Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
1950 Truck. Body is Walnut, Sides, bumpers, grill and doors are Tasmanian Blackwood and the Guards are Rock Maple. Lot of fun to make. Bit of trouble gluing up as the Tightbond glue didn't like the freezing cold that we are experiencing here at the moment. Got there eventually. 
Might have to try a chop top and tubbed back wheels rat rod version. 
I would love a real one of these to drive around in.

Truck 1.jpg Truck 2.jpg Truck 3.jpg Truck 4.jpg Truck 5.jpg Truck 6.jpg Truck 7.jpg

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is beautifully executed and the photos are outstanding. The wood choices are superb and the workmanship is flawless. Congrats!
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
This is awesome.  Beautiful wood choices.  Very nice looking truck.  I really like the satin finish you used.  Can you tell us which it is.  the sanding looks smooth as silk.
Cindy
Rod T

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctowne
This is awesome.  Beautiful wood choices.  Very nice looking truck.  I really like the satin finish you used.  Can you tell us which it is.  the sanding looks smooth as silk.
Cindy

Hi Cindy.
I use an orange (citrus) based oil. Basically a furniture polish. Works nice on raw timber with a few coats. Makes the finished item smell like oranges.
Cheers, Rod T
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello Rod T,
Very nicely done truck. Are the doors cut and fitted in place or are they edged in just to look like it ?

I like the look though, and thanks for sharing with the group.

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi ed357sw

I cut the doors separately and then fitted them in. Grain running the other way. took a bit of sanding to fit them, but they worked out ok. I recently made the Woody wagon and Van, but didn't cut the doors out at all on that one. Thought I would go the extra mile on this one.

I also made the tabs on the bumpers wider (Underneath where they glue to the body). Thought they wouldn't glue too well, so made them wider and then put a dowel through each one to make double sure they wouldn't come off.

Cheers
Rod T
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.