You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #1 
DSC06080.JPG  DSC06087.JPG  DSC06093.JPG 
Hi to all the toymakers,

Attached are photographs of my latest project which has kept me quite busy the past few weeks. My bill of materials showed that more than 200 parts had to be made. I made the mistake however of choosing  a too small scale which really resulted in a big challenge in making the smaller components. Some of the parts had to be remade 2 to 3 times until I was happy with it.

I used a variety of woods that I had available which included imbuia, oak, balau, origon pine, rhodesian teak, silky oak, wild olive and good quality imported ply wood. I sprayed the truck with wooddock 10 varnish.

Regards

Dolf

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
Oh that is one nice dump truck.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice work in contrasting woods.[thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Andrey

Reply with quote  #4 
очень красивый грузовик. шикарная работа. мастерски подобрана древесина. Поздравляю с прекрасной работой. Интересно было бы посмотреть на хронику производства грузовика, если такая есть. 

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
this is truly another Dolf masterpiece. This is an impressive dump truck. What is the size? It looks like it would be a large model with at least 3" diameter wheels.
Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks to all for the comments! Much appreciated.

John,

The dimensions are the following:

Length:        = 350 mm
Width:         = 113 mm
Height:        = 160 mm from the ground
Wheel dia:   = 49 mm (approximately 2")

Yes, if I had made the wheel diameter 3", the truck and detail would have been easier to make.

I tend to make my toys small as space is at a  premium. To make matters worse, we want to relocate, down sizing in the process. My workshop will then more than likely reduce in size by 50% and so will storage space for the toys in the house. Selling the toys now become a serious option. I appreciated your workshop outlays for the new level of toys that you have posted. It is more or less how I see my future workshop when we relocate.

Thanks and regards

Dolf
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
That is amazing detail for such a small scale. I admire your high level of skill and attention to the finest detail.

About the level 1 and level 2 workshops-I really like the small size of the shops. They are both very efficient to work in. I have a dedicated shop vac hooked up to each tool which makes it convenient when trying to keep everything on the clean side. We just moved to a new house this year as part of my retirement plans and that required a new shop setup. I am 72 this year and look forward to a long life of designing and making toys in these two shops.

Both shops are in a tiny space but I really enjoy being able to switch from one tool to the other while standing in just about the same space. Even a rocking horse is not too big for either shop setup. And I was able to buy everything off-the-shelf at the big box stores. I didn't want to waste any time building tables, shelves and cabinets.
Tony

Reply with quote  #8 
That is so realistic looking, what a fantastic job.
Tony

Reply with quote  #9 
Well done Dolf.

I can't imagine the patience it took to build this truck.I'm pretty sure I don't have the patience to do that kind of detail LOL

thanks for sharing this wonderful truck....

Reply with quote  #10 
This is a masterpiece.  So full of details wonderfully accomplished.  Thanks for sharing this inspiring work.
Cindy
Bucko

Reply with quote  #11 
A big " Well Done" for sure, so many nice features. The wheels look like those that were shown by a link on a forum post here on the site, by any chance did you make the wheels from that tutorial Dolf?
Udie

Reply with quote  #12 
Dolf - this is a jaw dropper.

So many great pieces - radiator grill, front bumper, moon front hub caps, steps on gas tank just to name a few.

Not sure, but I think I am seeing some sort of rear axle assembly and possibly a drive shaft maybe.
If that is the case, can you post a bottom view.

This project is just a great piece of workmanship.
Thanks for posting.

Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #13 

All, 
Thanks for all the comments.

Udie, I am attaching a photo of the bottom of the truck.As you will see, the rear wheels form part of a bogie and yes there is drive shaft coupled to the diff.

DSC06090.JPG 

Bucko,

The wheels I designed myself. I used photo's on the internet to get as close as possible to the real wheels.

Thanks and regards

Dolf

Bucko

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks for the reply Dolf, if you get time look at the link I'll add and see the similarity in the wheels. I mention this as I'm debating wheels for a crane truck to start shortly. http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Making_Toy_Highway_Style_Wheels
George

Reply with quote  #15 
The more I see of what some people do, the more I realize how far I have to go. The truck is beautiful, and a fine example of what can be done with a little wood, a little imagination, and close attention to details.

Toys Without Batteries

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us