You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jbowie

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm just getting into building toys and I'm looking for a scroll saw that I can get STARTED with. A high end Delta or Dewalt is really not in the cards for me right now and the used market is not very robust here in the small Canadian city in which I live.

Has anyone ever used this saw? http://www.amazon.com/WEN-3920-16-inch-Variable-Flexible/dp/B005UKGL58/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_sims?ie=UTF8#Ask It gets pretty good reviews and I have access to this saw at a reasonable price (branded General International, but the same saw). But, as always - 1st hand knowledge is always appreciated. 

Are there any other STARTER alternatives I should be considering? Unfortunately I don't have access to either the Ryobi or any Craftsman saws (not available where I live). Obviously I realize that it isn't appropriate to expect the performance of a $500 tool for $150. Just looking for a tool that can do the basics pretty well for a few years. If I like doing this in a year or two, I would have no problem upgrading to a better saw. If it's collecting dust, then I'll sell it or give it away and go back to making terrible, terrible furniture. 

Thanks!

-- James
BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
I still have an AMT made in Taiwan that I modified to take pin less blades. I've cut lots of things with it over the years including some nice fretwork. If you use good blades and practice with you saw you can do some nice work with it. Make sure the saw will cut the thickness you want. My AMT struggles with cutting car bodies out of 2x4s. 

I also have an RBI Hawk I picked up used. It is so much easier to change the blades that he only time I use the AMT is if the RBI is not working for some reason. It cuts 2x4s with no problem.

I highly suggest you look for used ones. Low end saws turn up frequently on Craigs List.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Tony

Reply with quote  #3 
I live in Ontario, Canada and have seen a lot of used saw real cheap on kijiji. Not sure of your location but give that's try.
Tony

Reply with quote  #4 
I looked very hard at the WEN stuff but wasn't able to find anywhere local to look at one in person. Might be great, might not. I have the craftsman scroll below and bought parts to make blade changes tool less. It works very well and I've used it for every toy I have made. However,I wish I had bought the porter cable because it didn't cost much more and the table swings both directions and is much larger. FWIW, my local Sears has a tool repair center, and they have 2 of the craftsman scroll saws refurbished with warranties for $65.00.
HTH
The craftsman saw I have:

http://m.craftsman.com/craftsman-16inch-variable-speed-scroll-saw-21602/p-00921602000P

The porter cable saw:
http://m.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-1-6-Amp-Variable-Speed-Scroll-Saw/3163797

Reply with quote  #5 
James,

Were you able to purchase a scroll saw?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us