You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I had a bunch of dowels to cut so I Goggled to see if I could find a faster or better way than what I have been doing. I didn't.  I was really surprised at the lengths people will go to to be able to cut a quarter inch dowel on power tools. Table saws even. They must love making jigs.

My fancy dowel cutting jig:

20170308_213518.jpg 
Not only is this faster than any jig I looked at, I didn't have to build anything. It's a failed experiment in building a wrench rack from BC plywood I pulled out of the trash. 

BTW the Japanese saw in the photo will cut through most dowels in a single swipe.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is genius stuff. Thanks for sharing.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #3 
ummm I don't know man that is just to simple, I sorry but you got to have them fancy jigs or your buddy's think you are a throw back to cave man days' [tongue][rolleyes]

But I like simple. I usually cut them on the bench with a small version of your saw that i got at hobby lobby. I have a small work board that has a square raised board. simple and the little saw makes short work of them pesky dowels [thumb]

Reply with quote  #4 
Mine took some work but it was really for cutting brass tubes. I make pens and sometimes you need to cut the brass. Starting using for dowels. It didn't out very good but it works and I can set the stop for repeatable cuts.

Russ

DowlCutoff - 1.jpg  DowlCutoff - 2.jpg 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
I didn't know they made a a chop saw that small. I bet it works pretty good.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
The only problem with my setup is that the spring clamps get harder to squeeze the more dowels you cut. I cut over a hundred last night and quit when my hand started cramping. I might need to dig out one of those cam clamps I have hid around here some where and see if I can rig a better/easier system.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
I didn't know they made a a chop saw that small. I bet it works pretty good.

Bob, I think it's made by one manufacturer, I bought mine at Penn State Indust but it had some wood fittings for brass tubes. They also sell it at Harbor Freight and Amazon. For small stuff, it works great but not sure how long it will last.

Russ
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
I found it at Harbor Freight. I would be concerned about the saw blade. I did a quick search and could not find replacements.

HF Mini Cutoff Saw.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Bob - I have two of these permanently set up - one for brass rod with a fibre blade and the other for dowel work. I think there are a range of blades available from Harbor Freight asd Dremel. My may drop-cut saw is a PROXXON MITRE SAW KGS 80 - just does anything and its a standard 85mm blade with a 10mm bore ... hope that translates into something standrad in USA mate!!!

T
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #10 
Forgot to mention that the blades for the Harbor Freight unit are 2" - fairly standard.
T
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Yes the KHS 80 is availabe here. I got sticker shock when I saw the price $256 US. I wonder if one of their blades would fit the Harbor Freight saw?

I probably wouldn't buy one anyway. If I wanted to cut them more precisely I would make a little miter box.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #12 
You're in luck - the KHS 80 is over $360 over here!! The blades don't fit the Harbor Freight unit as they are too big - but HF carry the wood blades, again far cheaper than over here!
Check HF 
2 in., 100T Mini Bench Circular Saw Blade 3 Pc - #42805 <$10 for three!

T

Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #13 
I tried to cut dowels on the table saw. They got launched all over the place. It needed a easter egg searching party to find them. I now use my vise and a japanese saw.

- Miriam -

Reply with quote  #14 
HF 2 in., 100T Mini Bench Circular Saw Blade 3 Pc - #42805

And here they are.

Now I'm a bit interested. I might actually come up with a good reason to try one of these. Although for now I prefer my handsaw. It's quiet and doesn't throw dust all over the place.

2 incn Circular Saw Blade.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

rdredge

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi!  If I need a bunch of dowels the same length, I tape 3 or 4 together and cut them with my scroll saw.  A lot quicker than one at a time.

You can never have enough clamps!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us