You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
We hope to launch this set in June along with the StarFleet X-Wing set. This set is super easy to make as you can see from the exploded view. The door-hood-lights lines or seams are made by cutting into the  various chassis and body parts, sanding a slight radius on the exposed edges, painting or staining to taste, then gluing the parts back in place.

All wood thicknesses are 1/2" and 1-1/2" which can be cut on about any scroll saw. The car wheels are 1-1/2" dia. and the camper wheels are 1-1/4" diameter. Axles are standard axle pins.

I found these a joy to make and folks kind of flip out when the see them. The promotion will include the woody wagon, the speedster and the tear-drop camper. Regular price will be $16.95 for all three plan sets and the launch sale price will be $12.50 for all three plan sets.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

001.png  002.png  003.png 

Meds853

Reply with quote  #2 
I give it 2 thumbs up! The other plans with campers, I would have a hard time letting a small child playing with it, to easy to break. Now this, I would make for a small child.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
+1 I'm really Looking forward to this one.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, Why does the design have the exhaust going all the way through the body? I find it difficult to glue these in and get them even. I find i much easier to drill half inch hols and use 1 inch long dowels. Even these will get stuck occasionally. Since they don't go all the way through the body I can just squeeze  them in with a vise or clamp. When building my Hot Rod Freaky Fords I like to give them a little squeeze in my vice. to get them all to seat evenly.

This requires an extra step. To position the holes correctly on both sides I make a hardboard template. It's the pattern for the body with small holes centered where the exhaust pipes go. I position the template and mark the spots for drilling with an awl.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
I see your point. I will change the design to be drilled from both sides. That will also end the tear-out problem where the drill bit pushes through the opposite side of the body. Thanks for the tip!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
I see your point. I will change the design to be drilled from both sides. That will also end the tear-out problem where the drill bit pushes through the opposite side of the body. Thanks for the tip!

I was afraid that I would not be able to explain it well enough without photos. I came up with this method when I was trying to solve a problem I was having with the wood tearing out between the holes. It helps some with that as well.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

TomDullage

Reply with quote  #6 
These look like great fun! I'm a beginner with the scroll saw, so those curves will be quite a challenge, I'll probably have to tackle a few easier builds first.

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDullage
These look like great fun! I'm a beginner with the scroll saw, so those curves will be quite a challenge, I'll probably have to tackle a few easier builds first.

The thicker pieces like the body will be the hard part.

For practice I suggest the Play Pals. Free and simple. You can cut them any thickness you want and if you mess it up your not out anything but a small piece of wood.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #8 
Another good looking set John....

Reply with quote  #9 
Looking good John.
I can see this one would be easy to scale up and open up the windows etc. 

Tom, Bob is right, the thicker body pieces would be the hardest bit. You can also cut these out of 2 pieces of 3/4 inch stock and glue together. Easier to cut, but more sanding etc to get them to align up. 
You can also drill holes for the lights and insert little dowels, rather than cutting out the lights on the scroll saw. 
I am always modifying the plans to suit my abilities or tools, so don't feel that you have to stick exactly to the plan.
The Play Pals are a great start, also have a look at the Wild Woodys in the $2 bargain bin. These are a little bigger that the Play Pals but also have guards to cut and glue on.

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
+1 on the modifications I hardly ever follow the plans exactly. A lot of times I'm modifying the plans to fit the material I have.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Camnight

Reply with quote  #11 
John I like this one can't wait,I might have to do a boat so my grandkids can change over, out of 14 grandkids 10 of them go camping and boating all the time. They will love it, thank you for the great plans you do.

George
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks for the suggestions, Bob & Rod, I have just downloaded the Play Pals set. Plenty of scroll saw practice ahead!

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
I found these a joy to make and folks kind of flip out when the see them. The promotion will include the woody wagon, the speedster and the tear-drop camper. Regular price will be $16.95 for all three plan sets and the launch sale price will be $12.50 for all three plan sets. (The launch sale price ended up actually $14.50 not $12.50 for the three sets of plans.)

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

001.png  002.png  003.png 
. The set seems to be launched and it sure is a nice set, I like that it's basic components to make an attractive set. John would you have a photo of the car/s and trailer that you made and showed people for the forum viewing?
toolow

Reply with quote  #14 
John, Which price is it - - - $12.50 or $14.50 on the plans page?
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #15 
The price is actually $14.50. We raised the cost $2 because with the teardrop, coupe and wagon it it still figures less than $5 each for the set of three patterns. A lower cost than that doesn't cover our expenses on this one. Sorry for the confusion.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us