Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone.

Been a while since I have been on the forum.

Thought I would put my custom build of a slide on camper for the 1950 Truck up here for you all to see.

Could also be an Ice Cream Truck or Hot Dog Truck. 

Here is a pic of the finished camper on the truck

Finished5.jpg 
First I printed out the the plans for the Truck and then re-scanned them, then joined them together and printed out on A3 size sticker. Just to save having to join the plans together on the timber.

This first image shows the Walnut I used for the body. You can see my marks on the plans where I made the bed deeper to cater for the camper. The piece of timber at the top is Tassie Blackwood, I used this for the sides and doors for the truck. The piece of Rock Maple at the bottom of the pic didn't get used for this project.

Layout1.jpg 
Here I cut the piece of Tassie Blackwood down the middle on the Bandsaw.

Cutting1.jpg 

This next image shows how much the wood cupped after re-sawing.
I clamped them down for a week to flatten.

Wood1.jpg 
Wood2.jpg 
I then machined the Walnut down to 3/4 inch on my thicknesser, laid out the stickers and cut them out on the Scroll Saw.

Layout2.jpg 

TruckConstruction1.jpg 
Same again for the sides and guards of the truck

Layout3.jpg 

Cutting out the doors on the scroll saw. I learnt the hard way to always do the internal cuts first and then the outside shape.

TruckConstruction2.jpg 

Here I am drilling the light sockets in the guards with my drill press jig.
I made this jig a few years ago for another project and it sat around doing nothing.
Now I have the perfect use for it. Just made out of MDF, but nice and solid. I also stuck some sandpaper to the face since these photos were taken. Stops small pieces slipping etc.

Drill1.jpg 

Drill2.jpg 

Sanding.. sanding.... sanding.... with my Bobbin Sander and home made Disk Sander.
Disk Sander blew up in the middle of this, thought I would need to buy a new one, but rewired the power lead and off she went again.

Sanding1.jpg 

Sanding2.jpg 

Now the fun begins with the design and construction of the Slide on Camper.
While I was gluing up the truck, I started working out the Camper.
Made this template first, so that I could trace around it for the internal body pieces.

Camper1.jpg 

Here is the finished 1950 Truck. I was originally going to do a flip down tailgate, but couldn't work out how to include this without it getting in the way of the camper.

So only modifications to the original plan are a deeper bed and no tailgate.

Truck1.jpg 

Truck2.jpg 

The bumpers are made out of New Guinea Rosewood.

I then cut out 3 pieces for the internal body of the Camper. 3/4 inch Pine.

Camper2.jpg 

and then 2 outer body pieces from 3/4 inch Pine. Cut to fit the sides of the bed.

Camper3.jpg 

Here you can see all 5 pieces together.

Camper4.jpg 
Camper5.jpg 

Next I had to work out the rear door.
I cut these out of each of the 3 internal body pieces.
Glued them together and then glued all 5 body pieces together. 
I then fitted the door into place and drill holes through the outside body pieces for little 4mm dowels for the hinge.

Camper6.jpg 
Camper8.jpg 
Camper9.jpg 
Camper10.jpg 

I then cut out the side panels from a piece of African Dante.

Camper7.jpg 

I also needed 2 pieces for the internal body, to make the bottom part of the body soild but still slide onto the truck. These were cut from 3/8 inch Pine and glued into place.

The following pictures are of the completed camper. The trickiest part was making the door. For future builds I would probably alter the sides pieces to cover the dowel hinges. Rather than having these pieces straight at the bottom, I would make them droop down at the back so that they cover the dowels, but also make it so that the camper still slides on and doesn't catch on these side pieces.

Finished1.jpg 
Finished2.jpg  Finished3.jpg  Finished4.jpg  Finished5.jpg  Finished6.jpg  Finished7.jpg  Finished8.jpg  Finished10.jpg  Finished11.jpg  Finished12.jpg

Enjoy

Cheers
Rod T

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
Rod,

Thanks for stopping by. I like the build. It came out very nicely.

Thanks for sharing the build process, it offered up a couple of ideas for me to do in the shop, that is of course if I don't forget what it was by the time I get back in the shop LOL

Reply with quote  #3 
I love this - it is very cute - and looks like an easy adaptation.  Thanks for sharing.
Cindy
Tony

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice wood selection and plan mods. Thanks for sharing.
Tony

Reply with quote  #5 
Rod,

Nicely done and thanks for sharing. I like your choice of woods. I notice that you have taken great care in cutting all the panels as they line up nicely.

Very neatly done!!

Regards

Dolf
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #6 
Really like it,good work.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
I just discovered this fantastic post. I don't know how I missed it. The camper addition is genius and perfectly matches the pickup styling. And thanks for postinf such a detailed how-to. I have found it very helpful as I plan to build my own copy of your design.
Tony Blinson

Reply with quote  #8 
Great choice of wood. Very nice cuts and details. Happy Woodworking!
Holzmichel

Reply with quote  #9 
I love it. I'm just starting to make the pickup with the pony trailer for my grandniece. I hope you won't mind me making a copy of your camper next (for my private shelf!)
Rod T

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the replies everyone, I am glad you all like the camper addition.

Please feel free to copy it. I would love to see pics when they are done.

The trickiest part was working out the door. I had to sand off the pointed bit at the bottom of the body, so that the door would swing all the way down. It works really well. An improvement could be to install a few steps on the inside of the door so that it is a step ladder when open. 

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Sweet looking pickup. I really enjoy looking at photos of the build process.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

wwalker47

Reply with quote  #12 
That's just great!!

What a fantastic idea on the slide on camper.  I sure would like the plans for that project.

Thanks for posting the details.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.