You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Beginner

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
As I am just about ready to start some scroll sawing(smaller objects, like cars etc), I was wondering, which type of wood should I use and where(I am in UK)should I buy it from.
I want to paint my stuff, so I don't suppose I need to worry bout hardwoods just yet.
Thanks.
Beginner.
KenFM

Reply with quote  #2 

Beginner

I use Pine for most of my projects. I go on Ebay or gumtree and buy a double pine wardrobes for no more than £20 The amount of timber you get from this is fantastic all different thicknesses  and the finish will sand of  easy If you go to the likes of B & Q you would pay £15 for 2.4m x 100mm x 18mm I rest my case You can dismantle a wardrobe with no problem to transport it home

Good luck

Ken

Beginner

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks KenFM,
I will try that.
Beginner
Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #4 
I always look for old furniture on craigslist for free at auctions swap meets these are great  sources for good wood and very cheap. toys 072.jpg  toys 071.jpg 

Reply with quote  #5 
Or even old, thrown-out furniture in charity shops, on dumps, etc.

Just make sure that it isn't chipboard!

Keith Harrison

Reply with quote  #6 
Like KenFM I buy all my wood on Ebay. Though I'm not as generous as he is. I have two basic rules that I keep to (well mostly).
1) I do not send more than £5.
2) I do not travel more than a 5 mile radius to pick it up.
Although this may sound restrictive over the last couple of months I've filled my garage with enough wood to last me until about Christmas.

There are also a couple of things to note about buying wood this way.
1) The thickness will not in general match what the plan says you need. Hence you need to allow for this when you cut out the parts.
2) Although it may not appear to be, just about all pine furniture has either been varnished or waxed. You do need to sand this off before you try to glue the pieces together. I did not when I started making Noah's Ark and have had to re-glue just about every piece. 

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
I love found wood. Old weathered wood furniture has been the source of a lot of beutiful toys.
Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #8 
Your are correct Keith you will have to prepare the wood  I don't have a thickness plainer  yet so I usually use my table saw and cut slightly larger then I need then use my bench top sander to sand to the correct thickness. But you can't beat the price. The head board above  dates to about the 1960's . It is solid 3/4 inch Oak, how much would that cost in a store. I paid $5 at an auction.                        

Reply with quote  #9 
I check craigslist every  day for free old furniture I always find free stuff. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us