You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
This one is a lot like the ones we make. Making wheels was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of making toys with CNC.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #2 
This is a really interesting video Bob, thanks for posting.

I'm not really sure CNC is for me personally, I'm far away from being a PC buff, but it obviously has great possibilities for our stuff (and lots of other stuff too of course).

Purely as a matter of interest (and don't feel you have to reply if you'd rather not), what sort of an investment are we looking at here - in very round figures?

I was VERY impressed with the glue up press - a brilliant re-use of a "piece of junk"!

What's the attitude towards hobby CNC over there generally? There are some on this side of the ocean who seem to feel that it's cheating in some way (not saying I agree with that viewpoint myself, but have you heard any such comments)?

Oh, and a nicely made video too.

Thanks

BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Your not gong to get in to CNC for much less than a $1000 US. A lot of the parts are pretty expensive. A router good enough to cut accurately through 1.5 inch stock (2x4) is going to cost between $100 and $200. Add some carbide bits, four stepper motors acme screws etc and we are well over $500. I'm going to say bottom end DIY around $700.

I've see a lot of comments about it being cheating or not woodworking, The Normites and Neanderthals have the same sort of arguments about hand tools vs power tools. The craftsman is what makes the difference. One could have a shop full of the finest tools money can buy and still produce junk. While another person with a few cheap tools can produce works of art.

I don't buy the idea that just because its the old way of doing things its the best.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

wrongway

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi BadBob,

My name is wrongway I got this name from a motorcycle group I belong to.
Never mind that it is a good video reset me thinking. I'am not a computer person but I purchased a plan for a make your own CNC machine but s yet haven't made it.
Where I got it from said you can make it for about $500
I can't afford a real one so my brother and I are going halves.

Any how thanks for posting your video.
AES

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the info BadBob. Interesting, and I guess one can spend way more than your low end USD 700 figure (more this side of the pond too).

Not that I'm interested personally in going the CNC route - not that I'm against the idea either (I agree 100% with your comments about it's "the driver, not the car" that produces the results, and IMHO, it's no more cheating than using any other tool, simple or complex) - it's just interesting to know a bit more about it, even though I feel it's not for me personally.

Thanks for the reply and good luck with your own CNC work - I'll think of you the next time I'm messing about with making some wheels!

;-) 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I don't see myself having one any time soon. I'd need to sell a lot of toys to break even. However, about once a year I check the state of the art and the prices. Prices are coming dome and the machines are getting better. Sooner or later CNC is going to cross a line and become a commodity. All sorts of thngs use the same technology. I saw a machine that was a CNC router, 3D milling machine/carver, laser cutter and 3D printer. The hardware was the same except you had to change the head and software. I didn't bother to look at the price.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks BadBob, sounds interesting.

CFW2017

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks BadBob
A great video, I’m making toys by hand very time consuming and fiddley process, I like the cnc route would save me lots of time, so thanks for sharing just need some spare cash for the purchase.
harry

Reply with quote  #9 
Good video Bob. I am not as computer literate as the people who operate CNC machines, so I will not be taking the plunge. I enjoy working with wood the old fashioned way and take great joy when children’s faces light up after receiving something I make. This is a hobby for me, any monetary gains made will be put back to purchase supplies.
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks BadBob for sharing this video. I am fascinated with the CNC Router. Cynthia and I are going out to Irvine, California in February to visit the new Laguna CNC factory. It is a building that is over 60,000 square feet (150 ft x 400 ft) all dedicated to developing and manufacturing CNC's. The smallest Laguna is 24" x 36" and is supposedly a powerhouse that can machine wood, plastic or any non-ferrous metal with ease and accuracy. It is pricey but might be able to replace just about everything in our little model shop. We will keep you posted.
mlusk123

Reply with quote  #11 
I work with my hands and enjoy it. However; after watching the video, I like the idea of making wheels with it. I bet you could do Craiger Spoked wheels Ha! This is my personal feelings and think I would stay the old fashion way. I like the idea of being able to tell that I made them by hand.  I might buy a cnc if I was able to afford one.  I just like the idea of  being able to make intricate things that I couldn't make by hand. I have difficulty scrolling small cuts because of my reduced vision impairment. Good video Bob, glad you shared it with us. 

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

BadBob

Reply with quote  #12 
I don't see myself having a CNC anytime soon. I could buy one but where would I put it. They take up a lot of floor space than I just don't have right now.

One thing I have figured out is that I want one with the water cooled spindles that are made for CNC. They are a lot quieter and last a lot longer than router motors. Imagine being in your shop with a screaming router motor for hours at a time. The wife and neighbors might have something to say about it to.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

mlusk123

Reply with quote  #13 
Wow Bob, didn’t or had no idea about water cooled. They must be really expensive? Did you have a model in mind?

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

BadBob

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlusk123
Wow Bob, didn’t or had no idea about water cooled. They must be really expensive? Did you have a model in mind?

Not really. There are lots of them to choose from.

eBay
Amazon

The big deal is finding a place to put it.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Mikestoys

Reply with quote  #15 
I have built couple of cnc routers in the past. First two were built from scratch using Momuscnc.com plans these are great cnc for small space and are fully enclosed which is good for noise reduction and and keeping dust down. I have build two of these one was original plans and then he made improvements and it was little better but too small for my use. It has about 12”x12” cutting area but can be resized plus you can pull board through and just tile your project so you can cut any length. This will probably run right around $1000 depending on electronics you pick.

At this time I’m using kit from cncrouterparts.com which has cutting area of 24”x48” but after all said and done it will run around $4500+

These prices don’t include cost of any software, but you can use some free ones available online

If you have any questions just ask.

Mike

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us