You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I've seen people use bamboo skewers to pin axle pins.

If you do this do you think it is really necessary?

If yes why?

What experience do you have with it?

Is it just a belt and suspenders kind of thing?

I've twisted them off but I never got one out. However my grandson/quality assurance inspector some how manage to get one out. I can only assume that I didn't get enough glue on them. I normally use way to much glue. I glued it back and it's never come out again.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Bob

I use the skewers on axle pegs all the time. Are they really necessary to hold them in? probably not. 

When I glue the axle in place I use an old credit card with a slot cut in it as a spacer between the wheel and the body of the car. As soon as I do this, I flip the car over, drill a hole in the base, through the axle and glue a skewer in. I can then remove the credit card spacer and move onto the next wheel straight away. I can glue 4 wheels on within minutes and not worry about them accidently jamming tight against the body of the car. 
Hope that makes sense. 

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Makes a lot of sense to me. I use nylon washers behind my wheels so they don't touch the body.

Sometimes I get axle pegs that don't fit as snug as they should and don't want to stay in place. This is especially true when the hole goes all the way through. When the axle peg gets inserted on the other side it forces the first one out. I have had to squeeze them with a clamp. Pegging the axles would work great for this. I have some nice flush cutting saws so I'm going to give this a try.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #4 
I was getting the same problem with axle pegs sometimes not fitting snug.
Still get that problem as I can sometimes push them in by hand and sometimes have to tap them in with a hammer.
But putting the skewer pin in straight away eliminates any moving around on loose ones while waiting for the glue to dry.

Cheers
Rod T

Stevenm01

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi All,
 I like to use 1/8" dowel for pinning/pegging parts that I think may slip off or be worked off.  You can get a lotta pegs out of a 3' dowel for about 90 cents.  (Skewers are metric and give me splinters!)  With a 1/8 drill bit you may not even need to glue the 'nail'.  Hope that helps.
   Steve

Reply with quote  #6 
That's an expensive dowel. They are 30 cents here. Which surprised me. I get bamboo for about 1 cent each in a bag. Never got a splinter.

1/8 inch I'm thinking would be to big for some of the things I would pin. Tooth picks might work.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us