Author   Comment  
Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
     I find the discussions in this forum very interesting and informative! I am a novice toymaker from South Africa and would like to share my latest project with you It is a 1934 Chevvy coupe of which I have made 2 of. I am inserting a picture and would appreciate comments.
 1934 Chevvy Coupe.jpg 
Regards
Dolf

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Dolf
Excellent work and thank you for posting.
I see that it looks like you have made your own spoke wheels.
I'm sure our members would really like to learn how you made them and learn if any special jigs were required to make them.
Seeing that you are in South Africa, I have to ask what types of wood did you use?
Your finish treatment looks great, what did you apply?
I also took a look at the photos you posted in your album in your member's profile section, excellent work displayed there also.
osni chioveto

Reply with quote  #3 
Excelente trabalho Dolf

Parabéns, eu gosto muito de carros antigos.
Um abraço
Osni
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow Dolf
     These two cars look awesome, please share more when you have time.  We would love to here how you do what you do and how long have you been working with wood.
Great Job

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
Dolf, one word remarkable..

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
These are beautiful.  Great design and finish. 
Cindy
Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. I have decided to start  making wooden toys since I retired about a year ago. Basically to keep me occupied and out of mischief! I am really enjoying it and cannot wait to get into my workshop!

I used origin pine, cherry, oak and imbuia plus some scrap wood from a pallet to build the models. Most of the wood that I use are small/scrap pieces which friends are kind enough to donate.

As far as the finish of the toys are concerned, I have found that making toys and getting a good finish requires a lot of sanding. Starting with a 80 grit and going right up to a 600 grit in stages, which requires a lot of patience and perspiration. I use a varnish, Woodock 10, which gives a satin finish and which I spray on. Useally about 3 - 4 coats.

Yes, making the spoked wheels is a challenge. I am still experimenting with jigs and am not that successful yet. The diameter of the holes for the spokes on the toys that I like to make, is 2 mm. These drills are very thin and flexible, causing it to wonder off in a direction  of their own.

Regards
Dolf
Udie

Reply with quote  #8 
Dolf - Thanks for the breakdown on materials used and your finish method. Looking forward to learning a little more about your wheel fabrication when you get the time.
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #9 
My comment is: WOW! That's great work! - Bill [013[1]]

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #10 
Dolf;
   For a start these are superb and the finish is great. All of this out of wood that is pretty much donated by your friends I need the same kind of friends that you have!! Great and show us how the spokes are done maybe if you show the jig that you are trying to make we can help you to prefect it I almost think there are a few with experience in this area.
Don
Wholesaletoys

Reply with quote  #11 
Wow!!!! these are so beautiful.
Lloyd

Reply with quote  #12 
Excellent job Dolf and love the finish and the colors
Bucko

Reply with quote  #13 
Great cars, that's the look I enjoy.
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #14 
Great job on those Dolf -  thanks for sharing!

Reply with quote  #15 
Great job! Love the spoked wheels too!
I'm going to start on a 33 ford soon that is very similar to yours....I'm going to try and use bicycle spokes for my spokes though.....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.