You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
View Cart Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Sign Up with and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans

All Major Credit Cards 

Paypal Account

For Credit Card Orders Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello ; Im looking at building the " Antique 1890 Rocking Horse " For my Grand Son. 
     The question I have is on the sizes of some of the wood,  What  did  y'all use. As far as the type of wood you used ie  item #8 calls for 3/4 x 13 -1/2 x 31-1/8 and item # 9 calls for 1-1/2 x 12-1/2 x 23-1/2 .
     I have never built  a item of this size before, and with it a toy the children will be playing on. I want it safe ...So I guess what I'm asking  is on the 3/4 x 13-1/2 width did y'all edge glue 2 pieces of wood to get the 13 -1/2 " width ???
     And the same on the 1-1/2 x 12-1/2  width ????....
     I thought of using plywood , but then the edge of it is exposed , an it seems like that would be like splinter city for the lil' guy ... 
Thanks ...
john lewman

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi jimmyp,

You ask important questions about the antique 1890 Rocking Horse. For the first question, The 3/4" x 13 -1/2" x 31-1/8" parts are sawn from 3/4" x 2' x 4' premium baltic plywood project panels found at Home Depot and Lowes. This product does not splinter and has a solid hardwood core. The surfaces and edges are beautiful when finished. We have made many toys from the project panels. Edges should be rounded a little with fine sandpaper like with any wood project.

For question 2, we laminated two pieces of the 3/4" plywood mentioned above to obtain the 1-1/2" thickness.

You can also edge-glue standard lumber to obtain the widths you need. Many of our toys are made with common framing lumber which is also very attractive when finished properly.
When the panels or lumber are glued and clamped the joints can be stronger than the wood itself. We have one horse of this type that is over 45 years old and has been loved by two generations. The joints are all simple glue joints with some wood dowel reinforcements like where the legs meet the base.

We would love to see step-by-step photos of your project posted on the forum.

Happy Toymaking! 

Reply with quote  #3 
John's recommendations are spot on. If those plywood's are not available and others are substituted you will have to take an extra step in sealing the plywood edges with either a mixture of water and glue or products like Gesso, wood filler to fill the voids and then smooth the edges.
Not a problem if the project will be painted.
The plans do have helpful hints on which woods to use, for example on page 44, pattern page #1 for item 8 mentions 3/4" plywood, MDF or glued up 3/4 lumber.
And page 47, pattern page #4 mentions suggestions for item 9.
Gluing up lumber for Qty 2 #9's could be less expensive than using sheet goods, but does present another problem potential.
The boards you use must be flat, any cupping, crowning or warping will cause you a nightmare.
If you have a board thickness planner/jointer, this issue would not be a problem.
I would also be very interested in seeing photos of your progress as I think would the Forum members.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank You Both , John Lewman , an  Udie for the assistance on this , an explaining it very clearly ...I had my Son send me the ' WHOLE PATTERN PLAN ' After reading your replys .   This is a Great Looking Riding Horse ,  Im hoping to start on this project next month.
Will try to take some pics.                                                                                                                                  And and,
Thank You Both Again, JimmyP.

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Jimmy
     I also use Baltic Birch plywood and it works well for me to. I always thought it had no voids but they are very small and can be filled in with wood putty, sanded and finished. I also glue several layers together to achieve my thickness. If you look in the photo section page 2 I have pictures of my first motorcycle made from Baltic Birch plywood before and after painting.

Reply with quote  #6 
I just completed the 1790 rocking horse.  Turned out OK HOWEVER cutting and laminating two 3/4 pieces for all the parts created a lot of waste wood (pine)but if I were to make another I would probably do the same.  The waste will be used to make toys.  The cost for the wood was just under $100.  It was worth the expense and time as I am pleased with the outcome.

Reply with quote  #7 
Glad to hear you took on this project and finished it.
Here is link for those who are not familiar with the plan set ... 1790 Rocking Horse.
From your post you mentioned using pine. I'm am curious if you purchased #1 grade or clear pine. Each one of those board types drives up the price of raw materials.
I would and I am sure our members and guests would love to see photos of your finished project.
How about taking a couple of photos and posting them in the "Toymakers Photos and Success Stories" section of the Forum.

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us