You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #1 

This document contains a workflow that I have adopted based on plans I purchased from ToyMakingPlans.com. This is just one of many ways to use a CNC for toy making but so far it works for me. This isn’t for a person that isn’t computer savvy, which you will see later in the posts. This will be the first in a series but since my time is limited, it may happen quickly. A few notes before I get started:

I contacted John before creating this document and he has given his limited blessing. I say limited because his work is copyrighted and you should purchase his plans before starting this process. I’m using the PlayPal file for this text since it is a free file and it’s the one I used to vet out the process.

The software I use:

Adobe Illustrator

Vectric software – Vcarve Desktop 8.0

My CNC:

Rockler Piranha Shark FX (upgraded from original) No Laser or 3d Printer. The weekend after I purchased mine, they came out with the FX version. Since I was getting ready for a craft show, I didn’t have time to return or exchange it.

A couple of comments on purchasing a CNC. Buy the largest table size you can. Mine is very small but fits my space. Plan for dust control, they make a mess. If I could, I would buy a ShopBot (just my opinion).

I researched several CNC machines including ShopBot, Digital Carver, X-Carve, and Rockler Pirannha. If I had more budget and space, I would have opted for a Digital Carver or ShopBot but there are many good choices including building your own.

Pros of Piranha:

Small

No computer, uses USB Stick

Table with t-track

Purchased through major retailer

Cons of Pirannah

Small

Uses Router (may not be accurate)

No Dust Boot (you have to have FX for dust boot)

Sometimes it does what it wants to do

I also researched different software packages and settled on a CNC that included Vcarve. I have the desktop version which is fine for my work. The pro includes larger sizes and additional feature sets.

That’s all for now, my next installment will go over how I went through the thought process of getting files ready for CNC.

Russ 

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: CNC_-_1.jpg, Views: 91, Size: 207.69 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: CNC_-_2.jpg, Views: 86, Size: 148.10 KB 

ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for the recap.  Let us know how it goes.  After purchasing a plan, this may be a good option for some parts. 
Cindy
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
We all appreciate this information. Please keep us informed of your progress. I hope to buy a CNC someday and to start experimenting with it.
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #4 
I have a Stepcraft 600 Mk 2 with an HF spindle. I have a small boot that secures all the dust to my vac system. The system is piped to a central vacuum system separate from the cyclone extractor that is used for the planer and thicknesser as it produces fine dust rather than shavings.

The system works extremely well and am currently cutting 1/2" and 3/8" marine ply for an automated mechanism I may post when finished. Great addition to the shop!!
T 20160806_174449.jpg 

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks to you for the great photo. Is that straight off your CNC?
dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #6 
Cindy, yes, this works great for small parts. My CNC is limited to about a sheet of paper. A lot of the plans on this site have parts that will fit on a sheet of paper. If you scale (as you do for a lot of your builds), you could in theory use those larger plans on a CNC similar to mine.

Russ
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #7 
Sorry for the late reply John - yes that is straight off the machine - bristle boot sucks up all dust etc so there is no dust in the air.
20160806_164221.jpg The bit produces very clean cuts - over 1/4"(6mm) I do multiple cuts but always great results - consistent and clean.
I have just returned from a funeral - sorry I lost a few days
T

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
We are sorry to hear about your loss. I hope all is well with you. Thanks for the great posts. I watch for them every day and am learning more than I ever knew about CNC. Greatly appreciate you taking the time to share with us.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us