You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone

Just a little experiment on different methods of applying a pattern to the wood. 

I started out with 3 identical patterns printed on White Paper label on a laser printer. 

IMG_1563.JPG 

Then applied them to the piece of 3/4" Thick Poplar.
In this next photo, the top one has Blue Painters Tape, then the Label, then Clear packing Tape over top.
Middle one has Clear Packing Tape and then the Label over top.
Bottom one is just the Label on it's own.

IMG_1564.JPG 
Drilled the Axle holes and internal cut holes.

IMG_1565.JPG 

I then cut out the windows first. 

The first photo below is the Label only one. You can see a burnt area in the rear tight radius of the cut. 

IMG_1566.JPG 
This next photo is the packing tape and then label over top version. 
Again there is a slight burn mark in the back of the window. Less than the above label only version above though. 

IMG_1567.JPG 

This third photo is the Blue Tape, Label and Packing tape version. 
There is no burn mark at all in the rear of the window on this one, so the extra lubrication from the 3 layers of tape seem to be minimising this burn.

IMG_1568.JPG 
This next photo shows the rear of the cars, with burn marks only on the far right one, which was the label only version.

IMG_1569.JPG 
Removing the labels.

The Blue tape version and the Packing tape version both peeled off very easily. 
The label only version predictably ripped and was hard to take off without leaving a residue behind. I started my toy making attaching labels this way and would wipe a bit of turps over the label, let it sit for a minute or 2 and then the labels would peel off easily. The Turps would soak through the paper of the label and dissolve the adhesive. Still had to clean the residue off with another wipe of turps and then let dry and sand etc. 

IMG_1570.JPG 
I chose a piece of Poplar as it is quite feathery with the fibres almost always pulling off with whatever adhesive method is used, so these next photos show the effects each of these had. 
A little bit with the blue tape, a little bit more with the packing tape and a bit hard to tell with the label only version as it ripped etc. 

IMG_1571.JPG  IMG_1573.JPG  IMG_1574.JPG   
And here are the finished cars. 
Apart from the burn marks, the cut surfaces were all much the same. 

IMG_1576.JPG  IMG_1577.JPG 

Hope this proves useful to someone out there. 
It was a good experiment to do.

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
Great post.

I was sceptical of this for a long time. I knew the blue painters tape made it easier to to get the labels off but how could tape lubricate? Then I ran across a similar test in one of Patrick Spielman's books. He said that there is silicon on the tape that keeps the tape from sticking to itself in the roll. So every time the blade passes through the tape it gets a little silicon on it. He did his test with cherry which is very pron to burning.

I have to mention that your scroll saw cutting skills are amazing.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
What a great post and tutorial. Your tips are always helpful and your photos are the frosting on the cake.
Greg

Reply with quote  #4 
there is a blue painters tape that is sticky both  sides I found it in a benjamin moore paint shop
It is thinner than the carpet tape its easier to tear when putting on the wood its called "Drop Cloth Tape" 
I have used it a few times and I like it 
I don't know it the big box stores carry it or not.

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #5 
Of late I have been using a "Stick and release scroll saw tape"
I used it for my scroll saw rockers and really like the way it held the pattern with out it coming loose.
It is a little pricey right now but I think it will eventually come down as all things usually do.

You can find it on Amazon as well as a couple of the hobby sites that cater to us scrollers.

Reply with quote  #6 
Interesting I use re-positional spray glue on back of pattern and then sellotape over the top of pattern works a treat.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks everyone.

I like the sound of Greg's double sided blue painters tape. I am going to have a look for that. 
Might be able to just print the plans on plain paper rather than label stock, which could be cheaper.

Will also have a look for Ed's Stick & release scroll saw tape. 

If I can find these I might do another experiment with the same timber and plans using these 2 and Roly's spray glue method as well. 

Cheers
Rod T

Bucko

Reply with quote  #8 
Rod this is a great post you've done - Thanks for putting it on the forum.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
I'm pretty sure Shurtape DF191 is what you are talking about.

I haven't been able find anyone in the US that has it in stock. Amazon has had it because there are reviews.

I also found forum postings where people were asking where they could buy it.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #10 
Looks like the cost of the double sided tape and the Stick and Release Scroll saw tape is going to be more expensive than the 3 methods that I experimented with. 
So I won't be trying these at this point.

I have a few other ideas for experiments, so will post these as I get around to them. 

Cheers
Rod T

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us