Author   Comment  
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #1 
I bought this project a while ago and just now getting around to it.  I really enjoyed doing this and went together very quick and easily.

Here are some pictures.
-Bill[013[1]]

Scroll Saw Magic Vintage 1927 Bi-Plane

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 100_3847.jpg, Views: 116, Size: 32.86 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_3848_-_Copy.jpg, Views: 117, Size: 34.15 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_3846.jpg, Views: 106, Size: 24.60 KB 

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

don2352

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice job!
Doc

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice work there Bill.

Reply with quote  #4 
Nice job on the plane. It is one of my favorites, and someday I will try build it just like this.
Lloyd
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
Bill (wwalker47)
Looks good. At what stage of assembly did you put the diagonal braces in? I get that question frequently.
Have you got any tips and tricks about the assembly of this project. Would like to hear them.
Udie

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Bill

I would also like to know your tricks for getting the diagonal braces in your project.

I have trouble getting them to fit just right.  I get them cut the same, but then the wing might be just a fraction off and they don't fit tightly enough when I go to assemble the wing.

Also, how did you paint them?  Before or after you assembled the wing.

Thanks for any info you can give.

wwalker47

Reply with quote  #7 

-Udie and Ken

Well, nothing like being late on an answer. I was looking through the forum and just found this.

I put the wing struts in after I glued the bottom wing on. I just put in each strut in and then put the top wing on.  Then after all the struts where in the correct holes I carefully pushed the wings together until the struts were even with the wing surface, the glue helped in the lubrication. After the vertical struts were dry I put on the cross struts. I had to adjust the angle to the wing surface with sandpaper a little at a time.

I painted all of the struts before installing them. I did not paint the part that went into the holes, l just touched up after.

I hope that answers the question.

-Bill [013[1]]

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #8 
Great job Bill I've bought this pattern as well but haven't got around to doing it yet working on Christmas stuff, nice to see some tips. thanks for showing

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.