You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Patrick Kane

Reply with quote  #1 

Good Day All
I am new to this hobby. Just need a bit of advise. Do I start off with buying a  scroll saw or a band saw. my first project is going to be the Fab57 Ryder.Which sa would probably be best thanks in advance for your imput.
Patrick

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the forum! You ask a most important question.I see from your profile info that you are ready to start making toys during your retirement. Rest assured that you are starting down a fulfilling and fascinating path.

If I had to choose between a scroll saw and band saw I would buy a scroll saw. It has the most flexibility for making toys. I own both saws but mainly use the scroll saw for the smaller toy parts.

On large toys like the Fab57 Ryder I would recommend either a band saw using a 1/8" wide blade or just a standard scroll saw. A scroll saw will also make inside cuts that are holes that have no saw cut other than the hole outline.

When using a scroll saw, a drill is first used to make an opening in the inside of the hole pattern to be cut. The scroll saw blade is inserted through this drilled opening and then firmly clamped into the scroll saw. This is not possible with a band saw because the band saw blade is a one piece circular band with no ends to insert through the drilled opening inside the hole pattern. 

With a scroll saw you can make more types of toys than you can with a band saw. If you have a limited budget it would be an advantage to have one low cost version of each rather than an expensive version of one type of saw. Both saws are a great addition to any shop.

We look forward to seeing the Ryder photos on the forum. Post as much as you want. The forum has unlimited storage for photos, attachments and videos.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Patrick, I have both a bandsaw and several scrollsaws. If I could only have one for toy making it would be the scrollsaw. However, the bandsaw has it's place in toy making. With a bandsaw you can resaw lumber into thinner stock. 1/4 and 1/2 inch stock is used in many toys.

Get yuor scrollsaw first and when the need arises for a band saw start shopping.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Big Yin

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Patrick. Welcome to the forum. I am like yourself new to woodworking. I was in much the same dilemma a couple of months ago. I have recently bought a second hand scroll saw and it is more than adequate at present. I am on the look out for a second hand band saw to buy in the future.
I made the decision to buy second hand and hopefully get both, rather than get one new machine, to get the most out of my hobby.

Ian
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
Definitely the scrollsaw and then the bandsaw to cut the logs for the scrollsaw [rofl][idea]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
dustyoldman

Reply with quote  #6 
Patrick

I have both - my band saws are a 17" Grizzly and 12" Jet, and a 22" RBI Hawk scroll saw. Both types of saw have their place in the shop (in general), and in toy making.

I bought the Grizz first (new), and was going to swap blades when needed, but found it to be a pain in the backside, so when the Jet showed up (a CL purchase), I got it. I keep a 1/8" scroll blade on the Jet, the Grizz has a 1/2" blade.

As the others have pointed out, a scroll saw can do things a band saw can't do, regardless of the style blade - but the reverse is also true. The strong points of a scroll saw is it's ability to make cuts in tight spots - ie turning in its own blade width, and to make inside cuts. With the proper blade and a steady hand, you can make cuts which are ready for finish. Sadly, while I have the blades, I still need more practice on the "steady hand" part....I kind of wiggle when cutting...

The blades I use in the Hawk are the Olson Precision Ground series - I lucked in to them as the first ones I tried when I bought it - and at this point, I don't see switching to something else.

I've been making toys for 3 yrs for Toy's for Tots - they've been on the band saws (mainly the Jet) to date, this year I will be trying out the Hawk, and seeing how that works.

Which tool to buy is toss in my opinion - I based my purchases on what I wanted to do (project wise), and went from there.

Good luck

dom
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
You might want to consider which toys you are planning to make first and but the saw that is the most appropriate for the build. For example, my recent rocking horse build I only used the band saw. When making Play Pals its all scrollsaw work.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Patrick Kane

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks to everyone that replied. I have taken advise and bought a scroll saw.  I see I am going to have to do some practice first before I attempt the Fab 57. I notice when cutting the blade seems to drift to the right, am I doing something wrong   or maybe need bigger blade not sure.I fin if I push the wood a bit towards the left it seems to help. Maybe just need practice . Any help would greatly appreciated
Thanks
Patrick
dustyoldman

Reply with quote  #9 
Patrick

My guess would be that you are using blades in your saw that are stamped, not ground. The teeth on ground blades will be sharp on both sides, while stamped blades are sharp on one side.

dom
gazz

Reply with quote  #10 
I have the same problem even with named brands, just take it slow dont push to fast. Like anything practice, practice, practice,

Have a look on steve good website blog, he has a lot of free plans and videos on youtube.

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Patrick

Here is a youtube video that explains this issue really well. 
Dom is correct with his advise about blades. The Olson PGT (Precision Ground) blades that I use are much better than the generic stamped out ones.

Bandsaw blades have a similar issue, so lookout for that when you get your bandsaw.

Cheers
Rod T
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us