You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Borg

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, i bought a couple of plans last year and as quite often happens life gets in the way so they got filed and forgotten about, i can now get back to it and make a start.
Usually i do lathe work so i make whatever is in my head by eye, working to plan is new to me so please forgive what will seem to everyone here a very, very basic question but i have to check.
In the part index it says 1- 1/4" X 5-1/2 X 9-5/16 make 2
Does this mean i need two pieces of wood ¼" thick, 5½" wide and 9+5/16 long? or can i just get any size ¼" sheet and glue the template on, basically do i really have to worry about the 5-1/2 X 9-5/16 part of it?
Stopped in my tracks on stage 1, yeah i know..this is going to take quite some time [smile]

Peter B

Reply with quote  #2 
Borg welcome back
My approach is in your own question "can i just get any size ¼" sheet and glue the template on, basically do i really have to worry about the 5-1/2 X 9-5/16 part of it?"
Not sure on other members approach
Rod T

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, 2 pieces with 1/4 inch thick stock. The other 2 measurements will be the minimum size board to cut out that piece. You can stick the plans on larger boards, gang them up together to get the most economical cuts out. I tend to stick the small pieces all on 1 board, so I have something to hang onto while cutting. With Straight rectagular pieces I use those other 2 measurements and cut the pieces out on my tablesaw without sticking the plans on.

Hope all that makes sense.

Make sure you post some pics of what you are making, we all enjoy seeing toys in the making

Cheers
Rod T
Peter B

Reply with quote  #4 
If you have any photos of your lathe work I am sure we would love to see as well
Borg

Reply with quote  #5 
Many thanks, so the 5-1/2 X 9-5/16 measurement is the smallest piece i can get away with, ok i can see how it would be handy to know that as my struggle would be to get wood the correct thickness, i dont have a thicknesser and im useless with a plane so i would need to mill it myself, my bandsaw is small so the smaller i have to rip the better.
My lathe work is just file handles, bowls, mushrooms etc, just a hobby really, i just jump between that and bandsaw stuff.
I am blown away by the quality of craftmanship on this site so would be embarrassed to post pictures lol but i will gather up some things and grab one later.
Toys are new to me and that is the direction i have been leaning towards so i will give it a shot, im sure the second one will be easier.
Im at stage one though, gathering the wood needed and that may take some time.
Thanks again, it does make more sense now

cynthia lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Borg,

Peter B and Rod T are spot on. The dimensions on the Parts List and on each individual Pattern are both the same dimensions in our toy plans. They are the exact dimensions of the Part with no spare room. So if you cut a block of wood that's the Part's exact dimensions you'll have no slack on the block. The Part's dimensions should be used as a guide only when planning your layout and patterns cutting strategies.

Cynthia

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #7 
Welcome back Borg.

Trust me we where all at your starting point at some point. We are all here to lend a hand as needed.

Some of the folks on this forum are old hands and I consider experts in building and even designing (me not even close LOL in designing or building)

Anyway jump in and share as much as you feel like. We all learn by looking and sharing LOL

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks all, will get there [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us