You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all - 

I cut these yesterday 12mm marine ply.I estimate I am now 90% through cutting all the pieces and my target is to have is it ready for Christmas ... this year!! There there several hundred individual parts and my day job means that I can only work occasionally on the weekend.

On my CNC machine 12mm marine ply has to be cut with multiple passes on my machine and it takes time - FOR ME ITS NOT A RACE - just had another cancer checkup and I'm still alive!!

If you want to see the real thing Google Colibri Derek Hugger and see what the finished item will be. I think it will be one of the few items my wife will let me have on display in the house!!

I'll post some pics as I start tom assemble if there is interest out there!!

T 12mm Colibri.jpg

Peter B

Reply with quote  #2 
I came across this on youtube sometime ago and it total fascinated me how it worked
Its one of those projects you can't race
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Looks good!!
Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
Very interesting, yes on any other pictures if possible.
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
Cometoz-Thanks for the update on junk posts. We missed it and will clean it up. Please do post the step-by-steps of your CNC masterpiece. We look forward to seeing a lot of photos and video!
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
Wow, what a project. 
I had a look at it on youtube, absolutely brilliant. 

Would love to see the progress as you build this. 

Cheers
Rod T

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #7 
The first of four sheets of 6mm marine ply. Multiple pass 1.5mm Kyocera diamond end mill. The full board is behind to give some idea how you can stack them in.
Only 3 more to go today and the 6mm is all done.

Start on assembly next week.

I'll lay them all out on the plans as I check each piece so I'll send a shot/s of the check sheets to give some idea how much work is entailed.

Just have to sand finish and Danish oil and dry for a week or so.

For those who are interested.

Tony 20161024_130018.jpg 
20161024_122237.jpg 

Mikestoys

Reply with quote  #8 
So far looking good.

Whenever I cut 1/2 plywood for my products I use 2 flute 1/8 Downcut bit and I cut at full depth (1 pass cut) at 55 inch/min This also creates nice and smooth edge. 

I'm thinking about building one too one of these days. When i have more time.

Reply with quote  #9 
Let me assure you there is no burning whatsoever! The plies are very dark and the shadows may have added to the effect.
With my small router 2 flute and one pass definitely does not work - the 12mm in the top picture perhaps better shows the finish - no burning.
To me it is a hobby not a race ... I really don't care how long it takes ... it's not my job and I work on other stuff while the unit is cutting - at 74 I'm in no hurry!!
The diamond cut bits to me work very well and I'll stick with them - the 2 flute don't provide me with the finish I need. I used a 0.5mm over the weekend on another job and went back to a diamond - much cleaner finish.
I have the rest of my life and a day job!
T

ctowne

Reply with quote  #10 
Cometoz - I am excited to see your progress on this.  This is just so cool. 
me74

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Tony, I've used CNC at school on metal but I don't have a machine to use on wood. Don't know if I'll ever make any money or a job doing CNC on metal but maybe more chances in wood. I'm young at 60 so school is tougher besides I love wood better. So far still stuck using the old method of cutting wood by hand, I do have a scrollsaw. Time will tell if I can ever buy a CNC cutter for wood. Nice work with your CNC cutting. Making a clock by chance??
Ed
PS your my first reply, lucky you!!!
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Edward - at now 73.6 I taught myself CNC when I build my first one at 70 - I guess being an engineer helps a bit! Started with a treadle scroll-saw (wish I had't dumped it now, I think they're worth a bit!). Had a bit of a break while I was working in New Guinea and now my dear son built me a beautiful workshop that houses my CNC - a wood and metal lathes, milling machines, thicknesser and table saw and planer and my trusty 21" Excalibur - beautiful machine!
I'm currently still working 3 very full days a week but may cut down to 2.5 after next April so more time in the shop!.
I've made a couple of clocks and currently working on some anatomically correct dinosaurs - the Colibri and some other stuff for clients for their reception areas.
All the best mate!!
Tony 
Rod T

Reply with quote  #13 
Hey Tony

A bit off topic, but can I ask you about the Excalibur scroll saw. I am looking at one of these, although it is branded something different here in Australia. 
I currently have an old Makita and the method of securing pinless blades is a pain in the butt. 
Is the blade attaching method on the excalibur good and reliable. I have seen various youtube videos etc. and they all seem to say to attach the blade and then flip over the tension lever and then only very rarely use the tightening knob at the back. Then the other day I was talking to a guy that has one and he said he has to use the tightening knob at the back with every blade change. 
So I am bit more confused now. 
Can you tell me how you get on with this. My main reason for upgrading is because of the blade changing etc. on the Makita being a pain. If I don't tighten it really hard, the blade slips out.

Cheers
Rod T

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #14 
The main time I use the rear knob is if I have a short blade (because I've pulled it tight and a few mm broke off!) but other than that when I set the lever tension it normally does for the job. Remember - there is no finite point/stop to limit how far of the blade can be inserted in the clamp so it quite often has to be set.
With repeated use I tend to get it right and only need/use the lever - good system!
The Carbatec https://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-and-accessories/scroll-saws/scroll-saws/scroll-saw-21-old-code-ctex-21cec looks as if it is spin off from the EX21 they used to sell - don't quite know how they can do that?!
If you're anywhere near Sydeny - come on over and have a look!

Tony
Rod T

Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks Tony

The Carbatec one is the one I am looking at. I think it was originally Excalibur, then changed to General and now it is branded Carbatec. I am hoping it is just a branding thing and not a cheap chinese knock off. 
Price is still the same, so I imagine it is the same saw, just branded differently.
They are still a few weeks away from being available apparently. 
Hoping to get one soon for the xmas break.

Cheers
Rod T

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us