You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #1 
So far with all the toys I've made that require wheels, I've used dowels and glued the wheels to those.  I purchased some plans with the recent 50% off sale and they require axle pegs.  One one of the plans it shows using a wheel with a 1/4" hole and also drilling a 1/4" hole into the chassis.  The actual axle peg is 7/32".

My question is, do I just glue the peg into the chassis and the glue will fill in the 1/32" difference between the hole size (1/4") and the peg size (7/32")?

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
I have found that the pegs will work fine in a 1/4" hole that provides room for a good quantity of glue. It also makes it so you do not have to hammer the peg into the hole which sometimes is such a tight fit in a 1/4" hole that it can split the wood as the peg is forced in.
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you John. I will give it a try.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Paul

When using axle pegs I use a drill bit that allows the peg to snuggly fit without having to belt it in with a hammer. Although not necessary, in most cases as an added security measure I drill a hole from underneath the car, through the timber and the peg and then glue in a 4mm dowel or a BBQ Skewer. Then cut this off flush.

Have a look at my video of the tractor and farm animals, I show how I do this. 
You will notice that I use a bit of cardboard as a spacer between the wheel and the car, this gives just enough space for the wheel to spin freely without being sloppy.

Have never had one come off yet.

Cheers
Rod T

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T
Hi Paul

When using axle pegs I use a drill bit that allows the peg to snuggly fit without having to belt it in with a hammer. Although not necessary, in most cases as an added security measure I drill a hole from underneath the car, through the timber and the peg and then glue in a 4mm dowel or a BBQ Skewer. Then cut this off flush.

Have a look at my video of the tractor and farm animals, I show how I do this. 
You will notice that I use a bit of cardboard as a spacer between the wheel and the car, this gives just enough space for the wheel to spin freely without being sloppy.

Have never had one come off yet.

Cheers
Rod T

Rod great idea of the peg in the peg missed that video do you have a link to it? I know what you mean but for the novice out there it would be good to see it, plus I want to see the tractor. 

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
http://forums.toymakingplans.com/post/video-of-quick-simple-farm-tractor-with-animals-build-8080858?pid=1292683039

These ones are my extended versions.

John has put the shortenned versions on the videos page accessable from the home page.

Cheers
Rod T
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #7 
Rod - The pegs in the axles is a good extra step and one that I'll try.  Your videos were great and I also liked your trick of using superglue.  I'll borrow that trick from you as well!

Reply with quote  #8 
The superglue idea came from someone else on the forum here.
Only too glad to pass it on.
It is the single most time and frustration saver.
It saves so much effort by stopping pieces slide around while clamping up. I do this all the time now.
Using BBQ skewers I also picked up here on the forum, i had been using 4mm dowel, but my supply dried up. The Skewers vary in diametre a lot, but work pretty well.
Wooden toothpicks is another idea I am yet to explore.

Cheers
Rod T
ctowne

Reply with quote  #9 
I too use the superglue after watching your video Rod - just a few little drops to keep it from sliding while the wood glue takes hold.  Huge time saver.  I missed who first gave the tip but appreciate you putting it in your video so it sunk in that time. 
Cindy
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T
http://forums.toymakingplans.com/post/video-of-quick-simple-farm-tractor-with-animals-build-8080858?pid=1292683039 These ones are my extended versions. John has put the shortenned versions on the videos page accessable from the home page. Cheers Rod T

Excellent videos I will definitely use the peg idea on my next tractor and on the Grand daughters pull along duck as the wheels drop off before as the pegs worked loose as she took it down the road as it was only mean't for the carpet in the house oops. [thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Hambone

Reply with quote  #11 
I use an old credit card as a spacer between wheel and toy car....can be used over and over again.  Cut the credit card opening so it is snug against peg tail.

Hambone

Hambone
ctowne

Reply with quote  #12 
Excellent tip Hambone.  I am going to use it. 
Cindy
Rod T

Reply with quote  #13 
Damn good idea Hambone.
The missus just got a new credit card. I'll use that... Oh wait, did I just say that...

Cheers
Rod T
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us