You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
John posted this photo of the new $4 hot rod. Anyone have ideas about painting the whitewalls and making them look neat.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 2965938.jpg, Views: 113, Size: 308.40 KB 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Peter B

Reply with quote  #2 
Mr wwalker47 did these on the winnebago which is the closest i have seen

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 2498033.jpg, Views: 97, Size: 43.10 KB 

Rod T

Reply with quote  #3 
Yeh, I have been wondering about this also.

I am thinking mounting in a drill press (Lowest Speed) and then holding the paintbrush on the wheel as it spins. Just enough to get a nice sharp line on the edge and then paint the rest by hand.

Will experiment on the weekend. Probably splatter paint all over the place, but will give it a go.

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T
Yeh, I have been wondering about this also.

I am thinking mounting in a drill press (Lowest Speed) and then holding the paintbrush on the wheel as it spins. Just enough to get a nice sharp line on the edge and then paint the rest by hand.

Will experiment on the weekend. Probably splatter paint all over the place, but will give it a go.

Cheers
Rod T

I had the same thought, 

Probably should paint the wheel white and then add the black.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
I finally got around to trying this with a wheel mounted on a drill. I can't do it! After messing up a few wheels I gave up. The white acrylic dries to fast. I could not get enough paint on my brush to go around a wheel 1/2 inch was about the max. Because it dries fast you have to rush which makes the process much more prone to error.

I think a slower drying paint with more/better pigment than the craft acrylic I was using. Perhaps an oil based enamel.

I you have one of those vinyl decal cutting machines you could make a mask and spray it.

If you have a laser cutting machine you might be able to cut a mask from painters tape.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #6 
I am experimenting with vacuum forming thin white styrene for this - it would have the added advantage of having some thickness (.5mm) that may add to the effect.

May then graduate to silver hubcaps it its successful ....!!

T
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
Someone on LunberJocks told me that he used to paint whitewalls using a pin stripping brush and slow drying paint. The wheels were mounted on a drill that turned them slowly as the paint was applied.

I looked into pin stripping just a little. It looks way out of my league. Not that I could not learn to do it but it would take me a long time and some money to do it. I love to watch these guys work.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Bucko

Reply with quote  #8 
Along the same application as the spinning whitewall , we still have a local pottery producer and they use a hand brush with a slowly spinning carasel to apply the gold or colored trim on plate/ cup rims. I'm quite sure there are hundreds of hours of doing this just to get the flow of the application process.
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #9 
I've tried spraying the wheels white first and then applying the black afterwards, but all of the taping required to achieve a good result is very time consuming.  So far, the best result that I've had is to paint them by hand with acrylic craft paint and then spray clear. 20140608_173959.jpg  20140608_174023.jpg
Bucko

Reply with quote  #10 
Nice looking car, I'm waiting for a gangster to step out of the car.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Nice color scheme.

Yes that is the look I'm going for. I had not even thought of using black.

Many years ago I was  professional auto painter and I already knew I could not do a good enough job (to suit me) of masking the wheel with tape.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks @Bucko and @BadBob!  I've struggled with getting decent finishes on the toys after making them.  Spray paint gives mixed results.  So far, using the acrylic craft paint and then spraying with some type of clear (flat, satin, gloss) has given me the best result.  

For this one, I used basic black acrylic craft paint and then sprayed a flat clear top coat.  This approach takes a long time though...multiple coats of the acrylic and clear.  No way it would be profitable if I ever tried to sell them.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonshanks
This approach takes a long time though...multiple coats of the acrylic and clear.  No way it would be profitable if I ever tried to sell them.

That is pretty much the same conclusion I'm coming to with finishing. I can get a nice finish with paint but its a lot of work and expense.

You sand until you get what looks and feels like the perfect surface. Spray the first coat and now the surface feels like sandpaper and you can see places where perfectly smoother aren't.

Sand it again. Now it's smooth to the touch and the spots you didn't get perfect really stand out. Inside corners are particularly difficult for me.

Spray again. It looks better but still needs some work. You sand again.

This continues until you get the coverage and smoothness you want and you have a toy you can sell for a few dollars that took three hours labor to finish.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

vj

Reply with quote  #14 
I have not been making toy cars long, but I too wanted to make white walls.  The way I do it is to find a proper size fender washer.  I make sure that the center hole is just a bit smaller than 1/4" (the size of my axles) and then drill them out to 1/4" inch.  I have a block of wood with  9/32" holes drilled.  I first prime  the entire wheel, then spray paint the face white.  Then I put the fender washer on the wheel, put an axle through it and onto the wood block.  The axle centers the washer (the wheels also have a quarter inch hole).  Then the wheel and fender washer are spray painted black.  I think it works pretty good.
vj

Reply with quote  #15 
I forgot to add that if you paint the nub of the axle peg a different color, it functions as a hub cap.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us