You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
My grandson Odin (aka Quality Assurance Tester) has convinced me that flat acrylic paints are not going to cut it for painted toys. So I tried clear coating.

These are what I have tried so far:

20170306_180418-Clear Coat.jpg 
The Rust-Oleum triple thick glaze looks like glass it you do your part. My only problem with it is it doesn't flow out really well so this means you need to put on a wet coat. I found it best to spray this outdoors in bright sunlight where I can see the reflections on the surface. I have one car a made that I sprayed this on bare wood and and gave it to Odin. His grandmother and his mom didn't want him to play with it. It was to pretty. It's now decorating my office. 

Krylon Crystal Clear Satin: This is my favourite of the three. It flows out fairly well so you don't need to spray it so wet like the Rust-Oleum. I also preferred the button on top of the can. Worked exactly as I had hoped.

Krylon Crystal Clear Flat: Works pretty much the same as the Satin. Except well its flat. It's really flat. Once it dried I could not tell I had painted it with out looking closely.

I could not find any Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss. In fact the Kylon paints have disappeared for the stores in my area. I haven been able to discovered what is up with that.

Today I was at Home Depot and purchased another can of Triple Thick Glaze along with two other cans of clear paint to try. They have clear paint with glitter that I elected not to try but it gave me some ideas. Hot Rods with metal flake paint.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
Making some progress with the clear coating.  I've decided that I really don't like the Rust-Oleum Triple Glaze. You have to put it on very thick to get a smooth glossy finish which in turn means that there is a good chance of getting sags or runs.

I kept getting rough spots seemingly at random. I think I finally figured it out. If there is any breeze blowing at all whe I'm spraying the over spray will swirl around an stick to surfaces that have already been sprayed. It feels almost like sand paper when it dries. i can't control variable winds and I can't/will not spray this stuff indoor. The finish isn't as good as I would like but at this poing there isn't much i can do about it.

2017-03-19 14.36.57.jpg

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
The finish on the wood toys shown looks perfect to me. The multiple coats and careful sanding between coats is obviously carefully done. I noticed how clean your drilled holes are on each toy. How did you get such nice detail with these and the cutouts for the windows?
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
Cut slow with a #5 skip tooth flying Dutchman blade. Make sure the blade is sharp. For the windows I like to use new or nearly new blade. If I mess up a window it's very hard to repair.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the detailed info BadBob!  I also prefer the Krylon paints over the other brands and have used the acrylic paint for color and clear spray for gloss for a while now.  It has worked well so far.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
My clear coating part of the project is complete or I should say I'm tired of sanding and respraying so I quit. I'll not be using the Rust-oleum Triple Thick Glaze again. Well I might use up what I have left but that's it. I think I have figured out what was causing my problem. This stuff needs to be sprayed when it dead calm. If there is a breeze the over spray swirls around. Some of it sticks to the other side giving it a rough surface. No spraying indoors for me not when the safety info says inhaling this stuff can cause brain damage. I need all the brain cells I can get.

In contrast the Krylon flat and satin went on as close to perfect as I can get from a rattle can. One coat and done. On shot one kill. Which means its a lot cheaper to use. I'm quite fond of the satin finish Krylon When I was in the store the other day I noticed that they had satin finish in color too. Some very nice colors I might add.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

KenFM

Reply with quote  #7 

For some years now I have been posting on the community forum on the subject of clear finishes. Like most beginners I tried various gloss sprays from a can only to take stock and look at what it was costing me and the fact most of the good ones were solvent based. For many years I owned a furniture restoration business in which we restored thousands of wood furniture and to apply a finish to match existing we used Waterborne Lacquers (purchased from Morrels UK) the cost of a gallon is at present £30 and it will last me for a very long time you could get the product from 10% to 90% gloss. I warm the lacquer before application by putting some into a glass jar and stand it in hot water for about 10 minuets (this is because I live in the UK and our average temperature this time of year is 10c) it also helps flow I use a gravity fed cup gun that cost £10 and unlike a spray can you adjust the spray pattern and avoid over spray and waste. In conclusion Waterborne finishes are the way to go safe all round and an easy clean up. Sorry to go on just trying to help

Ken

BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
That's a good point Ken.

I'm guessing that they humidity is pretty high in the UK. Where I live in Florida where 90% and higher humidity is common year round. Right now the humidity is 97%. Are there any issues or tips with using this type of lacquer that I should be aware of?

I've sprayed a lot of automotive lacquer and I certainly would not want to use that. Even if it were perfectly safe I would still need to deal with the solvents. I would also have to spend a lot more on airbrushes to be sure they would hold up to the solvent.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

KenFM

Reply with quote  #9 

Badbob

Although we have had a lot of moisture recently (rain) the waterborne lacquer works great I have used it over winter and summer and providing I warm it up in the winter it flows great and will dry quickly Solvent based lacquers will begin to dry as soon as they leave the gun and can give overspray.

Ken

Shortstack

Reply with quote  #10 
A big PLUS for waterborne paints is the fact that they dry/cure by air movement and not temperature.  A company called AutoAir Color makes several different lines of specialty paints for full sized autos, T-shirt artists, and illustrators that can all be intermixed to produce unlimited variations of tints and colors.  Some of their candy paints would give look great for accents on toy cars / trucks.  One product called Hot Rod Sparkle is a type of fine metal flake that reflects the base color that it's mixed with.  Now that I've become really interested in making wooden toy cars, I'll be using that line of paint for my full sized car on down to the tiniest toy.

The one HUGE drawback to these paints is how sensitive they are to humidity of which I know the UK is cloaked in and so is my home state of Mississippi.  MUGGY is a polite way to describe it. [biggrin]
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #11 
For the prime mover I posted I used a spray on finish which is satin from a company here in the UK call Chestnut products. I also use other sprays One which was mentioned in the first post is a glitter spray which are tiny bits of glitter this is made by Rust-oleum see the link to video and a picture of a bowl I made using that product and also another gloss finish I use is a lacquer used on cars as a final coat to protect the paint again in a spray can called U-Pol see the picture of the yew bowl for the finish but as can be seen it is a very glossy finish. Sorry for not being toys but these are the only pictures of these products on a finish item.
If using on toys they would need to be checked for safe use where children are used just like any finish that is used.

Video

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: DSCF7459.JPG, Views: 5, Size: 219.71 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSCF6918.JPG, Views: 4, Size: 351.51 KB 

Ron1963

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
A company called AutoAir Color

The company is Createx. They make a wide range of airbrush paints, their best all-around paint is Wicked. it can be used on fabric as well as hard surface.
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1963

The company is Createx. They make a wide range of airbrush paints, their best all-around paint is Wicked. it can be used on fabric as well as hard surface.

That is what I use for decorating some of the bowls great all round spray paint for airbrushes

Reply with quote  #14 
For me the greatest advantage to using the acrylics is the use of water for a solvent. About as non toxic as you can get and nearly free. Where you really see the cost savings is in the cleanup. Other paint thinners cost $10 to $20 a gallon and all of them are toxic. 

Cost wise acrylics are also a winner. Oops paint is the hands down winner for cost $0.50 US for 12 ox although the colors are limited to what you can find. House vs craft acrylics it's a toss up that depends greatly on which brand you use and where you buy it. Ounce for ounce they are all most the same cost. The made special for airbrush acrylics are dead last cost wise. This may not be an issue for you if you are making a one of a kind project but if your making toys in quantity the higher cost is a big issue.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #15 
Bob,

The Createx paints are also water based, which makes it great for toys. They have a wide variety of paints that are all Water based. The down side is costs..

Russ
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us