You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
JJ Hall

Reply with quote  #1 
Several months ago I purchased several hundred 1" treaded wheels with a 1/4" axle hole. I started mounting the wheels on my axles (also 1/4") but some of the axle hole in the wheels were a true 1/4" and others were larger. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to "shrink" the oversize axle holes. JJ Hall
AES

Reply with quote  #2 
Hullo JJ.

I share your annoyance with pre-made wheels (and with non-round dowels too BTW)!

I don't have a lot of experience with toy making, but up to now, what I've done with off-centre holes, or with holes that are too big, is to find a dowel that's a snug fit in the existing hole (if necessary you have to sand a larger dowel down to make a snug fit), then using normal white PVA wood working glue watered down about 50%, glue the new dowel into the hole. (The reason for watering down the glue is that if you have achieved a snug fit, you can be sure the glue gets into everything by capillary attraction).

When completely dry (I usually wait overnight 'cos the watered glue takes longer than normal to dry completely) cut off any excess with a fine-tooth saw, lightly sand, and then you're good to go with a hole of the correct diameter, and exactly in the centre! If at all possible, use either a drill press or at least a jig to ensure the new hole is at exactly 90 degrees.

HTH

AES

I arrive in an upstairs room and can still remember what I went up there for, I consider that a triumph)!
JJ Hall

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the reply. I'll try it out. JJHall
Auctioneer

Reply with quote  #4 

This is simple,

You make sure your hole in the wheel is round and at 90 Degrees

Make sure you dowel is round, if not make them round.

Cut the dowel to the length you want it.

With a scroll saw or fine saw, cut a slot (V shape) in the end of the dowel.

Slot length should be the depth of the hole in the wheel (wheel thickness).

With the grain running the same as the dowel.

Cut a wedge from a piece of wood (V shape) to go into the slot.

(This is the same concept is the wedge in the end of a Hammer handle).

Glue the inside of the wheel and the slot,

Put the wheel on the dowel

Drive the wedge into the slot, at the end of the dowel

Let dry, trim, and sand

When dry you will not get it off.

Just like MAGIC

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us