You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #1 
I continue to have problems with build-up of sawdust in shop.  Would sincerely appreciate any ideas you might have on this "beat-to-death" but continues to be a problem for me.  I currently attempt to collect at the source but even them room and walls are covered with micro dust.  I guess I would like to have ideas on some real basic information.  Please excuse the repeated request for information on this subject.  Here are some things I graved with.
1.  Are most of you using a large dust collecter with piping ?
2.  How often do you clean walls and ceiling of shop ?
3.  What type of clothing do you wear. ?
4.  Do you use a mask the entire time you are in shop?

Seems like I am starting over asking all of this but I had another respiratory attack and just figured I am doing something wrong.  Appreciate any info you are willing to share.
Rod T

Reply with quote  #2 
Yeh, good question.

Very hard to completely eliminate the dust, but here are some of the things I do.

I use a 1hp dust collector with 100mm pipe for my bandsaw, tablesaw and thicknesser.
It is one of those ones with the bag at the top and bottom. When it gets full, I take it outside and empty it into the garden as mulch. Thicknesser can fill it up in 1 morning.

I have these tools arranged close together, so I just swap over the pipe when I use a particular tool.

I also have a portable downdraft table that hooks up to this for hand sanding.
It is a plastic box with a steel top with holes in it, this sucks most of the dust down through the holes as I sand the wood on the top. Use it with hand held power sanders as well.
This is very effective with fine sanding dust. 
If you don't have one, you can make one pretty easily.
Here is a picture of one that I found on google images. It looks the same as mine and interestingly this one is built into the end of the workbench. Something I might have to look into.

Shop4.jpg 

If I have to sand a big item, like my outdoor setting once a year, I take them outside and use a dust mask when using a power sander. Power sanders are the worst offenders with fine dust, even ones hooked up to a vacuum stuggle to get it all.

Still get fine dust around the shop though, don't tend to clean the walls and ceiling, but vacuum the floor every now and then. Maybe once a year I will get my air compressor out with a nozzle to blast the dust out, I'll open all the doors etc. and use a dust mask and blast out the dust. Creates a dust cloud and will take a while to settle back down. 

I use a shop vac with my disc sander and bobbin sander. Works very well.

I don't use anything with my scroll saw, except a dust mask (most of the time). I tend to let the sawdust gather up around it and then vacuum it afterwards. Doesn't tend to be really fine dust, just fine chips etc. that don't seem to float about. I just haven't found anyway to hook up the vacuum to it and be effective.

Clothing? old clothes that can get dirty. Nothing special. Or go nude, ok I don't do that, I was just checking that you read this far through my ramble.

A Workshop Room Filter is something that I haven't got, someone else may be able to chime in here, but I have heard they are very effective at removing floating fine dust. You hang it from the roof and keep it running the whole time you are in the shop and for some time afterwards to keep the air circulating and filtering.
Here is a picture of one. 
CTF-1000.jpg    
Hope this helps, I am interested to see what everybody else does etc.

Cheers
Rod T

PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #3 
Rod T, thanks so much for the nice information.  I seem to be doing everything you suggested except the table box sander and a central collection unit.  I use the two separate floor vacs.  I do not do much hand sanding however.  Most of my toys and parts I sand on a 6" belt sander and I have a partial hood for vac hooked up to my shop vac connection.  I do not have a large dust collector, I use a long 2 1/2 hose to a pre collection drum that then goes into shop vac.  I have this set-up on both sides of wall (7 x 15 shop size)  I have the two shop vacs vented to the outside.  I do have a air filter system that hangs from ceiling.  It was recommended to me however to run it only when I LEAVE the shop since it continually blows and circulates the airborn particles around in shop - thats the ones that get in lungs - 1 micron.  My problem with work clothes is that I go in and out of the house every hour for drink or something.  I have tried paint suits - too hot, now I am using a Dr's hospital coat.  Trying to find something that will cover me adequately so I do not have to change clothes 5-6 times a session.  I have to protect my wifes BLACK car on the other side of the wall HA!  I also discovered (looking at the top of my floor vac exhaust how MUCH dust is expelled there) BLEW me away !!  I sometimes wish I had portable tools to roll out into back driveway but the noise would certainly offend neighbors.  My shop does NOT look as clean as these OLD oics.   I too hope that I will get some additional ideas from others in the forum,  Thanks again IMG_0066.JPG   IMG_0631.JPG 
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #4 
I'm actually building a sanding downdraft table today using some SS security mesh. I will be connected to my dust extractor which is a central vacuum cleaner - cost a bit but since it can run for a while I wanted a husky unit.
The swarf and chips from thicknesses and table and band-saws are collected in a central 1hp cyclone unit and the room air is cleaned by a ceiling slung room filter on a timer. It runs for half an hour after I've left and saves all that rubbish going in my lungs when I blow down or sweep. Record.

BTW my wife doesn't know I have a central vacuum unit install for the workshop - we haven't even got one for the house!

The one in the shop is piped to four outlets that have a flap type entry that seals when not in use. I really is a magic system!!

I value my lungs!! 

T
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
Amazing posts guys. keep it coming!
dustyoldman

Reply with quote  #6 
Here's how I handle dust....

I have got the following:

1) the biggest/baddest Shop Vac I could find at my local home center - use it for spot capture of dust and debris - I neck the 2.25" hose down to 1.25" which increase the suction (velocity) of the air. I also have adapters which I can use to attach it (the Shop Vac) to my bench top belt sanders and spindle sander.

2) a dust collector similar in concept/function to the Carba Tec shown in Rod T's post (#2). I have mine on a furniture dolly, and I roll it around to the location where I am working - use this most often when I am doing sanding with my pad sanders / and when sweeping the floor. 

I have a timer for it, so that if the dust is really nasty, I can have it run for a period of time after I leave. I could really do with at least 1, and maybe two more these, and ceiling mount them - I'd catch more dust, as my shop is quite large (multi function - used for more than just wood working). My collector does do a job collecting the dust - it has a reusable fabric filter, and given the right kind of dust (color - ie black walnut), you can really see what it captures.

3) I also have an older drum style dust / chip collector. It has a 1/2hp motor and 4" flex hose - I connect it to 1 tool at time - ie the table saw, band saw, jointer, planer etc. It could use a larger, more powerful motor, but its does do the job. The drum/fan act like a cyclone, and air is exhausted in to a fabric bag. The bag collects the dust fines, but I am willing to bet it's not getting them all. I need to get a better bag for it. The alternative would be to upgrade to a newer, more modern dust collector unit (2 or 3 hp). The collection ports for my large tools are home made - mostly 1/4" plywood and foam gasket material. They slow the spread of the dust when cutting, and increase the suction of the collector. I can post pics of what I did if anyone is interested.

DOM

dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #7 
I took a different route after spending time and money on a dust collection system (cheap one) and a shop vac system. The first was not efficient and the other was noisy along with shooting out fine dust past the filter. I have now spent extra money on a good dust extraction system by Festool. I believe Fein makes a similar version. I installed a small air cleaner on ceiling and with the Festool CT26, I have minimum dust in the shop. Sanding leaves very little to none airbourne in the shop. The suction is unbelievable and its quiet. I often scoffed at the price of Festool brand but after this purchase, worth the price. Plus, had I bought a Festool to begin with, my cost wouldn't have been much more. You can't put a price on safety and your health. Just my two cents.

Russ

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_0059.JPG, Views: 39, Size: 415.82 KB 

ctowne

Reply with quote  #8 
Great info especially about the sanding dust. 
Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #9 
I use a shop vac for all machines (table saw, band saw, scroll saw, all kinds of sanders, drill press). It takes a lot of dust away but I still have small particles in my shop. Therefore I always use a mask (3M FFP2). The mask doesn't bother me anymore as long as the temperature doesn't get too high. Maybe my former job as a operating theatre nurse helped me getting used to it ;-).
The outside of the mask looks full of dust after having used it for some days. I use a face screen when sawing as well. That means less dust in my eyes. I can protect my health only before the damage is done.

- Miriam -

Reply with quote  #10 
I use my Jet vacuum to clean up the shop after a project.  My projects include tables, chairs, toys and tool boxes.  Living in the desert I sweep some outside and it mixes with the sandy soil.  Most is swept up bagged and sent to the land fill.  After visiting many a furniture and cabinet shop I realize saw dust is part of my life.
I see myself as making professional sawdust.  The photos of home hobby shops look unused to me.  I use a hearing aid and a cochlear implant.  Nothing worse than the noise of the shop vac. 

Enjoy the environment
of sawdust.

Reply with quote  #11 
I do more than toys, so I have a large Oneida Cyclone 2hp Dust Collection system. I have 4 to 7 inch metal pipe running to each machine and then reduce down to fit each machine, typically 4". Each machine has it's own blast gate. This gets 90% or more but there is always some that escapes. The little that collects at each machine surface I grab as needed with one of two shop vacs. I even have a moveable 2 1/2" hose running to the drill press, this gets almost all the drill swarf. I also have a ceiling mounted unit for fine dust collection that I run as needed. Any hand held power tool that has a dust collection port is attached to a Fein Turbo II shop vacuum, that really helps. Effective dust collection is not cheap but it is a necessary health precaution.

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastoymaker
I took a different route after spending time and money on a dust collection system (cheap one) and a shop vac system. The first was not efficient and the other was noisy along with shooting out fine dust past the filter. I have now spent extra money on a good dust extraction system by Festool. I believe Fein makes a similar version. I installed a small air cleaner on ceiling and with the Festool CT26, I have minimum dust in the shop. Sanding leaves very little to none airbourne in the shop. The suction is unbelievable and its quiet. I often scoffed at the price of Festool brand but after this purchase, worth the price. Plus, had I bought a Festool to begin with, my cost wouldn't have been much more. You can't put a price on safety and your health. Just my two cents. Russ

tool 
Russ, does the Festool CT26 have and exhaust filter and is it a 1 micron?  Do you hook it up to each item you are using.   Thanks for your input
dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #13 
Yes, I do have to hook up each tool and it's HEPA compliant. Here is what Festool has on their site but looks like the answer is yes.

"Festool has exhaustively tested its CT Dust Extractors to the strictest standards (IES RP-CC-002, IES-RP-CC-0034.1) to ensure that our units not only filter particles to 0.3 microns with 99.97% efficiency, but also that the seal between the filter and the vacuum does not allow for bypass leakage."

http://www.eparrphepavacuum.com/hepa-vacuums/EPA-RRP-Certified-HEPA-Vacuum/

They are pricey but I love it. I don't have room for a full dust collection system but this works for my needs. When I sand, no dust in the air and very little if any on the piece.

Russ

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us