You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Hambone

Reply with quote  #1 
My current bench top drill press  makes it almost impossible to adjust belt speeds.  Any suggestions for a product that is more user friendly and will spare my hands and fingers?  Thanks.
Hambone

Hambone
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Hambone - Interesting problem. Both of my drill presses have the motor secured with a motor bracket. One side has a pivot pin assembly and other side has a tension slider bracket. Take a look at the photo below.

IMG_5634 A.jpg 
All I have to do is loosen the belt tension thumb screw (middle of the photo) slide the motor bracket closer to the thumb screw which relieves the belt tension and then change the belt position on the two pulley's. Once the new speed has been selected, I apply belt tension by pushing the motor bracket away from the thumb screw, then tighten the thumb screw and I am done. This is a quite common feature of many drill presses. Check your drill press to see if you have such a thing. There must be some sort of means to either increase or decrease the tension on your belt. Hope this helps.

Hambone

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your reply.  My Craftsman 9" drill press has this feature but won't move the motor to adjust tension.  The screw is useless.  I have hammered, used oil, etc but it barely moves.  Add this to hands with some cramping and arthritis and that is why a new drill press may be in order.  I am 81.  Your help and fine work is appreciated by everyone.

Hambone
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Hambone - I looked up the manual for this drill press and this is what I got.
Belt Tension Knob A.jpg 

For some reason the diagram from the manual shows that there are two (2) belt tension knobs, one on each side. Does yours have just the one (1) or two (2)?

Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #5 
I am thankful for the drill press I have it is one that adjusts speeds by moving a lever or handle either back or forth and it changes the speed of the press. I bought this at Menards about 5 or 6 years ago and with a digital speed readout and lazer sights or cross hairs and ample lighting it is the best .... I add but I have to say that this style of press eats belts if you are always changing the speed this belt I have on now I have had on for the past several years but I keep it at about 750 to 850 RPM but for the money I could not beat it in power or things that it can do. Then I have a Dremel press that is great for scroll saw work and polishing small items.
Don
Hambone

Reply with quote  #6 
The manual shows two model numbers. They are 137.219090 and 137.248030.  My drill press is 030 and has only one tension knob and it's on the right when facing the front of the drill press.  Maybe #090 has two knobs?  I knew very little about drill presses  5-6 years ago when I bought this.

Hambone
Hambone

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for your response.....I'll check Menard's (not familiar with the store
Hambone

Hambone
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #8 
Hambone;
   The drill press I bought was this one here the only thing I would do is order a few extra belts to have on hand.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/drill-presses/12-masterforce-drill-press/p-1498047-c-10086.htm

This is what I would call one butt kicking drill press and Masterforce is a pretty good product over all. The price is not to bad either at 229.00.
Don
Hambone

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks, Don.  Menard's is not around here....the drill press looks good.  I went to the masterforce website to review the 12" press.

Hambone
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #10 
My Ryobi drill press looks alot like the one in the pdf that Udie shared. To adjust speed, just work the belt one groove at a time. I could do a photo essay to clarify what I mean by this.
Jeremy 
Udie

Reply with quote  #11 
Jeremy (JTalbot) - Photo essay, sure, we would love to see it. So many drill press look the same, with only the printed Mfgr label being different.
Your essay will probably help a lot of member with similar problems.
Tkx
Udie
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #12 
Udie, I just posted in another thread, I will be doing some photos soon, and I will include speed adjustment, and other safety issues that need to be understood when using a drill press.
Jeremy

Sounds like a plan Jeremy - looking forward to seeing your post - Udie
Udie

Reply with quote  #13 
Sounds like a plan Jeremy - looking forward to seeing your post - Maybe you should start your own topic in the 'Discuss Tools and Machinery' section - Udie
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #14 
I've used this method COUNTLESS times, you just pull the belt up partially then rotate the pulleys until it slips off right?

I had to replace the drive belt on my snow blower and the manual basically said I had to disassemble the whole drive unit from the blower unit....kind of a pain in -35 in a blizzard at night...so I used this method, popped off the bad belt and popped the new one on....took me all of 10 minutes....

Hambone: since you've got finger troubles, and judging from the drawing Udie posted, you could probably put a 1" x 1" length of pine between the belt and the pulley and pull down while rotating the shaft (by the larger rear pulley). It would creep off onto the small pulley.....then repeat to the front and there you have it...belt change...(honestly though, I haven't changed mine from the day I bought it).....
Stevenm01

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi, I have a 9" Craftsman drill press with a single motor screw on the right side.  This loosens by a thumbscrew.  I too have arthritis and this drill press works well for me.  Sounds like you may have a fan belt that could be too small.  When you loosen the thumbscrew the motor should come forward easily to loosen the belt.  If there is no play there I would consider replacing the belt...I usually get one at an auto parts store because it is cheaper than getting one from Sears.  
Good Luck!

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us