You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
My household has all new computers that are running Windows 10. Windows 10 uses "Edge" for getting on the internet.

Opening a .pdf in Windows 10 uses the internet. It goes thru "Edge" which in turn takes to Adobe. When I print a set of plans they do so at 97% (not 100%). Research has shown this to be the default setting due to having an inch set in for margins. I have been unable to reset anything so as to get the additional 3% needed.

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish getting the 100% the first time. This also causes double duty if I want to enlarge a plan set. I have to print, 1st 97%, then repeat using printer as copy machine and make a copy by adding 3% to the size I want.

Any suggestions. Purchasing a new printer will not cure the problem, dictated by Windows 10 and Adobe.

...Don

Peter B

Reply with quote  #2 
Cynthia had the solution at the time Rod was looking to enlarge his Corvette a few weeks ago.
In the print box there is scaling and none needs to be selected.
I will have a look for Cynthia's explanation and repost it here unless Cynthia gets here before me
Peter B

Reply with quote  #3 
Peter B, your toy plans should still print at 100% even though you use A4 paper. We allow adequate margins for our customers outside of the USA. What could be happening is your printer is scaling done the pages automatically. With most printers you should be able to select a setting in your printer dialog box that says something similar to, "Print Actual Size" or "Print 100%" or similar. In the screenshot example below we've set our Page Scaling to "None".

print-from-PDF.jpg 
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #4 
Windows 10 opens .pdf files on line at Adobe web site. There is no scaling box available. All my searches have produced that Microsoft gave up on their program that was to replace .pdf's and worked something out with Adobe.

So until I can get by their default program, I can only print at the dictated 97%.

...Don
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #5 
Well there's a good reason not to upgrade to 10!

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
xihunter

Reply with quote  #6 
Personally, I would download the Adobe Reader from Adobe's website and then change the default .pdf reader as described here:  http://techdows.com/2015/08/how-to-change-the-default-pdf-viewer-in-windows-10.html

Just my personal opinion...
Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
Sounds a bit odd. 
The size settings should be in your print driver that is on your computer. Maybe you need to update the driver for your printer. To ask a silly question, did you install the print drivers for your printer on the new computer? or are you printing to a generic driver? this could be an issue. 

I would also do what XLhunter said and download the free adobe acrobat reader and use that rather than using an online service to read a PDF.  

It looks like you need to change how your new computer opens and reads PDF files. By default it is using edge through an online service, but you can change this.

Although, I do not have windows 10, so am only guessing. but it seems to make sense.

Also make sure that you actually download the PDF files to your computer when you purchase them and not just opening them online through a web browser.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rod T

Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #8 
I have been unable to locate Adobe Reader only. It is all connected to the cloud. It is now known as Adobe Reader DC, indicating using their cloud.

This is getting frustrating.

I just do not know what to do.

Don
cynthia lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Wooddawg, Adobe Reader DC is the most recent version of Adobe Reader. It's recommended that you download the software and open your PDF files in Adobe Reader: https://get.adobe.com/reader/

I agree with the other chaps in their comments about printing 100%. It's your printer that controls the size of the image printed. You want your printer set to "full size" or "100%" or "do not scale" in the printer's dialog box that pops up when you try to print a document. Every printer has different verbiage.

Also, you may want to check if your printer is set to "landscape" or "portrait" mode. Most of our plans are "landscape". Most printers adjust this setting automatically but some require you to select the mode.

You mentioned that your plans are 3% smaller. That's a very small discrepancy. The 3% difference could be attributed to paper shrinkage. All of the dimensions on our plans can vary + or  –  1/16” or 3 millimeters without affecting the assembly. If your printed pages are off only slightly it shouldn't affect the toy design and building the design.

Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #10 
Cynthia,

I pasted the address you gave me for adobe reader and it took me to the following:

"Do more with the leading PDF viewer.

More powerful than other PDF software, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is the free, trusted standard for viewing, printing and annotating PDFs. And now, it’s connected to Adobe Document Cloud — so it’s easier than ever to work with PDFs on computers and mobile devices."

The one that downloads to our hard drive does not exist anymore. Their software works with one's installed printer but you get their dialogue box and it does not offer scaling. I have been changing the paper to landscape, but my understanding is that the 97% is to allow for the margins. Also you will be working in their Cloud.

I have found that the 3% lose is equivalent to 1/8". I am sorry for being so high maintenance. Just concerned about this. Am I really the only one with this issue?

Thanks for putting up with me everyone.

...Don
cynthia lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Don, The website link for Adobe Reader is correct https://get.adobe.com/reader/. The link will bring up a webpage that will automatically detect your computer's operating system. If you follow the prompts you'll be installing the latest free version of Adobe Reader on your computer:
  adobe-reader.jpg

BadBob

Reply with quote  #12 
I don't use Adobe reader. In the Linux word there are several PDF readers. You can also extract the images from the PDF and print them with graphics software.

In all cases you must insure that you print them dot for dot.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

toolow

Reply with quote  #13 
on my printer dialog it has a spot to either fit or print actual size.  I hit the actual size button and everything comes out 100% 
kangaroopaws

Reply with quote  #14 
Hi don't know if this will help, I use firefox as my search engine, don't like windows edge I have windows 10 and a cannon printer with  "no scale and use landscape with no problems at all , this is all I can help with
cheers rob
Steve W

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi guys I had this problem since I signed up to the forum. The only way around it was to download a free program Nitro Free PDFs printer. This allowed 100% which was accurate and percentage scaling. Works every time on the laptop now.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us