Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Rob-b

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Forum. I've just completed my first build of the 1890 antique rocking horse. It's has been a fun project with a few challenges particularly lining up the legs so the hoofs are flat on the base. I (like others) added dowels to give extra strength. I added hidden dowlels for the leg joints, going from the inside of the outer body panels before the body panels were glued together. I also added hidden dowlels for the saddle using the saddle blanket piece as the dowel template. I used Cynthia's beeswax to finish the horse.

(I have built a few of the Toymaking Plans toys but this is my first post.) Regards Rob

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 79, Size: 218.02 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 82, Size: 271.12 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 75, Size: 287.19 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 66, Size: 245.51 KB 

Cometoz

Registered:
Posts: 159
Reply with quote  #2 
Masterpiece Rob - Great!!

T
cynthia lewman

Avatar / Picture

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Registered:
Posts: 438
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. For a first time post you've knocked my socks off! Your rocking horse looks beautiful. Can you elaborate on what kinds of wood and stains you used?
john lewman

Avatar / Picture

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Registered:
Posts: 2,873
Reply with quote  #4 
Rob-this post made my breakfast very enjoyable indeed. This is a magnificent build and a beautiful combination of woodgrains, tones, fit and finish. Congrats on a beautiful build. And welcome to the forum. We are looking forward to more great projects from you.
Rob-b

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for your kind comments. The timber I used is laminated radiata pine sheets from Bunnings (Aust hardware chain). The pine is edge glued by the supplier to 600 & 900mm (2&3foot) widths. The thickness is 19mm (3/4). I laminated various parts to get the specified 38mm (1&1/2") thickness. The edge trimmer on the router got its first workout!!!

The saddle blanket and trimmings are 3mm pine I salvaged from an old TV cabinet.

The blanket piece was stained with a blend of walnut & ebony - I used a blend as I didn't have a deep brown stain. The saddle and other trimmings are stained with western jarrah (Wattyl brand) in a water based gel format - easy to apply and to cleanup mistakes.

The only other finish is the beeswax mineral oil blend.
Tony

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 579
Reply with quote  #6 
Very nice build and finish.
Tony

__________________
Tony
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.