You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Meds853

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a table saw, but have been bouncing around the idea of a combination miter saw. Those of you that have one or both, can you give me some input.
Rod T

Reply with quote  #2 
I have both.
The Combination Mitre saw is very handy for quickly cutting long lengths to size.
I tend to buy timbers as rough sawn and then machine down myself, so it is quick and easy to walk up to this saw and use etc.
I use it for mitres on long pieces as well, like picture frames etc. I have a couple of different blades for it, so I can keep my nice fine tooth one aside for things like this and use a courser one for rough cutting out. 
The table saw I use for everything else. 
I made a cross cut sled for my table saw, which greatly increased the safety and speed of cross cuts. 
Since I made this I haven't really used the mitre guage on the table saw that much. 

I wouldn't go without my Combination Mitre saw though, as I use it for other construction projects from time to time. Very handy for cutting construction lumber to length. 

But depending on what you intend to use the combination mitre saw for, a crosscut sled for your table saw could possibly give you more options on the table saw if you don't already have one.
These can also be made as a mitre sled. 

I followed this video by The Wood Whisperer. He explains how to make one and square it up very well. 

Cheers
Rod T

Meds853

Reply with quote  #3 
Most of what I make is just toys, that is why I was wondering if I would even be worth me spending the money on. Also I don't actually have a shop ☹ so is it worth taking up space in my back room and then having to carry outside to use it. Thanks so much for the video!!!! Going to be making me a cross cut sled!!!!
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
I have been looking at the mini table saws. They fit the requirement of taking up a small space and seem very versatile.

Proxxon, several others are out there. Of course you get what you pay for. The cheap ones are not very sturdy and don't have descent safety features.

I have been looking at the Proxxon FET mini saw. It seems very capable of doing most anything toy or otherwise. But it is almost the cost of a regular size table saw.
Watch some of the youtube video's on mini table saws, you might find that one of these will fit your needs...

I also have a Rockwell Blade runner X2 that does many things well and is considered a hobbyist table saw.

It will cut simple miters, rip and cross cut. You might check that out as well. It takes a very small foot print and I can move it to the bench as needed. Basically it's a jig saw mounted in a table.

It has allowed me to cut much more precisely and so far seems to do everything I want and is I think aimed at the hobbyist.
You can get a lot of different blades, so you can cut metal, plastic, wood etc depending on the blade used.
As with any tool that uses a blade of any type you need to put good quality blades on them.

Sorry for the long winded post .... Just wanted to give my 3 cents worth ...

Reply with quote  #5 
I have a 10 in table saw that works well, just thought may be a miter saw might speed things up.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I have a Hitachi 12" sliding compound miter saw. If I'm careful and do my part it is easy to get 1/64 of an inch accuracy out of it. You can cut amazingly tiny parts with it using a zero clearance insert and proper hold down / clamping techniques. You can even cut a dado with it. The down side for me is that it makes a huge mess when you cut something with it. No amount of dust collection will contain one of these machines without some sort of hood. Some places contractors are not allowed to bring them into the hoses they are working on because they make such a mess. This is a problem not unique to Hitachi but also to other miter saws as well. Google for "miter saw dust collection".

If you get one buy a good quality saw and use good blades. Most of them come with a pretty bad blade.  My Hitachi came with a pretty good blade.

If your only going to make toys I would recommend one of the 8.5 inch sliding compound miter saws. Bosch, Hitachi and Makita have these. DeWalt made one for awhile but it no longer seems to be available.

In any case decide in advance what you want to cut and how precise a cut you want to make. Buy a saw that will do this. I have a twelve inch Hitachi because I had a project that required me to cut a lrge number of 4x4s and half lap them. I got tired of gnawing them in half with a circular saw and found a refurbished one cheap.

When you buy findout if there are accessories available and buy them when you get the saw. Once the model gets updated and accessories will disappear fast. I have been trying to locate a second vise for mine for two years.

If I wanted more precision cuts I would use a table saw and the appropriate jigs such as a sliding table.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us