You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dustyoldman

Reply with quote  #1 
All

Last fall, I attempted to build my Grand Daughter a train, using the Happy-Go-Lucky plan set as a basis to work from. I modified some of the cars, both in size and shape - intent on creating enough shapes/styles to form two complete units - one with a "steam" locomotive, and a "diesel"....

Ah the best laid plans of grandfathers with more ideas than time. I got 4 cars done, and a couple more started - and then it was 5 days to Christmas, and I still needed to paint them. Sadly - I never made it. So now it's a birthday present....

The issue I am having is paint coverage. I bought several cans of Rustoleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover (1/2 pts). I can not get this paint to cover with out streaking - it looks awful. It was so bad, I sanded the cars down and am now in my second try at it - and they don't look any better than the first time.

The streaking I am encountering is in some ways like that witch occurs when stain is used on pine (with the hard and soft grain it has) - I get light areas of paint, and darker ones.

The primer went on like a dream - light gray in color, dry's fast.  The colors - Colonial Red, Dark Blue, Yellow, and Black all go on poorly. Of all, the Black covers the best, but only because of the small areas I am using it on so far - I can dab it on real heavy.

0109172139z.jpg 

0109172137az.jpg 
Club car in primer 0109172137z.jpg

Box car with primer

0109172136z.jpg 
Diesel locomotive - [frown] [frown] 0109172137bz.jpg

Caboose - notice the variation in coverage. More [frown] [frown] [frown] [frown]

0109172138az.jpg 

The yellow peg has had 2 coats and you can still see "thru" the paint in to the grain of the wood. This was to be a head light for the locomotive. The black peg is one of many axle pegs. The wheels also cover fairly well when I apply the paint heavy.

I have emailed Rustoleum product support - but not heard back from them at this time.

Extremely frustrated. Have painted kids toys in the past with other brands of paint (latex), and with oil base paints (ie Rustoleum), and never had issues like this.

DOM

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
I've not used this paint before. However, have had other paints do this. Orange acrylics I recently purchased did this. Orange or yellow would not surprise me but black. I generally get one coat coverage from black acrylic.

When this happens the only thing I know to do is apply multiple coats until it smooths out.

One suggestion, be sure you are using the proper brush for the paint. The bristle material can make a big difference.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

toynut

Reply with quote  #3 
Oddly enough, I often thin paint to the point of it being stain and use it as such. I'll coat the project, letting it dry thoroughly between coats until it has the look I'm going for. For instance, I might like an animal's spots to have darker spots within the spot. To get a solid color, try applying a couple coats of shellac, instead of primer, let it dry and sand smooth. Apply an under coat of white, gray or yellow, let dry, then apply color. It will most likely take several coats to get the depth of color you want but it should be even. Do some good old fashioned experimenting on some scrap wood and if the stuff still doesn't work, use another paint. The thing to remember is not to be in a hurry, take your time and see what the paint you are using will or will not do. Going through the paint, dry and sand cycles, my paint jobs, on average, take two or three weeks.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
+1 on toynuts comments.

I have seen same paint from the same company different color. I have some pink paint that that will give you one coat coverage on pine while the same paint in orange looks must have taken 8 to 10 coats and I was happy get it smooth.

You have to try them and see. It's much better to use the scrap you had left to do a test that to try it on your work piece. So says the guy who made this error more than once.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #5 
I've had similar experiences with latex and acrylic craft paint.  Definitely the same issues with yellows and reds.  I recently bough a Graco latex sprayer for a furniture project and the results were fantastic. Wonder if spraying the reds and yellows would work better?  @BadBob, you use an airbrush to spray latex paints, right?
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonshanks
@BadBob, you use an airbrush to spray latex paints, right?

I am experimenting with spraying acrylics with an airbrush. I also brush paint. I pretty much have to paint outdoors if I spray. You mus thin the latex/acrylic to spray it this causes all sorts of issues. Coverage is much smoother but paint that covers badly with a brush doesn't get better when I spray it.

One surprising thing to me was that the paint drys faster when you thin it. This aggravates a condition called tip dry that clogs the tip of the air brush. 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #7 
One thing you might look at for the trains is to use a sanding sealer first. A couple of coats with a lite sand between (600-800 grit) then try it.

Also I have used this product below on woods that can give uneven finishes. I'm thinking since the paint is so thin it is sorta acting like a stain and maybe this "MINWAX" might help and you might even be able to spray it with an air brush.....
Just thinking out loud here so please don't shoot me [idea]
IMG_1065.JPG 

Reply with quote  #8 
It would be great to find a way to spray the finishes without the inconsistency that you often get from the rattle can.  The Graco sprayer that I bought is great for furniture but would be overkill for toys.  Too bad they don't have a model that is 1/2 the size.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonshanks
It would be great to find a way to spray the finishes without the inconsistency that you often get from the rattle can.  The Graco sprayer that I bought is great for furniture but would be overkill for toys.  Too bad they don't have a model that is 1/2 the size.

I had the same thought.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

TheWoodsmiths

Reply with quote  #10 
I have had so much trouble brushing paint that I now use spray cans almost exclusively. The coverage is even and will not run if you do not apply too heavy a coat. Several light coats work best.

Also, have you really stirred the paint from the can bottom? I would expect 1/2 pints to be a slow seller and the chances of the paint tint being solid in the bottom of the can to be possible.

Hope you get it figured out soon.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us