You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #1 
Hope this is the right place for this.

As some may have read I am building a WW2 half track and needed to cut the tyre treads so took a weeks break from the build to construct a jig this will be used hopefully on many builds to come.

Made from anything I could find in the workshop and did not have to buy anything for it. I wanted it to take two of my tools a Dremel and the hand piece to another, they needed different sized tool holders.
The jig is based on one that another model maker made but I felt it needed a moveable tool carriage so as to accommodate various diameter wheels.

Any way here is the completed jig and I have been asked on another forum for some drawings so I will be putting together some of the photo's of the build and instructions into a pdf hopefully some time in the next week..

DSCF7740.JPG 
DSCF7746.JPG 

In this photo you can see the Dremel tool holder removed by unscrewing the two square ended screws. The little wooden knob is a stop so that you can only cut down so far.

DSCF7748.JPG 
The main carriage has to be turned 180deg to use the hand piece which attaches to a flexible drive, the reason being is that the over hang is much shorter so the depth stop also has to be transferd to this side. The carriage moves back and fore so as to accommodate different diameter wheels

DSCF7749.JPG 
I could only find one wingnut so used this to hold the wheel blanks to the jig as normally you would make at least four at a time. So for the carriage I used a standard nut so glued a magnet onderneath to hold the spanner otherwise I would be forever looking for it

DSCF7743.JPG 
A test piece before letting myself loose on the wheels I was quite happy with the results

DSCF7742.JPG 
And the wheels complete as well as a Photo of them on the chassis of the half track. The only question now is was it worth a week making this jig, I think it was

DSCF7752.JPG  DSCF7754.JPG  DSCF7759.JPG 

When I have finished the write up and drawings if anyone is interested I will see if I can post them

Sorry for a long post and the amount of pictures

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice wheels.  I can follow the dialog and pictures completely. 
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice.

Would like a copy of your PDF for sure
Thanks for taking the time to share this great jig

Thinking out side the box is great when it all comes together.

My problem is when i think outside the box it looks like the box just fell apart lol

Reply with quote  #4 
Very neat, thank you for a useful little jig.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
More photos is more better. A good photo can tell me more than lots of text.  Keep them coming.

Yet another good use for a hard drive magnet. I've got lots of extra wrenches in the common sizes but now I can put them where ever they are needed.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Greg

Reply with quote  #6 
very slick   [thumb][thumb][thumb]      i could almost be talked into making my own wheels now
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #7 
A great idea, well executed and described, thank you!

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you all.

I am a little behind on the jig PDF but have now got most of the bits drawn up and started to put them into some sort of order

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us