You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
I would appreciate your feedback on this proposed design. It is super quick and simple to make from 1/4" and 1-1/2" thick material. Length is 12". It will have a companion plan set for a Jet Ski Star Jeep. I will post the jeep proto later. Thanks!

Scene File 001.jpg  Scene File 002.jpg  Scene File 003.png 

001.jpg  

wwalker47

Reply with quote  #2 
This is a very cool toy! I remember my son being (and could still be) a Star Wars fan and with all of the new star War movies around this should be a big seller.

I sure do like the design and the ease of assembly.

Another great job, John!

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
I know feedback is appreciated by John so I took my time before posting and I like the plan. I was skeptical of the piece that comes up on an angle to hold the cannon above the wing but I feel that should be made from a strong type of wood and it will be fine but if there's an issue a small support could be put under the cannon to the wing.
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 

Thanks for the feedback Bucko and Bill. It is greatly appreciated. The x-wing is actually very strong. I have attached the pattern for the x-wing actual size. We cut the wings for the prototype from 1-1/2" thick framing lumber. The width of the wings is actually 1-1/2" so once the wing is cut to shape and drilled, it is ready to be sanded and assembled to the fuselage. 

xwing pattern.png 
The images below show the woodgrain running the length of the wing. This will create a super strong wing. You can see how the wings are inserted into slots in the top half of the fuselage and are sandwiched between the top and bottom halves along with the flat wings.

If the parts are properly glued and clamped the assembly is pretty bullet-proof. Dowel pins through the fuselage and wings can create additional strength. I do not feel this is necessary.

Scene File 007.png 
Scene File 009.png      

Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #5 
I LIKE THIS IT IS A COOL STAR WARS TOY VERY EASY BUILD KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK JOHN.

Reply with quote  #6 
I sure would like to see a real one made from wood with no paint.

As illustrated with the grain running across the wings. I thing these would break fairly easy.

3364676.png 
You would be amazed at what a three year old boy can break or take apart. I have toys that survived both of my girls and all the neighborhood kids playing with them. At two he manged to break three of them one of them several times. I finally reinforced it with plywood. I made two t-rec dinosaurs for him from cabinet grade plywood. He broke one of the less than two minutes after I gave it to him trying to get the dinosaur to eat the sho floor. Since then he had broken them several times. I have take to double pining the legs with dowels. He has managed to get wheels off that I twisted the axle into trying to get a wheel off.

Maybe you should send one to Odin and let him run some Quallity Assurance durability tests on them. I'd be happy to bag up the pieces and ship them back to you. [biggrin]

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks BadBob. You are absolutely right about that. I will change the direction of the grain on the wings. This is why comments are so important. I sometimes miss details like this when I am designing. I need all the eyes on the designs I can get so the plans are as perfect as possible.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Glad to help John.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #9 
Love it,great idea lots of x wing fans out there.[thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #10 
John, thanks for getting interested in Starwars type toy.  Great minds think alike HA!  I love the approach of how you handled the X wing top half.  I have been searching for an X cut to a square block and nothing was working.  I would like to ask however, if you think making another duplicate set of the X wing part and turn them DOWNWARD and eliminate the entire flat piece.  The other indention for the bottom of the "X" part could be cut into the bottom fuselage assembly.  Just a thought.  comments welcome.
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #11 
PapaJack X-Wing Fighter input

PapaJack, the x-wing suggestion is stellar. I overlooked this possibility. That's why it is so important to get the forum's feedback before a new plan set is launched. I am really thrilled with the improvement. What do you think of this modified proto? Thanks!

Scene File 005.png  Scene File 006.png  Scene File 007.png 

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #12 
This is a companion Team Transport for the StarFleet plan set. I will post a couple of more vehicles today. I have completed the designs but still need to make the picture files to upload. The transport ramp lifts out then tabs onto the bed. It is not a swing-down ramp.

Scene File 005.jpg 

Scene File 003.jpg  Scene File 004.jpg 

Scene File 002.jpg 

PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #13 
John thanks for the compliment.  I really appreciate it  I really like the revised photo !!!!  NOW it is taking on a real X fighter..  One other comment before going to mat. Your idea on the design of the wing engineering was fantastic!.  Please consider one more idea.  Make the nose protrude out further.  The pic I have shows it being a little longer from front edge of  wing.  This is really going to be a popular toy.  Appreciate you sharing with group and taking ideas from us.  thanks 
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #14 
Great idea about the longer nose. I incorporate that change into the final design. Thanks for the positive feedback.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #15 
I guess that you can't make it to similar to  star wars X-Wing fighter. I'm not a big star wars fan so I could not remember seeing an xwing fighter like this so I did a bit of looking around. There isn't one quite like it that I could find. However, I'm voting for the longer nose that Papa Jack suggested.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us