You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I need to paint over 100 small parts and I'm looking for suggestions for holding them while the dry/cure. By small I mean 1 inch and smaller. I need a method that is fast easy and cheap.

I've used these:

Harbor Freight Spring Clamps 001.jpg
They work pretty well but can be difficult to get a good grip on round objects. The metal ones work too but take up even more room. A already have a bunch of them but not nearly enough.

I'm thinking of getting some alligator clips. This was sparked by the alligator clips on bamboo skewers they sell on ebay for this purpose. These are cheaper.  I can add my own skewers If I need them.

100 Pack Alligator Clips.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

cbroughton

Reply with quote  #2 
I would think alligator clips could leave a mark, they can be pretty strong. But they do seem like a large quantity for a pretty good price.

I'm assuming there are no holes in these pieces to hang off bamboo skewers or thread onto finishing line?

Do they have an unfinished backside? What about blue stick tac on a popcicle stick or something?
xihunter

Reply with quote  #3 
I have often used the Ken Martin way of things.  Hot glue the piece to a nail and stick the nail in a piece of styrofoam.  You just put the hot glue in an area that will be hidden when you glue the piece to another piece and you don't have to worry about the bare wood then.

Much like:
http://forums.toymakingplans.com/post/how-to-safely-and-accurately-work-with-small-parts-7791093?highlight=styrofoam&pid=1289862872
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbroughton
I would think alligator clips could leave a mark, they can be pretty strong. But they do seem like a large quantity for a pretty good price.

I'm assuming there are no holes in these pieces to hang off bamboo skewers or thread onto finishing line?

Do they have an unfinished backside? What about blue stick tac on a popcicle stick or something?

Yes alligator clips might leave a mark but I would not use them where it would matter.

No holes to use.

Modelers use the alligator clips extensively.

Blu-Tack might work but it's expensive and even though they say you can reuse it this would mean you would need to remove it and store it somehow.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xihunter
I have often used the Ken Martin way of things.  Hot glue the piece to a nail and stick the nail in a piece of styrofoam.  You just put the hot glue in an area that will be hidden when you glue the piece to another piece and you don't have to worry about the bare wood then.

Much like:
http://forums.toymakingplans.com/post/how-to-safely-and-accurately-work-with-small-parts-7791093?highlight=styrofoam&pid=1289862872

I had forgotten about Ken's nail method. I've used it before and it work well for the number of pieces I used it for. I would need to make sure I could get the hot glue off.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Just to add a little food for thought.

Here is the sanario. Imagine your making 10 sets of Freaky Ford's. That's 40 cars. Each car has 6 exhaust pipes. That's 240 exhaust pipes. One inch long dowels that need more than 1/2 their length painted. Imagine that you want to be able to repeat this on some sort of regular basis. You would want something that was fast, easy, repeatable, reusable and cheap.

Also each of the cars use 4 axle pegs that need their hubs painted. I have a method that works for these but doesn't work for the exhaust pipes due to the area that needs to be painted. This method does not work for the smaller axle pegs.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Bob

What about Bulldog clips.
Available in various sizes and cheap from an office supplies or Stationery supplies place. 

These ones pictured could be strung onto a piece of string and hung up, then clip the dowels into them.

Just and idea. They might not mark the work as much as the alligator clips.

Cheers
Rod T
JB32FB20BK_j_burrows_32mm_foldback_clips_20_pack.jpg 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T
Hi Bob
What about Bulldog clips.

Good idea. I use these a lot for other things.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
One thing I thought of is putting small hole with a dental probe or similar and inserting a tooth pick. After painting insert the toothpick in a hole drilled in a piece of plywood much like what I do now for car bodies.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

adeafguy

Reply with quote  #10 
In addition to toys I do some furniture.  I have often drilled a small hole in an unseen location on the part.  Then used a small cup hook. this allows me to hang the parts in my paint area.  I just did 2 motorcycles.  A lot of small parts. 

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeafguy
In addition to toys I do some furniture.  I have often drilled a small hole in an unseen location on the part.  Then used a small cup hook. this allows me to hang the parts in my paint area.  I just did 2 motorcycles.  A lot of small parts. 

I like that idea. I could hold it with some long nosed locking pliers.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeafguy

I like that idea. I could hold it with some long nosed locking pliers.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #13 
I needed to paint 200+ small dowels and needed some way to hold them. I ask the question in the toy makers forum and got a lot of good suggestions. The problem with these suggestions were that they only work well if your making one toy and only need to hold a few parts. I needed a much better solution that would work for lots of parts.

I finally concluded that I needed something that worked perfectly for the parts I was making. It had to be cheap and easy to make.

The part is exhaust pipes for my Hot Rod Freaky Fords.

20161126-090212 - Etsy - Wood Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Sedan - MDF - Air Brushed Pink Acrlyic.jpg   

These are 1 inch long dowels that are glued into 1/4 inch deep holes. They need to be painted and leave enough pare wood for gluing.

The first thing I came up with was this.

20170409_211459.jpg 

20170414_193704.jpg 
I just grabbed a piece of plywood that I had already and went to work. After I started painting I soon discovered that not only was it not big enough but that you need at least twice as many holes as the number of parts. What are you going to do with these parts while you are adding the second coat of paint or clear coat.

The holes are 1/4 inch deep on 1/2 inch centers.  Drilled to my next larger bit size. If the holes are not bigger the parts will get stuck.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

vj

Reply with quote  #14 
I use this method for axle pegs, exhaust pipes, smoke stacks...  I took an old shoe box and an awl.  The awl plunged all the way in made a 1/4" hole.  For smaller axles... I simply made smaller holes.  For larger holes, I enlarged the 1'4" with the tang of a file.  I filled the bottom of the box with holes and can spread out dozens of axles or smoke stacks.  Works like a champ.  The axle hub, or the end of the exhaust gets painted, the glued part does not.  And it's cheap!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #15 
I'd go through a lot of shoe boxes. My method is is a bit time consuming to make but it's reusable for a long time. It's very cheap to make. So far everything has been made from left over pieces of plywood. The next one I make is going to be made from  MDF because it's flat and heavy. If actually had one of my grids turn over on me when I added a freshly painted car body to ahome on the edge. It was a large chunk of MDF on a dowel and i spun around when I let it go. I have also considered drilling al the way through and putting a backer on the bottom to make it heavier and have deeper holes.

Just in case it wasn't clear. I also use these for car bodies and wheels by inserting a dowel. in an available hole.
20170501_213841-Wheels.jpg

20170418_205516.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us