Author   Comment  
Wilders Workshop

Reply with quote  #1 
The description made it seem a little more easy than it was for the amateur woodworker but it was a really fun build and my daughter loves it. Thanks again Toymaking Plans!
I am just amazed at everyones craftsman ship on all these toys you all are so talented, thanks for letting me be apart of this forum!  add.jpg  ad.jpg  12243204_10207909760087555_6655194171784416433_n.jpg

Antique 1890 Rocking Horse

Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Wilders Workshop,

A beautiful job done on the rocking horse. 

Graham.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice.  You did an excellent job and it looks like fun. 
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
This is absolutely wonderful. I love the photography!
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #5 
The rocking horse looks great and the little rider looks very happy!
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #6 
Very nicely done. Looks like you have a happy camper there as well. [thumb]

Thanks for sharing with the board. Come back and show more stuff LOL

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks everyone, means a lot, this was my first "toy" build, and I loved it, not only is it fun but I look forward to making more toys, maybe with Christmas bonus I'll pick up a scroll saw, right now I just have basic carpenter tools mitre saw, table saw, band saw ect and few jigs but after seeing everyones talent it gives me inspiration to make more.
thanks again
-jake
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Jake

First, big welcome to the Forum.

What a beautiful job you did, and I just love the big smile, great photo.
Also, from the looks of this build we will be able to learn a lot from you.
Will be looking forward to seeing more of your work.

My brother just visited us in Calif. and got interested in Scroll Sawing.
He is the kind that will go out and buy the biggest and the best when he decides to do something.
I recommended he go buy a very inexpensive scroll saw from Sears.  I think they are about $130.00.
Also, buy or look up on line a beginning book about learning to use the scroll saw and how it cuts differently that any other kind of saw you might have used.
Well, he did follow the advice given, however, he bought two of them.

The reason I recommend an inexpensive saw to start is because it will cut almost every scroll saw plan Toymakingplans.com has, and what more do you need to begin with.

Be sure to buy a saw that takes a 5" blade, because most of the higher quality blades will be made in 5", the craftsman from Sears takes a 5"blade in both a pinned and a straight blade.  You will want to learn and use the straight blade because as you get better, and start doing really fine work, you will want the smallest entry hole possible for you fret work.

By the way, I used my Craftsman from Sears for a 1-1/2 years before buying a bigger fancier saw.
The reason I expanded was to get a tilt head saw and bigger table, and easier blade access.

Just a couple of ideas.

Will be looking forward from hearing more from you and seeing more of your work.

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #9 
Fantastic. Love the paint colour choices.

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #10 
I really like the dowel pins you put on the saddle. It's a beautiful detail!
Wilders Workshop

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for the tips Ken, I appreciate it. I'll keep that in mind when I go shopping.
Also I forgot to mention if anyone hasn't built this yet and is interested in building this rocker, feel free to ask to ask any questions. I made a few jigs to hold the horse body up while attaching the legs and brace pieces of the rocker, it sure made everything that much more easy to mount level and straight. I also added in some hardwood dowels to the legs for more support and I'm ashamed to say this but a couple pin nails, (spots you can't see) and I filled them but still I cheated :/ lol. I also drilled a couple holes in the center of the dowels of the handle bars and foot pegs and squirted glue inside it before I glued them in place to give a little more strength.
Hope this info is helpful to anyone.
Wilders Workshop

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks Cynthia! I actually had more plans to do to this but I had a few projects around the house I needed to attend and if I put this horse off any longer my daughter would out grow it lmao she's sprouting like a weed.
I really wanted to route in her name on the bottom of the rocker, oh well thats just me being picky a 2 year old could careless.
Peterb803

Reply with quote  #13 
Mr. Wilder....,

Fantastic work. I am new here and have begun my first project,

[Heirloom-Rocking-Horse-Sm]

I have begun cutting out the pieces.

In an earlier post, you said this:

" I made a few jigs to hold the horse body up while attaching the legs and brace pieces of the rocker, it sure made everything that much more easy to mount level and straight. "

I am not there yet, but I would like to know your ideas, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

thank you,
pb

garywisbey

Reply with quote  #14 
really nice work there 

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.