Author   Comment  
rdredge

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi! Everybody.  I am wanting to know what type of wood you use when you need 1 1/2 for cars etc.  Also not a wood comment, but what size scroll blade do you use when cutting it?  Thanks!
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi rdredge

I use a lot of Baltic Burch 3/4" plywood, and glue two pieces together before cutting when I need a 1-1/2" wide car or truck.  The plywood is very strong.  This will require a #9 or even a #12 blade.  Sometimes I have used a #5 even, however, if the blade goes bad in the middle of the cut you will start getting deflection.   

Sometimes I use construction grade 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's to cut out simple toys.  Again you will need a bigger blade which might require a little more sanding, but it is not bad depending on how good a cut you are getting with your scroll saw.

On the thicker woods a lot of people will use a band saw with a smaller blade like a 1/4" or 1/2" blade.  This will make corners easier to cut.

Also you can use a redwood 2 x 6 to cut from.  This wood is soft and will dent up a little more, but it is easy to cut, sands, and paints really well.  If you leave it plain wood it looks really good, finished with Polyurethane.  It looks good with just the Mineral Oil Beeswax Paste Wax, from Cynthia at Toymakingplans.com.
Because the redwood is a soft wood you can cut with a #5 blade.  I like to use the PGT blades from Olsen for this type of cutting.

I was just working with a Scroll Saw master who was stack cutting 3 1/4" maple crosses out and using a #2 blade.  I was surprised, because I would have gone with a #5.  He said it is all in the blade, the tension, and the speed you are trying to cut.  He uses small blades all the time.  Interesting.

When I start a project, I like to cut a U shaped piece out of the waste area.  If the cut out come out nice and even I know I have the right blade for the wood I am cutting.  If it comes out with any deflection then I know I don't have a big enough blade, or the tension was too loose, or I was pushing the corner to hard.  Simple test works for me.

Hope something here will help a little bit.

rdredge

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks!  I also use a #5 for 1/2 and 3/4 , what do you use for 1 1/2 thick wood?
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi rdredge

The size of the blade depends on the thickness of the wood and the softness or hardness of the wood.

If it is redwood you can use a #5 when cutting 1-1/2"s.
If it is plywood or a harder wood try a #9 or a #12 when cutting 1-1/2"s.

Note:  I never buy a #7 blade because it is so close to the #5 it is not worth it for me.  

ctowne

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi rdredge -
I missed the 1 on the 1 1/2" wood size on my earlier comment.  For a 1 1/2" I use a #9 and have to switch them out often.   I have not tried a #12.   When I put in the blades I always check to make sure it is still at 90 degrees before cutting. 
Cindy
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
rdredge - You got some great reply's to your post from our membership, thanks to all our girls and boys for their inputs - outstanding feedback.
   On the main web site there is an article titled "How to Choose the Correct Scroll Saw Blade'. You can find it in the "Wood Toy Workshop" section. It discusses scroll saws and blade types as well provides you with a chart identifying what blade to use for various wood thicknesses as a guideline. Great chart to print out and have hanging in the workshop. I've linked the article for you. Enjoy

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.