You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Beginner

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
I live in UK, can somebody advise where I could buy a reasonably priced AirBrush please, I have no experience of using one, but it seems to be the best way to obtain a great finish on the toys.
Thanks.
Beginner.
KenFM

Reply with quote  #2 
Beginner
I live in North Wales and if you go to my posts KenFM look for the post dated 04/27/15 Air Brushing this could help. I use a single action external mix siphon feed airbrush H & HS PAASCHE available on e.bay opr Amazon I trust this will help
Ken
Beginner

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi KenFM
I have acquired the same paasche air brush you mentioned earlier.
Can you advise please, as to what make/size compressor I need to get for it?
ie what amount of PSI output etc.
Thanks.
Beginner.
KenFM

Reply with quote  #4 

Beginner

I have a Air Master Tiger from Machine Mart but I suggest you go to you tube and type in Recommended Airbrush Compressors This will point you in the right direction

Ken

Beginner

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank You KenFM
Advice greatly appreciated(as always).
Beginner
AES

Reply with quote  #6 
Only just a week ago I got an E-mail from Hobbies in UK. They had a special offer of an airbrush + carousel and hood with filter + compressor, all for 150 quid.

Although I'm in Switzerland I got the E-mail because I'd bought some stuff from them previously.

I don't know if the airbrush and compressor are any good or not, but just for info I paid MUCH more than that for a Badger 350, Badger 150, and matching "silent" compressor over 30 years ago, so the above kit may be worth a try. Hobbies are a reputable company so I'm sure that if it's no good you'd get your money back if your returned it.

It'll take me a little while but I'll dig up a link to their website and post it below in a short while.

HTH

I arrive in an upstairs room and can still remember what I went up there for, I consider that a triumph)!
AES

Reply with quote  #7 
Didn't take so long after all. Here's the link to Hobbies Ltd:

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/about-us

I arrive in an upstairs room and can still remember what I went up there for, I consider that a triumph)!
AES

Reply with quote  #8 
Here you are

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/about-us

BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
I can't make an informed comment without seeing exactly what you are buying.  I did look at the site.

The little spray booth (hood) is very similar to one that is widely available in the US. I almost bought one until I discovered that they don't move enough air for spraying anything but fine detail work. The filters will clog pretty fast and they are expesive to replace.

All most all the compressors sold for airbrushes are made by the same company in China they work fine but If they break for get getting any parts. They are throw aways. I know this because I bought two different models on eBay that were damaged in shipping.  The sellers gave them to me and refunded my money. I tried very hard to get parts and was told repeatedly that parts are not available. I have the cheapest compressor Harbor Freight sells in the US and it works OK but it works harder because it has no tank. If you can do it and you don't mind the noise I would look for a small standard compressor. Even a small pancake compressor like they use with nail guns will work. A larger compressor would have other uses as well.

Some of the airbrushes the sell look like the cheap China made ones. Very few parts are available for them. Tips and needles are about all you can get. Yes I have several. I could not resist the low price on eBay. Noe of the cost more than $20 US. They work but results vary. If you can't buy parts they break you toss them in the trash. In contrast Badger has parts direct and other sources such as eBay have them. Badger will rebuild/repair you airbrush for the cost of the parts plus shipping.

They also sell Aztek brushes in a fancy wood case. I can't comment on these.

I have 3 Badger 350s a 150 and 2 Badger Anthem 155s. For my money the badgers are the best. If you still have your badgers some heavy tips and needles are all you need to paint toys with them.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #10 
+1 for virtually all of Bad Bob's comments. You really can't judge such a kit without seeing it, but as above, Hobbies is a reputable firm so should be no problem to return it if it's "NBG". I don't know about the hood and filters - I use my own shop made carousel and a big cardboard box on its side (+ a mask for anything likely to be harmful = just about everything!). 

Like Bad Bob, I too am a confirmed Badger fan - even the "simple" 350 model is a very capable brush and is VERY well engineered to boot. And, just as BB says, they seem to support their brushes "for ever" - you can still return your brush to the factory for complete refurbish, AND I found an excellent company on line (in California I think) who sell all the spares at sensible prices. If you're careful, not reason why you can't replace seals needles, and paint tips yourself.

Like BB too, I use the medium and heavy paint tips on my 350 for spraying acrylic - still well thinned though.

My compressor is also Badger, a Model 180-1E, which is an oil-less diaphragm type. It's supposed to be "silent" but in reality  it makes a gentle "buzzing" - no problem at all. About the only "silly" thing is that it has no On/Off switch (so you have to plug/unplug it all the time). But I solved that by fitting an in-line On/Off cable switch - simple. As my previous post it's well over 30 years old now and although it is certainly not used every day, I use it quite a bit and it's never even stuttered. 

Unlike BB I do not use a tank/reservoir. I use the thick, braided cotton covered hose that Badger offer as an option, rather than the thin black plastic hose. Together with the oil/moisture trap (another Badger option), I think the long/thick optional hose acts as a "buffer" because experience no "puffing" at the airbrush end of the setup.

As ever I think the phrase "you get what you pay for" is very true in this area - certainly if I balance the many hours of use & pleasure I've had from both my Badgers and compressor, my "cost per hour" works out very well indeed, even though I spent a lot more than 150 quid 30+ years ago.

I have no idea what Badger stuff costs in UK these days, but hope the above helps a beginner. If you look back at Bob's previous post on stuff he's produced, he clearly knows what he's talking about!  My experience with toys is a lot less than his (though I have done a lot of modelling in the past).

Cheers

BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
One thing I forgot to mention about Badger airbrushes is that you can spray pretty much anything through them. The solvents will not eat the seals. This isn't true of some of the cheaper airbrushes. If you are only going to spray acrylics this shouldn't be a problem but if you want to spray lacquer you could have a problem with the Chinese airbrushes.

Badger air brush support is good. They are abit slow in responding to emails. However, I have had the company owner help me before.

One thing that no one currently has is an internal mix brush (top loader) that has a large enough tip to easily spray house pants. I would really like to be able to spray some heavy paint a drop or two at a time. If you hangout on the badger Facebook page looking at art work you start getting ideas.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #12 
Also agree with Bob about spraying "just about anything" with Badger airbrushes. I used to do a lot of aeromodelling, where weight, and therefore paint thickness, is VERY important. All my Badgers have handled cellulose dope (colour and clear) plus thinners with no problems at all. I hear these are generally regarded as among the most "corrosive" paints around - NO problem at all with the seals or anything else on the Badger - PROVIDED you clean everything thoroughly straight after use - cellulose dries very quickly.

Also, with mine, you got a very short but very helpful instructions sheet covering not only all the stripping & cleaning but also very good practice exercises. I found practice is VERY important with airbrushing - if you can master the exercises in the Badger instruction sheets BEFORE you start painting "real" stuff then you're almost guaranteed good results.

Good luck  

BadBob

Reply with quote  #13 
I've used dope before. You have to be very careful not to get it on anything you don't want it on. It will eat it up.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #14 
Yeah right! Especially foam polystyrene - just dissolves right before your eyes [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us