You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
This one is a lot like the ones we make. Making wheels was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of making toys with CNC.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #2 
This is a really interesting video Bob, thanks for posting.

I'm not really sure CNC is for me personally, I'm far away from being a PC buff, but it obviously has great possibilities for our stuff (and lots of other stuff too of course).

Purely as a matter of interest (and don't feel you have to reply if you'd rather not), what sort of an investment are we looking at here - in very round figures?

I was VERY impressed with the glue up press - a brilliant re-use of a "piece of junk"!

What's the attitude towards hobby CNC over there generally? There are some on this side of the ocean who seem to feel that it's cheating in some way (not saying I agree with that viewpoint myself, but have you heard any such comments)?

Oh, and a nicely made video too.

Thanks

BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Your not gong to get in to CNC for much less than a $1000 US. A lot of the parts are pretty expensive. A router good enough to cut accurately through 1.5 inch stock (2x4) is going to cost between $100 and $200. Add some carbide bits, four stepper motors acme screws etc and we are well over $500. I'm going to say bottom end DIY around $700.

I've see a lot of comments about it being cheating or not woodworking, The Normites and Neanderthals have the same sort of arguments about hand tools vs power tools. The craftsman is what makes the difference. One could have a shop full of the finest tools money can buy and still produce junk. While another person with a few cheap tools can produce works of art.

I don't buy the idea that just because its the old way of doing things its the best.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

wrongway

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi BadBob,

My name is wrongway I got this name from a motorcycle group I belong to.
Never mind that it is a good video reset me thinking. I'am not a computer person but I purchased a plan for a make your own CNC machine but s yet haven't made it.
Where I got it from said you can make it for about $500
I can't afford a real one so my brother and I are going halves.

Any how thanks for posting your video.
AES

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the info BadBob. Interesting, and I guess one can spend way more than your low end USD 700 figure (more this side of the pond too).

Not that I'm interested personally in going the CNC route - not that I'm against the idea either (I agree 100% with your comments about it's "the driver, not the car" that produces the results, and IMHO, it's no more cheating than using any other tool, simple or complex) - it's just interesting to know a bit more about it, even though I feel it's not for me personally.

Thanks for the reply and good luck with your own CNC work - I'll think of you the next time I'm messing about with making some wheels!

;-) 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I don't see myself having one any time soon. I'd need to sell a lot of toys to break even. However, about once a year I check the state of the art and the prices. Prices are coming dome and the machines are getting better. Sooner or later CNC is going to cross a line and become a commodity. All sorts of thngs use the same technology. I saw a machine that was a CNC router, 3D milling machine/carver, laser cutter and 3D printer. The hardware was the same except you had to change the head and software. I didn't bother to look at the price.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks BadBob, sounds interesting.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us