You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
AdamR-NY

Reply with quote  #16 
First off thank you for all the great content and directions.  I watched the videos on making thin strips and glue up...excellent stuff.  My question is around the different wood colors (non-painted) on some of the showcase videos.  So for example I love the Ciccarelli Gran Prix plan, I especially like the wood version.  In the video is that just one type of wood stained different colors or is it different types of woods? 
cynthia lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #17 
Hi AdamR-NY,

In the video on our website we used different types of wood to build the Scroll Saw Magic Ciccarelli Gran Prix. We picked up scraps of exotic wood from our local Woodcraft store. However, several of our customers have shared that they like to contact their local cabinet shops and ask for scrap wood. They usually are able to pick up some beautiful scraps for free.

You can get a similar effect by using an inexpensive wood like White Poplar and staining it with MinWax stains. If you stain the wood, you'll want to mask the surfaces to be glued so that the glue adheres well. We use masking tape cut with an exacto knife to create a mask. The mask doesn't have to be perfect. The idea is to leave the bulk of the wood surface to be glued stain-free.

CiccarelliGranPrixSm.jpg 

Udie

Reply with quote  #18 

AdamR-NY: Thanks for sharing your compliments. I do not know which woods were used on that project but I think the Boss does. So it'll ask him to post a reply.
Udie

AdamR-NY

Reply with quote  #19 
@ Cynthia - Thanks for the reply...OK that all makes sense and I would guess that same masking process would apply to painting individual parts as well.  Now to do a little research on local cabinet shops [wink]

@ Udie Thanks!
AdamR-NY - do you think I should edit my post to her and hot him? - Udie
AdamR-NY

Reply with quote  #20 
I was wondering when the "him" was going to respond but I think you're ok now. 
@They are a team, we are OK - Udie[smile]
GentleGiant

Reply with quote  #21 
Hello I am in Qu├ębec ,Canada and i only find white Pine and russian birch  . Where i can found Ash ,Walnut , Padauk , American Lime ' Basswood etc.[confused]
Udie

Reply with quote  #22 
GentleGiant - Well that's an interesting question. I would have thought Quebec would have a very good supply of wood stores similar to what's available in Ontario.
   I'm not sure what chain of big box stores you have in your area but most stores of that type would certainly carry Poplar, Oak and Maple at a minimum.
   Cynthia suggested to visit a local cabinet maker for starters, that could be fruitful trip not only for a contact and some leads but possible free cut-offs.
   The other option is do a internet search in you area using buzz words like exotic woods or specialty woods, you just might find either a mill close by or even an exotic wood supplier that you were not aware of.
   That's the best I can do for you right now.
It sounds like you are looking for a supplier that carries various wood thicknesses, that makes your task a little harder unless you have equipment to cut/thin standard to stock to the thicknesses you require.
   Maybe some of our members are out your way and suggest some suppliers.
Let us know how you make out.
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #23 
hello there my car was made from offcuts of timber and had to use the size timber i had but all worked out ok i get a lot of my small offcuts from a timber yard i just went in and asked one day and was told to help myself so always worth asking they can only say no. 

Reply with quote  #24 
Marlowe here;  I'm considering building some of the doll houses because I don't have much for the girls. The concern I have is the cost of the lumber especially the wide lumber (1x 12) I do have some pine on hand but not that wide and I would have to edge join pieces together to make it wide enough.
Another concern I have is the problem of cupping. solid wood has the tendencies of doing so.
    Therefore I am strongly considering using MDF as the cost would be much lower. I know about the issue of sealing the edges for a consistent finish and there is also the weight problem. And what do you think of using 5.8" instead of 3.4"?  If I had to buy lumber here in western Canada I would buy Poplar as it is more reasonable priced and the grain is tight and paints well. Would appreciate hearing from anyone about what to do.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #25 
I think I would use a good quality plywood. Probably 1/2 inch Baltic birch, but I'm not a doll house builder.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #26 
I like to use beech as a base material for the toys I make. It is hard and can be grained and polished smooth as a baby skin. I am lucky to have found a supplier where I can buy the wood pretty cheap. On the carpenter school I can make panels from the wood and make them on the thickness I need. I like the colours of natural wood so search for contrasting wood like walnut. Unfortunately walnut is extremely expensive :-(
The first wheels I made from cheap plywood and Wenge veneer. It was an experiment and happened to work out pretty well.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 47, Size: 1.29 MB 

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #27 
Believe it or not, i have never used beech wood. This is a must-do now. The wheels came out really nice. i especially like the veneer wheels. This is a great photo and a great pair of trucks!
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #28 
Hi everyone,
 I was given a bunch of 3/4 inch bass wood for free a couple years ago. I'm cleaning out and organizing my wood room and not sure if I should keep it. Does anyone know what it can be used for? I'm not a carver so I'm thinking about just burning it and making room for more usable wood. Would love to hear if anyone has ideas. Thanks.  
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #29 
I would keep it and enjoy using it. It works great for toy parts as long as the edges have a radius and the parts are not too thin or sharp. The fine grain makes it ideal for painting. Also, it is perfect for model-making because of it's stability when gaining and losing moisture.

Basswood does not show grain and is rather plain looking. Since it is light weight it is not particularly strong. It is easily nailed and tends to be stable in use. Because of its light weight and stability it is used for Venetian blind slats and key stock in pianos, concealed parts in furniture, millwork such as sash and doors, picture frame molding, and for apiary supplies. It is also rotary peeled for core stock in plywood and for basket veneer. It is one of the most preferred species for carving. The wood is a poor choice where great strength and hardness are needed. It is not good for lathe work.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #30 
Ship it to me. I'll figure out something to do with it.[biggrin]
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us