You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
I need 10 doors for the Freightliner series. So I cut out 10 pieces of 1/16th thick basswood and stacked them by double sided tape and then covered them with blue tape. Cut them out, windows too, when I removed the tape to separate, 5 of them were broken.

Any suggestions as to the proper procedure for cutting out multiples of same item but 1/16th of an inch in thickness.

Man, is it hot here in Florida,
Don
Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow Don that's thinner than I've used before, I'd guess though to try some w/o the double stick tape but wrapped somehow in a stack to get some thickness for support of the basswood. Just a thought though---
Peter B

Reply with quote  #3 
Don, did you cut the window out before or after you did the outer frame of the window.
Not knowing much about basswood but guessing its in the hardwood range and that tight (multiple) grain vs number of blade teeth didn't agree with each other.
Your thought pattern with double sided tape and blue tape is understandable as it holds the pieces tight together but cutting so many of hardwood can also cause the blade to curve.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
I've got another thought, as your pcs are so thin maybe a straight edge and sharp utility knife cutting very carefully will get it done? Hopefully your hands don't shake Don on that method--
Tony

Reply with quote  #5 
My thought would be to cut your 1/16" pcs to size as well as two 1/8" plywood. With one 1/8" on top and one on the bottom holding tight and wrap with painters tape. Now you can apply your pattern and cut your interior cuts first then the outer edge. This is how I do all my stack cutting but most are 1/8" minimum so no need for the extra top and bottom pieces.

Tony

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the suggestions, it will be a great help. I tried the straight edge and xacto knife. Not very good at cutting this way, was a mess.

It seems that some were surprised at me using 1/16th thickness, if not what are others using? This is a learning experience, from top to bottom. I want to express my deepest gratitude for all the help given by those with more experience.

Have a great 4th of July,
Don
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey Don,

Another thought is to use CA Glue. I stack cut thinner stock and will use a dot of CA between pieces. 

I will drop it in the waste areas an then I will cut the outside shape leaving the inside cuts till last. I might have to add a couple of pieces of packing tape in case I managed to cut off my glued spot.

just my 2 cents worth LOL

Have a good one

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi - I've cut out 1/16th inch or thinner, veneers.  I sandwich all the pieces between 2 1/8th" pieces, these are the sacrifice pieces.  I use packing tape to make the sandwich very tight, make sure that tape is on all side.  The thickness of the sandwich needs to be a minimum of 1/2" to avoid the center pieces from breaking on a #5 scroll saw blade (learned from experience).  Start cutting in the center and keep as much of the tape holding the sandwich together.   This has worked for me and I hate having the sacrifice piece but that has saved the more expensive veneers.  And with the bottom piece, there is no tearout on such delicate pieces. 
Hope this helps.  
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks! This is a brilliant way to cut multiple identical thin pieces of wood. I have needed this info for years and appreciate you sharing it with us.
FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #10 

Don, mentioning how hot it is down there in Florida... since the pieces are only 1/16 of an inch, Have you tried wood burning with a thin wood burning tip and a straight edge? 

I use a Coleman Wood Burner and have blades for it that are like Exacto blades. Cuts through thin material like butter. 

Just a thought and a recommendation. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us