You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #1 
First off let me wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Since I have not been making any toy's for a bit I decided to crank my lathe up and do some Pen's and such for Christmas.

first up is some Compound cut and as yet unfinished Snow People. These where the very first compound cut's I have ever tried. I think they came out pretty well.
IMG_0600.JPG 
Next up is some turned pens, Letter opener, and Magnifying Lens both Acrylic and wood. The Copper Acrylic is pretty much my fav at this point. The photos do not do them justice...
Blue-white mag glass.jpg 
bullet pen set.jpg  Copper Pen 2.jpg  2mm pencil.jpg Pen-pencil.jpg   

And another couple of scroll saw projects. A bird rocker and as yet unfinished Duck
Bird Rocker.jpg 
Mr Duck.jpg 

These are all fun to make and the adults I give them too really like them. Sometimes I get as big a smile from the adults as I do the kids LOL

Reply with quote  #2 
All so very nice Ed, nice clean cuts looking great and the pens look as though you've got the barrels the right length as the refill tip looks good( I've messed that up before).
Rod T

Reply with quote  #3 
Great work Ed.
I like those little snowmen. 
I haven't tried compound cutting as yet. Something I want to try one day on my new scrollsaw. 

Cheers
Rod T

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
Bucko,
Thanks for looking. Yea been there done that on the tips before. usually always correctable if I pay attention.
The long wood pen and pencil was a first for me. They are modified slim line series. You just turn the nib instead of the pen barrel to move the pen out. Lot of fun to make.

Rod T,

I actually had stayed away from compound cuts until I made these. There was an issue of scroll saw magazine that had a article on making them along with the plans. I decide it was time to flex my saw a bit and see what this compound cut stuff was all about LOL. I also started on some chess pieces as well. I might throw those up in another link just for fun. Have not finished all the pieces yet though...

Reply with quote  #5 
great Job, compound cutting is so much fun, I like your clocks a lot too, and the pens,   I have started chess and  it takes a long long time to make all the pieces is a spare time project
robin
ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
Nice bunch of work here.  Looks great. 
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #7 
Some beautiful cuts and turning like it. [thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Very nice work Ed.

When I first saw the snow people I thought you were making a chess set.

Pinterest
Google+
Bloger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #9 
Badbob,
That's actually next on my list... I cut a king, and a Knight already, just playing around.

I mad a jig to assist the cuts, I think it makes a great difference at least for me

Reply with quote  #10 
Beautiful work, especially like the two clocks.
I've only tried compound cutting once and and let's just say it didn't go well. I'll give it another go at it after the holidays. What kind of wood & blade did you use for the snowmen? They look real smooth.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for commenting toynut,

I stayed away from compound cutting for the longest time because I could not exactly wrap my head around it.

I have cut some stuff that expanded my scroll saw experience and decided after seeing the article in scroll saw magazine with the snow men I decided I had to try it.

I used poplar and a #5 flying Dutchmen blade. I just cut it really slow on the first one and these are un-sanded.

After the first one the rest turned out really easy.  I would suggest you try these as there is nothing intricate in the cutting.

I made a jig that helps a lot so you might want to look at that as well.
Check out "Steve Good's " Blog. Also look for him on Youtube and he has a couple of video's on Compound cutting, and he has a video or 2 on the jig. He has one video on the jig he made and another one that was sent to him to preview. I think I actually like his better...
Anyway if you have questions ask away folks here are almost always willing to assist where we can.

Reply with quote  #12 
Ed,

I would like to know the type of scrollsaw you have. My Harbor Frieght saw has been outgrown. I will be purchasing a new one after the holidays, just want a good one.

Thanks much and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Don (Wooddawg)
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #13 
Don .... Just for your info, I have two scroll saws, a Proxxon and an Excalibur .... both beautiful machines. I generally have have set set up as a teaching machine for the stray learner!!!! Tony
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks Tony,

I will need to research the Proxy, never heard of it. I would love to have an Excaliber, but my wife would have kittens. She has agreed on a saw in the price range of the Delta 40-695. Having done so much research I hope this is the best route.

Don (Wooddawg)
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #15 
Don,
Not sure if you have access to Dewalt Scroll saws. but that is another option as well maybe I have the Dewalt 788. I moved up to it from a sears Craftsman. Amazon has then for $489. I actually purchased mine new from the Dewalt outlet store on line cheaper and no shipping cost...

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us