You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
Can someone show/instruct me on how to line up wooden pegs with their holes for giving strength to laminating two (2) 1" x 6" boards. I want to glue these edge to edge and have wooden pegs I have cut from some dowels to give the joint some additional strength.

Thanks much, Don 
Rod T

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Don

You need some Dowel Marking Centre Points.
Effectively you drill the holes in the first piece of timber, insert these pins into those holes and then line up the second piece of timber where you want it to join. Press this second piece of timber onto the pins and you have little indentations there to show you where to drill the matching holes. 

Here is a picture of a kit that is available. There seems to be a few sizes available. 
If you google this brand you will find their website with various kits available etc.

haron_dowel_centre_points-700x525.png 
Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
There are many ways of aligning edge glued boards. If I were doing this with dowels and a hand held drill I would use a dowelling jig. It's very important that you drill the holes be straight and for most of us that requires a jig, Search on Amazon for a bunch of different ones in all price ranges. On the heap end there is Harbor Freight.

I also recommend you watch some YouTube videos on how to do it before you spend money. Search for 'edge gluing boards'. With modern glues you really don't need the dowels.
Dowelling Jig Harvor Freight.jpg

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Rod T and BadBob for the recommendations. Even with a drill press I would need a jig, I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler. Also, thanks for the advise on gluing, I had a tiny voice that wasn't sure of glue holding things together for a great length of time.

I am wanting to scroll a portrait and needed to laminate two boards for the project.

Thanks again, Don
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
If you glue joint is done properly the wood will fail before the glue.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #6 
I have the jig that BadBob posted a picture of and it works really, really well.  Would highly recommend it.  Is a bit on the expensive side from a jig standpoint, but it is solid and really does a great job.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us