You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
xihunter

Reply with quote  #1 
My Dad turned 75 this past week and as a surprise present for him, I took some old elm boards that he had stowed away in his barn, some walnut, soft maple, some birch dowels, and a little piece of his old barn to make him a model of a tractor.  He farmed for nearly 35 years of his life so I could not think of a better present for him! (I just had to make two...one for me too!)2016-04-17 0458.JPG 2016-04-17 0460.JPG 2016-04-17 0462.JPG 2016-04-17 0463.JPG          
2016-04-17 0464.JPG

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
Well done indeed, great look. Those rear tires are stunning, would those be cut slots in the tire and a piece of wood put into the slot for the tread?
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
These are magnificent pieces of craftsmanship and as fine as an example of a wood toy tractor that I have ever seen.
gazz

Reply with quote  #4 
These are two great tractors with nice details, did you work from plans. it always fascinates me how some people can look at a picture or a document and make a model from it, I wouldn't know ware to start.

I bet your dad will love it especially when he finds out ware the wood came from.

Reply with quote  #5 
Bucko:  You are correct.  The tires were made in halves and each slot was cut with an 1/8" dado blade.  A piece of wood was then glued into each slot.  I also love how the grain "popped" on the rear tires when sprayed with varnish.

John:  Thank you for the compliment.

Gazz:  I did work from plans (Toys and Joys).  My Dad did love it.  He could not believe how real it looked along with all the little pieces.  He also was fascinated with the rear tires.
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
xihunter
Great job on the tractor.
What a perfect gift for your dad.
xihunter

Reply with quote  #7 
Udie:  Thanks!
Tony

Reply with quote  #8 
Great job and a special one at that.
Tony

Reply with quote  #9 
Very nice.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #10 
These are wonderful. The detail and the fit and finish look great.
I'm guessing these took a lot of time to complete with all the cut's and fitting.

Thanks for sharing these here. These kinds of things always inspire me as well as others.

Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you for the kind comments!
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #12 
Excellent tractors luv um. [thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #13 
Your tractors came out beautifully! I love your rear wheels and as you said, the wood colour and grain "popped out"  great with the varnish.

I notice that you also battled with the treads on the rear wheels. I had the same problem with mine. The grooves in the 2 halves of the wheels are supposed to be staggered when put together to form the wheel, but they seem to creep up to each other and eventually meet. Till this day I have been unable to figure the problem out. I made 4 sets of tyres and all of them had the same problem!

None the less your tractors look  spectacular!! Nicely done!

Regards

Dolf

xihunter

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks again!

I did have the "creep" issue on the treads.  I know that it deals with the each half of the wheel moving just a tad during sawing or not getting the cut perfectly spaced each time which results in the "creep" over the circumference of the wheel.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us