Author   Comment  
Rob-b

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Forum. I've just completed my first build of the 1890 antique rocking horse. It's has been a fun project with a few challenges particularly lining up the legs so the hoofs are flat on the base. I (like others) added dowels to give extra strength. I added hidden dowlels for the leg joints, going from the inside of the outer body panels before the body panels were glued together. I also added hidden dowlels for the saddle using the saddle blanket piece as the dowel template. I used Cynthia's beeswax to finish the horse.

(I have built a few of the Toymaking Plans toys but this is my first post.) Regards Rob

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 79, Size: 218.02 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 82, Size: 271.12 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 75, Size: 287.19 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 66, Size: 245.51 KB 

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #2 
Masterpiece Rob - Great!!

T
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. For a first time post you've knocked my socks off! Your rocking horse looks beautiful. Can you elaborate on what kinds of wood and stains you used?
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Rob-this post made my breakfast very enjoyable indeed. This is a magnificent build and a beautiful combination of woodgrains, tones, fit and finish. Congrats on a beautiful build. And welcome to the forum. We are looking forward to more great projects from you.
Rob-b

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for your kind comments. The timber I used is laminated radiata pine sheets from Bunnings (Aust hardware chain). The pine is edge glued by the supplier to 600 & 900mm (2&3foot) widths. The thickness is 19mm (3/4). I laminated various parts to get the specified 38mm (1&1/2") thickness. The edge trimmer on the router got its first workout!!!

The saddle blanket and trimmings are 3mm pine I salvaged from an old TV cabinet.

The blanket piece was stained with a blend of walnut & ebony - I used a blend as I didn't have a deep brown stain. The saddle and other trimmings are stained with western jarrah (Wattyl brand) in a water based gel format - easy to apply and to cleanup mistakes.

The only other finish is the beeswax mineral oil blend.
Tony

Reply with quote  #6 
Very nice build and finish.
Tony

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.