You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Tino

Reply with quote  #1 
Does everyone buy the wheels or make your own? I do t have a lathe..can wheels be made with a holesaw?
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Tino - That is a good question, and as you can see, many of the members who post photos of their projects and the featured members in the WTN's (Wood Toy News) demonstrate both purchased and home made wheels. Obviously for some, purchased wheels are easily acquirable today with web site ordering. Shipping costs, duty and brokerage fees should be taken in consideration before ordering. Some of our toy makers are not so fortunate with local or internet suppliers and hence make their own wheels by necessity or personal preference.
This web site demonstrates two methods of making wheels. One with a hole saw for smaller wheels and another which demonstrates making larger wheels.
Here are the links to the post found on this web site's home page under the tab "Wood Toy Workshop".
http://www.toymakingplans.com/website/how-to/how-to-make-small-wood-toy-wheels.html
and
http://www.toymakingplans.com/website/how-to/how-to-make-large-wood-toy-wheels.html

There is a Forum post that may interest you, here is the link to that post.
It is in the section "How-to-Do's Tips & Tricks" ... Titled "Small Wheels" ... original posted 02/24/14 by Ceefa.
http://forums.toymakingplans.com/post/small-wheels-6776022?pid=1285582057#post1285582057

I think you will find the above referenced material interesting and useful.
Tino

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you so much for your help.
Jodywright

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi
I am a learner as well and have found the link Udie gave you invaluable.  For the small wheels (say less than 2 inches), I find that cutting a piece of dowel on the bandsaw gives nice reproducible wheels.  Make yourself a jig first (actually two jigs), one to butt the dowel on before you advance it into the bandsaw so that you have reproducible widths.  The second is to hold the dowel on so that it will not jump as you advance it into the band saw.  For the larger wheels, I use a holesaw attachment.
Using a sander, I sand the flat side portions of the wheels and the round portion of the wheels.  Udie has a nice jig set up to do that.  To make the round portions, I made a jig and use my router (inverted on a router table) with a roundover bit.  Works great and you have reproducible wheels every time.  I can send you a photo of the jig if you decide to go this way
Jody
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
Jodywright - Your jig for making wheels and rounding them over with the router sounds really interesting.
I would and I am sure our members/guests would really like to see it also.
I am going to ask you a favour.
How about starting your own topic in the "How-to-do Tips & Tricks" section of the Forum and post your photos there.
I think you will receive more attention there ... sounds like a plan?
Jodywright

Reply with quote  #6 
sure, I can do that.  Take me a bit to get the photos done, but I will do a post
Jody

Thanks Jody, looking forward to seeing your post - Udie
gazz

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi
This is my first post here, been a member a little over a month got some great plans. but unfortunately not made anything as yet except some wheels, found a website with good plans and how to on wheels, they also have a nice fire engine plan.

http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Making_Toy_Highway_Style_Wheels

Large Wheel Size.jpg 
White oak outer, red oak inner, applied with Cynthia's wax      
Large Wheel Tread.jpg 
Made the tread with a chisel on the home made lathe
Small Wheel Size.jpg 
White oak wheel made on the lathe with gouge

Reply with quote  #8 
gazz
Great post.
I opened your link - liked what a saw.
Copied the contents and pasted it into a word document for future reference.
Once I'm done a little editing I'll convert it to a PDF.
Thanks for posting.
Udie
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #9 
Just checked out the link as well ... looks interesting for making some wheels.

Thanks for sharing

Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you for the link, I also did as Udie did download and convert to pdf.

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us