You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
You can order sample cans of paint from Behr at their web site and have it shipped to you local Home Depot.  I just did this as a test.

I've been experimenting with their Oops paint and have been quite pleased with the results. I just brushed on some pale blue (baby blue) over red automotive primer on MDF and it covered it right up.

I've been experimenting with spraying it. It works but you have to thin it a lot and if you get it to thin there are bonding issues because the paint molecules are to far apart to hook up correctly.

This car is sprayed Behr paint.

20161126-084628 - Wood - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - Deuce Coupe - MDF - Air Brushed Pink Acrylic.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

kaj249

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey bob. I'm interested in trying this method of paint. I am not liking the acrylic finish. How much do you thin it and what size tip do you use? Psi?
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
I use Badger air brushes mostly with a heavy tip except for the Badger Anthem 155.

Quote from badger: "The two angle needle tip precisely mates with the Anthem's cone shaped nozzle enabling a single needle/nozzle configuration to spray virtually any desired material, thus eliminating the need for fine, medium, or large needle/nozzle variations."

I've used Chinese air brushes  with the largest tip I could get. .5 mm. It was difficult but doable.

I've tried all sorts of crazy thinners. They all have one thing in common with the exception of distilled water. You can't keep the left over paint. Only distilled water will let you do this. Don't use tap water. You don't know how the paint is going to react to the chemicals in the water. 

I don't thin at all now. With the Badger Anthem  155 and 40 to 50 psi I can spray Behr house paint right out of the can with a little Foltrol mixed in it. Don't thin at all if you can spray the paint without thinning. If you need to thin you going to have to experiment to figure out how much is enough. If you have a fine tip .2 mm or even .5 mm no amount of thinning is going to give you a satisfactory result. The pigments in house paints are quite large and will clog. These paints are not designed to be thinned. 

The finish you get is highly dependent on the paint you are using. Behr and other companies have many flavors you need to try them and see what works best for you. I like the exterior paint/primer in a satin or semigloss ( I for get what they call it). I don't like the flat interior paints. because I always feel like I need to clear coat them and in my experience they don't cover as well. Still there are places where I would use the flat paints. Military models for example. 

Always strain the paint before spraying. Acrylics are hard enough to spray without trying to blow half dried chunks of paint through your airbrush.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

kaj249

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you. Will try it. I have an iwata neo with a .5 needle and it's ok for a newbie but it seems the more I work with it the more I don't care for it. Looking at badgers but didn't know which one to try. That helps narrow it down lol.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Buy the Badger Anthem 155.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

kaj249

Reply with quote  #6 
Bought a badger anthem 155 this weekend. Gonna try it out this coming weekend with some behr paint and see how that goes. Thanks for the advise.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj249
Bought a badger anthem 155 this weekend. Gonna try it out this coming weekend with some behr paint and see how that goes. Thanks for the advise.

Add a little Floetrol to the paint. It makes it dry a little slower and reduces tip dry and clogging and helps the paint to flow smoother. About $6 at Home Depot.

Start spraying at about forty psi and adjust up or down as required.

Strain the paint I can't over stress this. I use a Harbor Freight Pack of 100 60 to 70 Mesh Paint Strainers Item 91376 $4.99 for a 100.

Paint Strainer.jpg

I use Plastic Eye Dropper Set Transfer Pipettes to pick up the paint and squeeze it through the screen it the air brush bottle. This is the least messy method I have found so far.

Safe-font-b-Plastic-b-font-font-b-Eye-b-font-font-b-Dropper-b-font.jpg 

I buy these on eBay fro the cheapest source I can find. I think I bought a thousand last time. 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

kaj249

Reply with quote  #8 
Nice. Harbor freight is 2 miles from my door. Will search eBay for the droppers as well today.

Do you mix the flotrol in the can or the bottle? And how much? Or is it just a couple drops to flow good?
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Do you mix the flotrol in the can or the bottle? And how much? Or is it just a couple drops to flow good?

I didn't measure the Floetrol I just poured a little in. Maybe two tablespoons to the twelve oz can of paint. It's designed for mixing into large amounts of paint. You could probably figure it out exactly but it seemed to me that close was good enough.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

kaj249

Reply with quote  #10 
Do you clean the airbrush with the cleaner or paint thinner
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Do you clean the airbrush with the cleaner or paint thinner

I use window cleaner (Windex) and water to clean up after spraying acrylic house paint or craft paint. I rinse as much as I can with water and a hose and use window cleaner for the stubborn stuff. You can use ammonia for if you are having some trouble getting some off but I have never had to. Rinse everything with clean water. 

I pull the needle and wipe it clean. When I'm sure the airbrush has all the paint of of it. I dip the needle in some needle lube. Badger Regdab I think it's called.  It helps keep paint from sticking to it.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us