You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
luckyyy13

Reply with quote  #1 
 Doing my 1st wood project... having all kinds of issues with the primer and paint...we primed everything...sanded it...took the primer off.... then painted and sanded as directed...took the paint off...repainted ..sanded ,..same thing happened...any suggestions?

Thank you,

Lucky
BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
Sounds like your sanding to much. Here is what I do.

• Sand the bare wood with coarse grit sand paper until every thing is even, the scratch pattern looks consistent and all the imperfections are gone. I start with 80 grit but I have had times when 60 or even 40 would have helped. If you can cut smooth and right on the line you might be able to get away with starting with a finer grit.
  • Resand through the grits sanding until the scratch pattern is even. Keeping in mind that the idea here is to get rid of the scratch pattern from the previous grit. The grit sizes 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 240, 320. Where you stop depends on what your finish is and what the material. keeping in mind that if you sand it to smooth some finishes will not stick well. Acrylic house paint will cover up a lot. You may be able to skip some of the grits that are close to the same size but don't jump to 220 and think your going to save time.
  • Spray the primer. What we are trying to do with primer is seal the surface and help the paint to stick better. Let the primer cure completely.
  • Now we are ready to sand. Use the same grit sandpaper you finished with. What we are trying to accomplish here is just to knock the fuzzies off. A smoothly sanded piece of pine with its first coat of primer on it will feel like sand paper because all of the fine fibers that were soft are now stiff and sticking up. Sand only until the roughness is gone and it's smooth to the touch.
  • Spray a light coat of paint let it cure and lightly sand again. Depending on what the finish is sanding may be required between coats. Shellac doesn't have to be sanded, Polyurethanes require it, and paints you have to read the instructions. However, for the smoothest surface you should sand between coats no mater what the finish. Your sanding to smooth out imperfections and in some cases provide a tooth for the paint to grab on to. I use 220 for paint and 320 for shellac and Polyurethene. As you work your way up through the coats the finish will become smoother each time. When you get it where you like it stop.

When you are sanding the first coats its not unusual to sand through to the wood in places. Corners are where I usually have this problem. Do be to concerned about it.

I hope this helps.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

luckyyy13

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks so much for your input Bob.  I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Lucky
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us