You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
IanPlant

Reply with quote  #1 
I dont know whether contracted is the right word but i have a problem. I have cut a wheel arch (see photo) and it is now smaller than what it is supposed to be

IMG_2194a.JPG 

Reply with quote  #2 
Not sure what you mean.  I have had parts shrink when I heat treated them for coloring in the oven.  I now cut after. 
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
Wow - that is odd.
The only things that come to mind is one of the patterns was not printed to scale.
Or the original plan set has an error.
What plan set are these parts from?

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
It looks like the printer slipped and printed not full size or it printed in portrait mode instead of landscape mode. In the printer dialog box are settings for "print to scale" or "print full size" or "print to fit". The exact wording varies from printer to printer and computer to computer. But all printers will have some type of dialog box appear when you select "print". Do not select "print to fit page" or "print to fit". Always make sure that "print full size" or "print to scale" is the type of message selected. 

Also, always check the printer dialog box to make sure that you select "landscape" if the plan set pages are wider than they are tall and that you select "portrait" if the plan set pages are taller than they are wide. This usually solves any printed page size issues.

Tony

Reply with quote  #5 
It could be the wood, I have ripped pieces of wood on a table saw and had the kerf close up and pinch the saw. By the look of the piece it does have the grain running across the top so it could be this.
Tony

Reply with quote  #6 
no printer or plan error it is/was the wood that i used i cut the piece below in the picture and that one came out fine. i have since done 2 more as the first one i cut snapped [frown].

Its from the petebilt truck stop the wheel arch's at the front

Reply with quote  #7 
Interesting
Tony made a good observation and comment on the wood grain as the possible root cause.
I think you can salvage this fender.
Soak it in water, wrap it up and microwave it.
Then clamp it over one of the wheels with some spacers or make a clamping jig.
Similar to one of the posts I did on making the bucket for the front end loader.
Once it had hand enough time to dry, it should be good to use.
IanPlant

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you for the tips and advice 

I will have a look at that Udie

Reply with quote  #9 
Wood moves. Especially tension wood.

"Definition of tension wood. : a reaction wood formed on the upper side of tree branches and leaning trunks and characterized by narrower and thinner walled wood and fiber elements, excessive longitudinal shrinkage, and tendency to collapse on drying — compare compression wood"

When you cut a part out of a piece of tension wood and relieve the tension. Some times the movement happens quickly and your table saw blade gets pinched. Sometimes it move slowly so that your perfectly flat board ends up shaped like a potato chip.

Improperly dried wood will move after it is cut and it dries. Construction grade lumber is know to do this.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

IanPlant

Reply with quote  #10 
The wood in question is off a recycled cot it looks like beech

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us