You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
xihunter

Reply with quote  #1 
I have not been making toys or anything else lately (except for the dollhouse) as I have been working on a thickness sander and crosscut sled.  The thickness sander is built to be both a thickness sander as well as a v-drum/flat sander.  I think this may need some work yet, but it can be worked on as I use it.  The motor is 3/4 horsepower right now, but a 1 horsepower motor might work better.  Wait and see right now...

Nothing fancy, but it works and that is what is important to me.
IMG_5029.JPG  IMG_5030.JPG  IMG_5031.JPG  IMG_5032.JPG 

I also have been wanting to build a crosscut sled for a very long time.  I finally found a design that I really liked and would allow me to use my dado blades, too.  This is what I came up with.  I have yet to build the box (finger) joint attachment for it, but that will be built at a later time.  I sure feel safer making cuts now with it.  Just don't want to get to relaxed, though....

IMG_5033.JPG  IMG_5035.JPG 

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice accomplishment on the sander and darn good to use. Are those roofing nails holding the strap banding down?
Peter B

Reply with quote  #3 
Why buy when you can build.
At hundreds of dollars for thicknessers and drum sanders you have savings and have pride of making tools
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Wow. To die for. This is a practical solution for a pro level drum sander. Well done.
xihunter

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, those are roofing nails holding the strap banding down.  So far, it is holding it.  I bought one of those link belts that are supposed to be vibration free.  And, it is!  I personally think it is well worth the money.

Thanks for the compliments!  It took me a while to do, but I know it will be well worth the money.  It will be nice for after resawing wood, that is for sure![biggrin] [thumb]
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
That Drum sander is excellent, I would love one of those. Commercial ones are so expensive.
Can I ask, when you are feeding a piece of wood into it, does it want to grab the wood and pull it through? I notice on the commercial versions there is a wide grippy belt that the wood lays on as it feeds.

The crosscut sled is one of the most used jigs in my workshop, I use mine all the time. 
It is such an excellent tool for cutting small pieces. You will get a lot of use out of this.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Rod T

xihunter

Reply with quote  #7 
Rod T:  Thanks!  The sander does have a tendency to want to grab the wood and want to throw it through the back.  It has happened a couple of times, but lesson LEARNED!  I do recommend that no one is ever allowed to stand on the back side though.

Between my homemade 12" disc sander and homemade thickness sander, two of my most used sanders will now be homemade ones!

My daughter is excited that both pieces are done so that I start on her loft bed that I said I would not start on until they were done.  I was thinking of doing a build blog in the All Other Woodworking Projects of Any Type category, but was not sure about it.  Still thinking on that one...
Rod T

Reply with quote  #8 
What about feeding the wood in from the back instead. This way you are pushing against it.
Might be a 2 man operation though, you may need someone at the other side to start pulling as the wood comes through. 

I have often thought of making one of these, I have a motor, pulleys, shaft and bearings. Also and old stand that will work. Just need to get myself organised (and time) to get it all together. You have inspired me to push further with this. I have been undecided whether to do one like yours or one that has the work surface on the top, above the drum. Like a Sandflee. I have a thicknesser, so only want to finish sand a flat surface.

Definitely do a build blog of the loft bed. It is always fun watching others build something and sharing.

Cheers
Rod T
xihunter

Reply with quote  #9 
I had thought about feeding from the back briefly, but not much thought.  The only thing would be it could be kind of like kickback on a table saw; you better not let go because it will fire right back at you.  

What I did when I was doing a couple of small pieces was use double sided carpet tape and taped it to a piece of plywood.  Then, I held onto the piece of plywood and pushed it and pulled it back and forth under the drum to sand it to thickness, then raised the bed up a little bit and back and forth I went.

If you look at the pictures, you can use it as a flat sander (such as a Sandflee), but the gap is kind of wide so it makes it hard to get a good flat surface on it.  I need to work on that part, but it works right now.  As I said earlier, it may need adjustments and changes, but it works right now and will get better over time.

A build blog might just be in the works then...
xihunter

Reply with quote  #10 
Update...

I changed my 3/4 horsepower motor to a 1 horsepower motor and the biggest difference in the world!  It takes a lot more to bog the motor down now and the finish is a lot nicer, too! [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us