You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
Four trailer variations. I started tinkering with this when I gave Odin the first one with a flat bed trailer. The first thing he did was grab a car and put it on the trailer. Of course it promptly rolled off.

All of the variations I tried are not here. Some of theme worked so poorly I either redid them or threw them away.

I want to make toys you can play with not just look nice. A truck that you can't haul anything on just doesn't seem right to me.

2017-05-06 19.57.50.jpg

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #2 
These look great Bob I will have to try some when I get time.

Reply with quote  #3 
Great ideas
Greg

Reply with quote  #4 
They look good  [thumb][thumb] 
  I "modified" a trailer to hold business cards on my display table at shows but never made the next step for the kids I will have to try out some of your ideas
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
Great ideas and well done. Thanks for sharing.
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
Looks like you have solved the problem of the cars sliding off. 
Those 2 trailers at the bottom with the lip all the way around them should do the trick.

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T
Looks like you have solved the problem of the cars sliding off. 
Those 2 trailers at the bottom with the lip all the way around them should do the trick.

Cheers
Rod T

They don'r work as well as toy woulds expect. A Standard play pal car will roll over the smaller lip when the trailer is tipped to around 5 degrees. I expected the hot wheels car to work better but nope it didn't.  The one with the thick 1/4 inch high rim works ok It will hold a Play Pal car up to about 45 degrees hot wheels again are about the same.  It;s good enough. I'm waiting for the paint to dry so I can put wheels on and see what it looks like. I thik either of them would work great wit blocks cut to fit.

My QA guy is chomping at the bit to get hold of the big trailer with the high sides. Everytime he thinks about it he asks if its ready yet.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
I painted these two trailers with Anita's All Purpose Acrylic Craft Paint. I didn't use a primer or sealer coat of any kind. The paint was applied with a brush just as it came from the bottle. This is the first coat of paint.

I was quite surprised at how well it covered the wood. The orange paints I have used in the past did not cover well at all. Usually requiring multiple coats to get to the point where I could not see through it. It raises the grain a lot but I expected this. Water based finishes of any kind will raise the grain.

2017-05-08 18.20.48 - Wooden Toy - Play Pal - Trailer - Truck - Orange - Anita's - Acrylic - Craft - Paint.jpg  2017-05-08 18.20.48 - Wooden Toy - Play Pal - Trailer - Truck - Orange - Anita's - Acrylic - Craft - Paint

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
This box trailer version was painted with blue Behr Oops paint from Home Depot with just a little Flowtrol  added.  The Flowtrol slows drying and helps the paint to flow out smoother. Flowtrol doesn't help much when I painting on raw wood with a brush but it helps when spraying on smooth surfaces with an airbrush.

House paint doesn't raise the grain near as much as the craft paint does.  I also seems to be more durable than the craft paint. It doesn't rub off like some craft paints. It is cheap and available in a wide array of colors.  Of course oops paint is only available in the colors they have messed up. I check the paint department at Home Depot every time I'm in the store looking for bright colors.  This can of paint cost fifty cents.

2017-05-08 18.38.06 - Wooden Toy - Play Pal - Trailer - Truck - Blue - Behr - Paint - Acrylic.jpg  2017-05-08 18.38.06 - Wooden Toy - Play Pal - Trailer - Truck - Blue - Behr - Paint - Acrylic

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
I sometimes see sample jars of Glidden Oops paint at my local Home Depot.  I only have 3 cans of it on hand. This was a lighter pink than the Behr I have been using and I wasn't expecting it to cover as well as it did. The trailer in the photo has one coat of paint on bare wood.  It needs  second coat but that will do it.

Sometimes when you buy oops paint the color on the out side of the can doesn't quite match the actual paint color. I think they just don't bother to mix it well before they paint the outside of the can. This was one of those. It was much lighter after it was thoroughly mixed.

I added Flowtrol to this can of paint to help it flow out better. I add about 1 tablespoon or so unmeasured. I just pour what looks like a good amount and  mix it up. I always mark the can so I'll know if I have added it.

This trailer is designed so a standard Play Pall toy car, truck, or van/bus will fit on the trailer and not roll off to easy.  It's not elegant but it works. It also keeps  hot wheels and match box cars in place .  A toy car hauler.

2017-05-08 18.44.30 - Wooden Toy - Play Pal - Trailer - Truck - Pink - Glidden - Paint.jpg  2017-05-08 18.44.30 - Wooden Toy - Play Pal - Trailer - Truck - Pink - Glidden - Paint

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #11 
Wow, that is really great coverage with the orange. I haven't had much luck with the orange I use.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiejane
Wow, that is really great coverage with the orange. I haven't had much luck with the orange I use.

I bought some Behr orange house paint thinking that if there other paint worked so well perhaps their orange paint would work well too. Not! I took half the can of paint to get consistent smooth color. It was interior paint. At some point I'm going to try their exterior paint in orange.

The krylon spray orange works very good too.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us