You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Indy82

Reply with quote  #1 
I was wondering if anyone also turns pens or small turnings using one of these lathes
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
Yes,

They work very well for this, as well as other uses like small lidded boxes, bowls etc.

Check out my post earlier to see examples I just turned on my small Delta lathe.

Mine is a Delta mini lathe 46-460....

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks. I actually saw your post after I posted the question. You do some amazing work. I am a long time lurker here reading and viewing everyone's work.

Thanks again for the response. Have a great Christmas
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks,

You have a wonderful Christmas as well. If you are looking for a Lathe and have any questions I would be happy to answer what i can. ( not an expert by any means LOL ) But I do enjoy my lathe. The Delta is the second Lathe I have owned, This one fit the size and cost range I was willing to spend at time..

Reply with quote  #5 
I have just started looking and I am researching the Penn Industries Midi lathe kit.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #6 
Yea that was one I was gonna point out.

The bigger thing here is if all your gonna do is Pens the mini's work well.
I would look for one that is rated good, has variable speed (a must in my mind), a good solid motor that wont bog down, a #2mt (more common )

Then a good Pen mandrel, and a good set of carbide cutters (easywood brand or one of the other nice kits out there)

a good set of brad point bits, ( there is a common set for Pens). Also for every different pen kit you buy you will have to buy bushings to match that pen kit. The good thing is you only need to have one set (usually) per class of pens/pencils

a Pen press is nice but not necessary. I currently use my lathe as a press, (I have 2 inserts for the head and tail stock) and it works great. Of course you can use a bench vice (which i did at first)
blank trimmer set (in my opinion) is a must. They have a kit of the most common sizes.
All in all initial out lay can get a little pricey but like other hobbies usually once you get the ground work pieces in place you don't usually need to buy more unless it's upgrades.

Also you might want to explore if you are going to turn other things like lidded boxes, vases and bowls, at that point you will most likely want a midi which lends itself to more versatility...
There are a few other things that make life easier as well.

Anyway sorry for the long post...

Reply with quote  #7 
A lathe can turn into a Vortex of a hobby, like turners say" the lathe should be given to you as the accessories are where the money comes into the picture ". A mini Lathe can become a valuable tool with the toymaking interest, you can find a topic here on the forum where I'm " working on the Chuckles plan" which has some pictures which may be of your interest.

Indy82

Reply with quote  #8 
Bucko. After reading your post I would almost guess that you were in the Louisville Woodcraft store about 15 years ago. I was in b their one evening looking at the project books and another gentlemen stopped and we started talking about how many different disciplines that you would like to try in woodworking. If it wasn't for a budget and lack of space. . . . . .

I always remember no hobby is free
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #9 
It maybe true that no hobby is free, but some hobbies are a lot more expensive LOL

Wood turning I think falls in that catagory (expensive) for sure [comp]

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us