You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
Because of some questions I was asked recently and some projects I'm working on I was looking for a definitive answer to the question: Does shellac work was a primer for acrylic craft paint?

I found this little article by  Michael Dresdner.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #2 
yes, it does.
I use shellac a lot as a primer for both acrylic paint and wax.
It should be applied very thin. The shellac works perfect as a sealer for the end Grain.
The bare wood takes less water from the acrylic paint. I still needed 3 layers of coloured paint.

- Miriam -

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 70, Size: 284.35 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 71, Size: 238.61 KB 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Generally for craft paint it takes three coats of paint. Exceptions are the darker colors and or thicker paints.

When using bright/lighter colors I like to use white as the first and or second coat.

Sealing with shellac definitely cuts down on the amount of sanding I do.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Chantel mdv

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi, I need you advice. I am doing a puzzle with wooden cubes. I have used Shellac as a sealer, then painted  on the wood (acrylic paint). I used a Staedler Permanent black marker to outline the shapes of the drawings. But when I applied Shellac as a non toxic child finition, the black lines drooled. I was so disappointed.

I can't imagine doing straight lines with a fine paintbrush to do the contours of my drawings... Any advice?

thanks
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
A lot of inks can be dissolved with alcohol. Before I would use anything over ink of any kind I would try it with a test piece first.

I did a bit of searching around. The pen toy want is one of these or something like it:

Statmark Pen: resistant to formalin, ethanol, isopropanol and xylene

Ethanol and isopropanol are alcohols.  The solvent in the shellac is alcohol.

You can probably get these at a place that sells laboratory supplies.

There are paint pens that might do the job for you and there are epoxy inks but I don't think epoxy will work for you.

If you ink is water proof you might try one of the water based finishes.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Ceefa

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm very interested to see that many of the toymakers use acrylic craft paints to paint their toys. I have always used acrylic house paints in test pots to paint my toys and find them not needing a primer. I just paint straight on to the wood. Colours like yellow and blue sometimes need an extra coat as they do not cover too well.

They are thicker and i finish off with a water-based gloss polyurethane and then perhaps a clear gloss from a spray can and it seems to work very well.  For those Aussies and Kiwis in the group I have always used Resene paints.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceefa
I'm very interested to see that many of the toymakers use acrylic craft paints to paint their toys. I have always used acrylic house paints in test pots to paint my toys and find them not needing a primer. I just paint straight on to the wood. Colours like yellow and blue sometimes need an extra coat as they do not cover too well.

They are thicker and i finish off with a water-based gloss polyurethane and then perhaps a clear gloss from a spray can and it seems to work very well.  For those Aussies and Kiwis in the group I have always used Resene paints.

I use both.

One reason is that acrylics craft paints are available in many color that are not available as house paint. Metallics for example. Craft paint is readily available in lots of stores in a large variety of colors.

I generally find house paint to cover much better than than craft paint and more durable. Craft paint is lots more forgiving of weather temperature and humidity levels. I've learned the hard way to check the humidity before using house paint. I think I prefer the exterior house paint over the other types.

I've done a cost per ounce price comparison and the craft paints are cheaper but only if I buy them at Wal-Mart. House paint wins the cost game when you buy oops paint. However, oops paint severely limits the color choices to what ever they mess up. I've had some mixed results with oops paint and my suspicion is that some times the oops isn't just the color but fifty cents for a pint of paint is hard to resist so I check the oops paint every time I go into Home Depot.

Lately I have purchased samples direct for the Behr web site. The ship it driectly to my Home Depot.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us