You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Jodywright

Reply with quote  #1 
I thought it might be nice to dye some wood cars which have a nice wood grain pattern rather than paint them.  I still wanted to have bright colors (red, blue, green).  I have found some sites in the US which sell JE Moser dyes, but shipping and custom costs to Canada are horrible.  Do any of you have some tips for me.  The internet suggests food coloring, but that was a bust on my test piece.  They also suggest clothing dye.  I can just use standard wood stain colors, I guess, but I thought a bright color might be nice.
thanks for any help.
Jodywright
ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi - I have done some that looks like dyes but they are still the craft paints.  I have watered down the paint, some as much as 3 parts water to 1 parts paint.  Once the mix is made I dunk the parts.  Mainly used this with puzzles.  The colors aren't "bright" but they are definitely different colors.  Some colors mix with water better than others so you need to experiment.  I've attached some photos and you can see the wood grain through all of these but it is a little hard to tell. 
20131122_065944_resized.jpg 
20131122_065755_resized.jpg 
20131122_065923_resized.jpg 

Jodywright

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks
just regular acrylic latex paint?
Jodywright
Rod T

Reply with quote  #4 
There is a set of dyes available here in Australia. 
I haven't used them so can't comment on how good they are etc. 
But here is the link to the place that sells them.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/dye.html

Cheers
Rod T

Camnight

Reply with quote  #5 
I have used the ubeaut dyes they are not  bad, in the photo, the horse float had been done in dye on red oat timber. Hope this gives you some idea. George

[image]
ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, to the just regular acrylic latex paints.
Jodywright

Reply with quote  #7 
thanks to everyone
cute puzzles and toys people, you guys really make me jealous
Jodywright
kangaroopaws

Reply with quote  #8 
I have the dyes that Rod T mentioned they are good, just used  red on a fret patterned box on  new guinea rosewood  timber and it came out OK, they say can mix with water, but  I found full strength was great, any way my 2 cents worth, and they grain shows through too
rob
adeafguy

Reply with quote  #9 
Try Rockler.com. Several years ago I purchased a number of dye powders. You then mix with water to get the shade (darkness) you desire.  They also have stores across the country.  I used the dyes on toys for my Great grandkids.  Be sure to seal the item after it is dyed.

Quick Navigation:

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us