You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I want to build a train that has magnets for connectors. I seen a few photos but I don't have a set of plans or a source for the magnets.

Specifically I'm looking for 1/2" round magnets with a center hole. 3/4" magnets are available but i can't find any 1/2" magnets with the center hole.

Any one know of a source.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Bob

This site in Australia has tons of magnets. Looks like they will ship worldwide.

https://magnet.com.au/neodymium-ring-12-5mm-x-6mm-x-3mm.html

Cheers
Rod T

Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
I've used thes on as a train connection system, bit of a snap though at connection time. Later in day I can add a picture of these installed http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=60007&cat=1,42363,42348
Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
The individua; train car to the right has the magnet while the individual train car to the left doesn't. magnetrain_opt.jpg 
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
This is almost exactly the design I planed to use for the first attempt. I made these years ago using screw eyes and cup hooks for the connectors. Magnets will work better and be safer.

Trains-00004004-1987-searsksx.jpg 
Eventually want to make trains that will run on a wooden track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
The individua; train car to the right has the magnet while the individual train car to the left doesn't. magnetrain_opt.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm planning to use ceramic magnets because the are inexpensive and they are not as powerful as the neodymium/reare earth magnets which can snap together hard enough to pinch a blood blister.

I found these 1/2 inch magnets with a center hole at cherrytreetoys.com.

Ceramic Magnet.jpg 

I thought I needed the hole for attaching the magnet but I've read that they can be glued on. I don't know how well that would work especially if its on end grain. So I'm considering using a steel fasterner and glue. 

Something like this should work.

Nickle Plated Roundhead Nail.jpg 

If I add a little epoxy and add a properly oriented magnet and nail to the other side it might work really well. I think the smooth round head will let the train turn easy. 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
There is a good discussion on making toy trains with the type of magnetic connector I was considering here.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Bucko

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the link Bob, your train project with the rails sounds like a darn interesting project.
Shady

Reply with quote  #9 
Ilike the idea of using magnetic couplings for your train set. I might look into the possibility of using the on some truck and trailer models I am thinking about. It should certainly be an improvement on the old hook and eye.
How will we allow the unit to go round corners or ride over bumps though? There will need to be some movement in the coupling, surely that will rule out gluing them in place. Maybe if the magnet was loosely secured (in a recess even) and the keeper free to rotate on a screw ( or vice-a-versa of course)
Mmmmm   Still some work to do on this isea I think - I'll be interested to see what you come up with

Shady
Camnight

Reply with quote  #10 
I like the idea of magnets to, i will have to think about that one.

George
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Shady, If you look at the article photos on this page I think you will see that going around corners is not going to be a problem.

I don't really have a plan yet. This is just in the exploration stage. I thought I would build one of the pull trains because they are simple to make and a pull train would be a good test of how good the magnets worked.

A trailer might work fine as long as you don't have much of a load on it. I can think of a few ways to do it that might be better for a trailer. It would be worth experimenting with.

The cost is not bad. From Cherry Tree Toys 50 nails and couplers costs me $0.36 each including shipping.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Shady

Reply with quote  #12 
Hey Bad Bob
How are you getting on with the magnetic couplings?
I saw your idea about the nails to assist with turning after i had posted - does it work ?
would love an update it might save me some time if I ever get round to trying it for myself
Cheers
Shady
BadBob

Reply with quote  #13 
I haven't ordered the nails and magnets yet. I'm sure they will work fine as well as being applicable for use with other toys. I'm planning too get some and experiment with wheels. I can't imagine that wood wheels would follow the track as good as the plastic wheels.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #14 
Good idea on the magnets there are hundred on ebay. Love the train.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrare+eath+magnets.TRS0&_nkw=rare+eath+magnets&_sacat=0

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
BadBob

Reply with quote  #15 
I've been playing around with Neodymium magnets for awhile. I think they are to strong for small children. I have a photo of one holding up an 18lb dumbbell. It's inch long magnet from a hard drive. Even the little ones can pinch a blood blister on you.

For the trains you want the ceramic magnets with the center hole from cherry tree. That's the only place I've found them so far.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us