You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
I ordered a Dewalt DW 788 Scroll Saw. Suppose to be here Monday the 20th. I'm so excited. According to the manual I down loaded, it requires a 5" unpinned blade. Would like suggestions as to blade numbers/type and brand to order. I understand that in the long run, blade use is a personal preference, I would like to order what you guys use most of.

Also any suppliers you might recommend over another.

Thanks a bunch, Don
dustyoldman

Reply with quote  #2 
'dawg

Congrats on the new iron - that is always fun - the anticipation of hitting the power switch.....

Blades - I use Olson PGT type - available locally. Someday I will try Flying Dutchman.

DOM
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #3 
Flying Dutchman from Mike's Workshop ... although Mike is now retired the name and company lives on - great selection of blades and small drills.
I get these from USA and the shipping is great and low priced - I get the gross (144) packs - even more economical.

I have some Olsen blades that I purchased locally and use occasionally but usually reach for the Flying Dutchman. FD have a great VERY thin and fine tooth jigsaw blade that is excellent.

Tony
Rod T

Reply with quote  #4 
Awesome Don, I am sure you will be pleased with the new saw. 

When doing my research on saws it came down to the DeWalt or Excalibur.
Then finding out that the DeWalt was not available in Australia, I went with the Excalibur. 

Blades. It sounds like you have only used pinned blades in the past.
You have a much better and varied choice with pinless blades.

The Olson PGT blades have been a long time favourite of mine. I mainly used the Skip Reverse Tooth No. 5, No.7 and No.9 depending on the thickness of material I am cutting.
But I have recently discovered the Flying Dutchman blades that Tony mentioned. Even with shipping to Australia they are a lot cheaper. 
Although I have only used a few of the Flying Dutchman blades, I am still leaning towards the Olson PGT.
Maybe I need to order some different varieties of the FD blades and try them, as a lot of people seem to prefer these over the Olson PGT.

The Flying Dutchman blades are however (in my opinion) much better than the standard blades from Olson. 
In case you don't know, the PGT stands for Precision Ground Teeth. Much sharper and straighter cutting than standard punched out blades. 
Makes a huge difference when cutting 3/4" thick or thicker.

If you haven't used pinless blades before, you are in for a treat.
Once you narrow down your preferred one, you are really going to enjoy the smooth cuts and lack of sanding afterwards.

Cheers
Rod T

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #5 
With pin-less as well as the wider variety you'll find its great to drill a very small hole for internal work - it just opens up a wider view of possibilities .... welcome to the pin-less club!!

Tony
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks to everyone for the information and advise. I am really excited about the new saw. The opportunities that face me are unlimited.

I am considering ordering some #3 #4 and #5 blades. Also considering some of the circular blades in the low numbers. Sound like a good start?

Thanks Don
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #7 
One other blade to look at is the "Pegas" Brand, I just started using them recently (as if I needed more blades) I have used mainly Flying Dutchmen and a small batch of Olsen PGT.

#3, #5, and #7 are my goto blades for all most the toy's I make, and other random stuff.

I like the Pegas blades really well so far, you can darn near cut a straight line with out moving your piece a couple of degrees to the left to follow that line on the pattern.

Everyone has their favorite blades lol, some blades will give you beautiful smooth cuts with almost no sanding, then some blades will cut more coarse and you have to sand a fair amount.

The big thing is to set speed and tension so that everything goes along smoothly.

Oh I also cut a fair amount of 2x4 boards on mine for some of the toy's and I tend to use a #9 blade, anything smaller can tend to flex a fair amount... these are just my FYIW thoughts  

Reply with quote  #8 
I have only ever used Flying Dutchman blades. They are an excellent brand and the Mike's workshop company give excellent service. I order from New Zealand and the blades are here within a week. Last time I ordered the postage was only $3.
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #9 
Great information.  I have been wondering how to get them.  Also what and where do you recommend for band saw blades>  Would appreciate any information on that

PaPa Jack
AES

Reply with quote  #10 
Glad you've got a new saw on the way. Great feeling with a new toy, eh? [smile] 

The Deltas have a very good reputation this side of the pond but although other Delta tools are common here, I've never ever seen a Delta Scroll Saw, they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.

Personally I major mainly on Pegas blades, normally the same number sizes as above, plus also, sometimes Niqua blades, plus an "own brand" label called "Lux Tools" which are apparently made in Germany and freely available in the typical DIY Emporium-type stores over here. Don't know if they would be available in the US though - doubtful probably.

But my own experience is that blades become a rather personal choice - I got used to mainly one brand and generally stick to it.

For band saw blades I use a small UK company called Tuffsaws, in common with very many other members of a European wood work Forum I belong to. I guess he would do mail order to the US as he certainly does cheap and reliable mail order to mainland Europe.

The big advantage apart from excellent service and sensible prices is that the owner, Mr. Ian John, is very helpful and offers very reliable advice if you're not sure exactly what you want/need, and he makes the blades up into exactly the right size for your own particular saw. I stress NIL connections with this company except as a satisfied customer. The web site link is:

http//tuffsaws dot co dot uk

and this has a lot of useful standard information plus as above, you can ask any questions you like and be sure of a direct and correct answer. But I've no idea if mail order to the US would be a sensible option for you from the cost/duty viewpoint.

Hope that helps and enjoy the new saw.

I arrive in an upstairs room and can still remember what I went up there for, I consider that a triumph)!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 

+1 Flying Dutchman from Mike's Workshop

If you are uncertain you can get a sample pack.

I use #5 and #7 skip tooth almost exclusively. Even for cutting 2x4s.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #12 
How is the new saw Wooddawg?  I've been eyeing that model for a while but have held off on buying it until I develop better skills on the ones that I have.  Can you tell a difference in how it performs?
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #13 
IT IS HERE!!!!!!!

I am like a kid at Christmas, absolutely giddy.

I cut my first wood with it last night. I can't believe the difference. I used one of the setup blades that came with the unit. Even using the enclosed blade, the marked improvement is just unbelievable. Can hardly wait to get accustom to my new saw.

Do need to get one of those desk lights with magnification. Eyes just aren't as young as they used to be.

WOW!!!!!!
Don  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #14 
Bright lights can be helpful. I recommend LEDs in the 6500K range aka Cool White. Make sure it puts out a lot of light. Anything with batteries or a wall wart is a waste of time.

If you have something you can screw a standard bulb into I highly recommend the GE 32287 LED Bright Stik. It uses 10 watts of power gives you 760 lumens at 5000K. its not as white a light as I would like but it will fit in places other LEDs can't.

I'm planning to put LED flood lights on an old halogen work light stand to use for this. You would need some electrical skills to use one of these but the price is right. You can find the ten watt floodlight for under $10 US. I have a 30 watt LED flood that cost me 11 dollars and puts out 2280 lumens of 6500K light. It is way brighter than the halogen lamps that were on the stand and it will not burn you. 

I don't use a magnifier (yet).

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #15 
I have a few of these in the shop and although it is a different profile I'm sure it came from Rockler. The Hi Temp LED lights and magnifier are a treat! Mine also came with a spot-light head that I don't use. Mine was mains driven and magnetic base.
Great for scroll-sawing and fine fine work. The movable arm is a great asset!

TonyMag Light.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us