You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
This is the second car in the Halloween version of the Hot Rod Freaky Ford. The body is made from two layers of 3/4 inch MDF laminated together. In these cars I cut the MDF before gluing them up. I can't cut them well enough on a scrollsaw so there was lots of sanding involved to get the two halves to match. I can glue them and cut both at same time but with 1-1/2 inch thick material you have to cut very slow. I'm not sure yet which works best for me but I'm leaning toward the glue first method. Glue first makes getting the windows right much easier. Sanding inside the windows is quite difficult.

20170522-191843 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black.jpg 20170522-191843 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black

20170522-191904 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black.jpg
20170522-191904 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black

20170522-191930 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black.jpg
20170522-191930 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black

20170522-191949 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black.jpg 20170522-191930 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black

20170522-192030 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black.jpg 20170522-192030 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black

20170522-192100 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black.jpg 20170522-192100 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 32 Deuce Coupe - MDF - Orange - Amber Shellac - Black

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice.

Finish looks spot on as well.
I like these cars.

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed357sw
Very nice.

Finish looks spot on as well.
I like these cars.

Thanks, I think it could be better and I think it will improve as I produce more of these and get more experience. Painting MDF with acrylics is a completely different thing than producing a glass smooth surface on an automobile with pint that was designed for that purpose. I could probably do areal good job with lacquer and buffers but I really don't want to deal with the chemicals.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice, love the paint work, very clean.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastoymaker
Very nice, love the paint work, very clean.

Thank you.

I know where all the bad spots are.[wink]

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
It's interesting how you can work to build something and you have all these parts on the bench none of which you are real happy with but they are the best you can do. You go ahead and put all together and the result is greater than the sum of the parts.

This little car has created quite a stir since I posted it in my usual places last night. I know I got over 100 messages today about this toy. Not exactly viral but its a lot more activity than I'm used to. I picked up some followers and a couple of new Facebook friends that are toy makers. I sent one of them here and he bought the Freaky Ford plans.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Beginner

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi BadBob
Liking the look of this car, well done.
I have a question(well, three actually).
Q1) Will MDF stand up to the hammering a small child will dish out, MDF always seems so soft, especially around the corners/exposed areas.
Q2) Is inch and a quarter/inch and a half MDF available, or do we need to glue 1/2" or3/4" pieces together.
Q3) IF its a case of, "we need to glue pieces together" will PVA do the job, or are we better using Titebond3 for everyhting.
Thanks.
Beginner.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Hi BadBob
Liking the look of this car, well done.
I have a question(well, three actually).
Q1) Will MDF stand up to the hammering a small child will dish out, MDF always seems so soft, especially around the corners/exposed areas.
Q2) Is inch and a quarter/inch and a half MDF available, or do we need to glue 1/2" or3/4" pieces together.
Q3) IF its a case of, "we need to glue pieces together" will PVA do the job, or are we better using Titebond3 for everyhting.
Thanks.
Beginner.

A1) Yes, MDF hold up to children. My grandson Odin, has a toy that you put balls in tight fitting holes and use a hammer to pound the balls through the holes. The hammer head is MDF. At this point it has survived at least two children. The hammer head is showing signs of wear but it still ha lots of pounding yet to go. Note that there are many manufactures of MDF and even with the manufacturer's product line there are different grades.

You need to test the MDF to see if it is suitable for your intended purpose. In the case of my Hot Rod Freaky Fords. These are essentially solid blocks of MDF that  have some holes drilled in them. Yes you can break them, but you have to work at it. I can't break one with my hands which I think might be a good rule of thumb. If you can break it with your hands don't use it for a toy.  Of course it's not going to hold up to getting beat with a hammer, but neither will lots of wood.

Sharp corners are easily damaged. I have one sitting on my bench that I dropped on a concrete floor and broke a chunk out of the left front corner. A pine body would have been damaged but probably not broken.  Odin has a complete set of Hot Rod Freaky Fords made from MDF that he has been playing with for about 20 months. There are some marks and dings but no serious damage.He has been know to throw them.

A2) In my area MDF is available in 1/4 inch through 3/4 inch in 1/4 inch increments. It may come thicker but I've never personally seen it. To get stock for Hot Rod Freaky Fords you will need to glue up two 3/4 inch pieces.

A3) Pretty much any glue will glue it together. I would not use Gorilla glue because of the foaming and its requirement for moisture. I use Titebond II but any of the PVA glues should work fine. I like to use at least a water resistant glue for everything.

I feel I should add something about why I used MDF. Basically, I'm curious. In the True Colors scale I score as green as you can get.  We always want to know why. I got a pile of MDF shelving nearly free and decided to experiment with it. I love experimenting. If I were going shopping today for materials to build toys MDF would not be high on my list. In my  opinion material cost is almost irrelevant. At today's prices at Home Depot it costs about $6 US to but enough S4S Oak to make one of these. There are much cheaper sources of Oak than Home Depot.  If you making them to sell you can generally get more money for hardwood, maybe a lot more and it's easier to work with.

The bottom line is that you can make toys from MDF but I do not recommend it.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob

Thanks, I think it could be better and I think it will improve as I produce more of these and get more experience. Painting MDF with acrylics is a completely different thing than producing a glass smooth surface on an automobile with pint that was designed for that purpose. I could probably do areal good job with lacquer and buffers but I really don't want to deal with the chemicals.

Bad Bob. Great looking car. Do you sell your toys ?
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #10 
One other thing to stress here about MDF (can not be said enough) and any other wood for that matter is to use very good PPE (personal protection equipment). MDF gives off very fine dust and can be nasty on your lungs.
JUST an FYI. Don't let it scare you off but remember to take reasonable care when cutting, sanding this material.

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa Jack

Bad Bob. Great looking car. Do you sell your toys ?

Yes, some of them are forsale at my Etsy store.

http://odinstoyfactory.etsy.com

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed357sw
One other thing to stress here about MDF (can not be said enough) and any other wood for that matter is to use very good PPE (personal protection equipment). MDF gives off very fine dust and can be nasty on your lungs.
JUST an FYI. Don't let it scare you off but remember to take reasonable care when cutting, sanding this material.

Thanks I intended to include that but got distracted. If I had to pick one reason not to use MDF dust would be it.

Reasons to use MDF:

It's cheap.
Demensionaly stable.
Flat and smooth.
Paints well.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

calhanton

Reply with quote  #13 
MDF does come up with a great finish, but it is much better if you paint the edges prior to your final sand before painting with a "Sanding Sealer". They are available in Acrylic or turps based, and I paid about $20 for 4 litres from Masters long before they closed. I have found that you usually need two coats of Acrylic compared to one of the solvent based products. The sanding sealer easily fills all the "grain" of the edges of MDF or any areas where the hard surface has been perforated. The gloss finish is then easy to get all over. You do need to sand with 320 grit after sealing and you will feel the finish is a smooth as glass.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us